Can't get my amp to sound good, ready to sell

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The impression I'm getting is that you're EQ'ing the amp to give you that immediate attack and buzz-saw tone...the closest I've got to that using the Modular stuff is to use an Ultra XL or a Recto/Treadplate grail scooped a bit, with a lot of gain and then use an SD-1 overdrive pedal for the 'edge' on the tone.

I'm sure an EMG81 loaded guitar helps too ;)

I don't like that tone so much these days but it sounds like what you're aiming for.

Honestly...having read all your posts...it sounds like you'd be happier with one of the Solid State Randalls.

Well, attack is a vital part of getting those really low notes to cut through. The xiphos guitars are not designed to enhance attack, they seem to be built as more of a lead guitar than a rhythm guitar: that thick, fat tone. But, there are other steps you can take to enhance the attack of your guitar. First, get a nice thick, pointy pick. Icepix makes metal picks that are very nice. I bought the stainless steel ones, then dremeled them down to jazz size and gave them very sharp points. Quite a few underground metal guitarists use pointy, metal picks. Another thing you can do is switch to stainless steel strings. IDK what brands make 7 string stainless steel sets, but the difference is night and day. Also, thin gauge strings will help clear up your sound. Of course, thick strings help keep the tension better on the low B, but using 9's actually will help in hardcore music because they give you less boominess and give the guitar more of a "slugga" sound due to the slacker tension, and that "slugga" sound will give your guitar sound a more percussive attack, which helps the low notes cut through. Also, I really recommend ditching the Celestions. Celestions are too smooth for hardcore if you ask me. I'm quite partial to neodymium speakers (I'm partial to neodymium everything, really :p ); Eminence makes some affordable ones that are nice. But my whole point is that there is more to sound than EQ: every link in the chain is important.

And really, I think the Kerry King amp sounds like crap: warm and fuzzy. Then again, I don't think the Slayer guys really care that much about their sound. For face melting, extreme distortion there are only two options if you want clarity: use a solid state or digital amp, or use single coil pickups. I use an RM4 into a solid state head, and I use overwound P90's 95% of the time, and I have to gate so hard it's ridiculous, but compromises must be made when playing high gain.

Ok, I'm ditching the deactivators. Stay tuned for a video of me smashing them. I'm almost + this is my problem.

Now for modules.

What will give me a high gain marshall sound? The sound of the black album is too dry sounding if you ask me. Too barky I guess.

So I got some money for 2 modules. What do you think? Or do you think I'd be best off to get some different speakers? I mean I tried V30's and some British Leads and some celestion T12-100's in this thing and the result is the same.

Thanks for the help fellas. I'm not wanting to ditch this rig.

I tune my 6 strings down to D and drop the low down to C, (until i get a 7 string myself) I had the Ultra Lead and I have to agree with you that the Ultras are honky but they shredd like no other.

The 1086 will provide that scooped marshall sound wich is what i use it for and its brutal. I modded my Rectidied to the Grail specs except for C3 is at .oo1 not 500pf. I now love my Rectified wheras before it was so boomy and muddy.

Like you unconvetional I was playing my new jackson with the Invaders in it, I was so determined to get it dialed in that i forgot about my EMGs and I almost sold my RM100 rig, WOW what an idiot i would have been. Get some EMGs or at least actives in that Xiphos then try new speakers.

I had the famous G-Flex cab and hated it even with the EMGs, I wanted a sound that your after, Bite, growl, Kill no flab no mud no BS just shredd paint of the walls. I promise you that this amp will deliver dont give up.
Im a V30 kinda guy and even G12T-75, IMO they are just are bulit for
metal.
Aside from that, someone mentioned a boost in the front, I could not agree more, I use a modded TS-9 in my chain and i never have it off, i use a modded GE-7 for lead boost to warm the tone up durring soloing. With the TS-9 off my tone is great i love it, but for that crunch and bite I need it on. The SD-1 is my next adventure I have heard that thing is awesome in the front of an amp.

Also if your new to the tube sound, it's a whole new ball park, it took me about 3 years to really understand the dynamics that tube offers and to adjust to the change really. I have changed powertubes and pretubes KT88 and KT66 for power and it crushes, and JJecc83 in most of the amps pre sections as well as some groovetubes 12ax7s.

Other than that just hang in there, all these guys are here to help you succeed in you quest for tone and they are way more knowlegable about this amp than me so your off to a good start on this posting.

Good luck.

Thanks Hunter.

What a load of info, thanks.

1086 you say? Everybody else seems to not like that module, but hey, I'm not everyone else. I ordered some duncan blackouts. They'll be here thursday.

As for the recto, how did you mod it? I have the 3 cap mod with a switch. What else can I do to that thing?

Also, I notice there are different tube screamer models, which one do I want? So I run that in front of the preamp I'm assuming?

Finally what about tubes? KT88? KT66? I never heard of them. I'm finding the 6L6's I have too dark. They are JJ's I think? Or the ones that come with the RT2/50. So I replaced everything with EL34 Russian Grooves and russian Grooves in the preamp.

If you could, what do you recommend for tubes, brand, etc...

Thanks for the help.

Wanted to mention what a difference it made on the wood floor to remove the castors on the cab. Made a lot of difference. I have a laminate wood floor over dricore.

TheHunter said:
I tune my 6 strings down to D and drop the low down to C, (until i get a 7 string myself)

I found a new Epi Les Paul Gothic 7 string shipped for $269 shipped- great deal...I can't find the link, but I'll dig around if you're interested, they're $299 everywhere else

The tone is real real close to my 6 string Gibson Gothic- and that low 7 rules, as well as the cheap price tag

I found most people love the 1086, I'm not sure what/where OP is reading
I'm also curious as to how one discovers that the power tubes are "too dark". If you're blasting the amp too super loud volumes, otherwise the powertubes are one of the last things that I find make up the foundation of a guitar tone. My 6L6s are not muddy/dark at all, I wonder if you have something funky going on over there

unconventional said:
Thanks Hunter.

1086 you say? Everybody else seems to not like that module, but hey, I'm not everyone else. I ordered some duncan blackouts. They'll be here thursday.

That was the first module I suggested you grab weeks ago on sevenstring.org man. You need to listen to me already, I've played around with these amps for quite a while! :lol: :wink:

I think it's the modules guys and the pickups. The Ultra sounds fine with the 6L6's

The other modules - treadplate and xtc are useless for metal. I use the EL's with those to brighten up the tone. I like your typical scooped Marshall high gain tone, but I don't scoop like I use to. The XTC and Treadplate modules don't do that tone. What they do well is mud and I screwed up not once, but twice by buying those.

What can I get for them used? They have the 3 cap mode on both with a small switch and blue LED. professional job I did on both with shrinkwrap around the wiring, etc... they're just not a metal module.

Kevin

guitarguy510 said:
unconventional said:
Thanks Hunter.

That was the first module I suggested you grab weeks ago on sevenstring.org man. You need to listen to me already, I've played around with these amps for quite a while! :lol: :wink:

Sorry man, I got so many f'n threads all over the place I think I missed that. So it's done, 1086 will be ordered today. What else? I'm getting rid of the treadplate and the xtc, they suck.

I'm getting rid of the treadplate and the xtc, they suck.

Wow. Maybe in your situation they're not right, but "suck" seems inaccurate. I like them both. Someone should swoop in on these pieces now while the OP is disgusted!

Yes, I am overstating, LOL. They might be grand for someone who plays 80's type rock or hair band metal? I don't know.

Let me restate - "they suck for the particular application in which I'm trying to use them, this is my own statement and has nothing to do with Randall, Bogner, or Mesa Boogie"

There, better? :lol:

So, I'm looking to pull the trigger on a 1086. Should I get rid of the Treadplate or mod it into a grail? As mentioned it's got the 3 cap switch, but what else would I need to mod it to grail? Hate is a harsh word, it's not terrible, but muddy in the middle and not enough gain.

So I'm thinking $300 for both of them?

unconventional said:
So, I'm looking to pull the trigger on a 1086. Should I get rid of the Treadplate or mod it into a grail? As mentioned it's got the 3 cap switch, but what else would I need to mod it to grail? Hate is a harsh word, it's not terrible, but muddy in the middle and not enough gain.

There are 3 resistors R1,2 and 3 I think that are different on the Grail...as note by pete these are 150Ohm (not k Ohm...sorry for the mis-print)

unconventional said:
Any idea about resistors folks?

Radio Shack has 1/2 1/4 and 1 watt 150 ohm

1/2 W ... I picked up the blue coloured ones which I think are better tolerance / temperature stability than the stock ones :D

Thanks, that was easy. Can't really tell much of a difference. Little more gain?

Seems more responsive with the 6 string. I'll post some clips of it.

Well to answer your question on the tube screamer. I got one for 80 bucks then moded it with monte allums mods, the cheap one, I have played around with different op amps and I like the BURRBROWN chip in it, it f**king shredds.

As for the Grail mod JKD is right on the money 150k 1/2 w resistor R1-3, you can get cheapies at RADIOSHACK fro like 3 bucks for 10 of them. Honestly I love the way it made my recto sound, yes less gain but I juice it up with the TS-9 so I have great tone and killer shredd.

My tubes i did a lot of research on this forum and on other forums, I think its the VHTs that have KT88 in one of there heads, They produce more voltage and more output, very unique much like a hotroded 6505 tube tons of crushing power. Now the KT66 are much like the 6L6gc i guess. never tried one but i love my set up. With the KT88 youll need to back the density off allot otherwise its real fizzy. I like attack and crunch so i had to any way.

The 1086 can get you tons similar to your Recto but aslo tone similar to a marshall whcih i love.

I played my buddies 7 sting ESP last night with an Invader in it and holy crap it shredds so nice, I didnt have to tweak anything Its a murderous sound I love it. The V30s help the 7 stay in front and not get all muddy and washed out, it was clear and articulate even tuned down to A.