Can't get my amp to sound good, ready to sell

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the problem you're having with adjusting your tone is that you're thinking of what sounds good to you. Every good guitarist goes through this. If you'd think in terms of a mix, as in drums, bass, vox, and perhaps another guitar, I think you'd see your tone in a whole new light. Have you done any full band recordings with your 7 string? I can tell you that your current tone settings would bury your guitar: it would be competing with the bass and bass drum, not to mention that guy grunting like a gorilla in the microphone :p . Honestly, great guitar tone sounds really thin and wimpy with nothing else in the mix. If your only goal is to play for yourself in your bedroom, then EQ however sounds good to you, but if you're looking at getting a real, functional tone in a band, especially a heavy metal band, you want your tone to be thin and harsh.

I kinda think your playing room has to much solid parallel surface area. It's a nice looking jam room but the smaller dimensions without some dampening is going to mess up the way you hear everything no matter what amp you use. There are some very nice looking acoustic foams you can get, plus some cheaper ones that work just as good. Adding it to portions of your walls and corners will really help balance things. Just follow the instructions.

I think this may be your problem because I noticed you have to use an *** load of Pres and Dens in your recordings to manage a good tone. You are getting standing sound waves in your room and they literally kill sound.

TheHunter said:
As for the Grail mod JKD is right on the money 150k 1/2 w resistor R1-3, you can get cheapies at RADIOSHACK fro like 3 bucks for 10 of them. Honestly I love the way it made my recto sound, yes less gain but I juice it up with the TS-9 so I have great tone and killer shredd.

The R 1-3 values are 150ohm-1/2 watt. If you're using a Treadploate then chances are that these values are already installed, but check to be sure. The other mod is C3 changed to .0005'ish (.00047).

I also have a TS9 with my Treadplate and it's GREAT!

My .02

SacredGroove said:
TheHunter said:
As for the Grail mod JKD is right on the money 150k 1/2 w resistor R1-3, you can get cheapies at RADIOSHACK fro like 3 bucks for 10 of them. Honestly I love the way it made my recto sound, yes less gain but I juice it up with the TS-9 so I have great tone and killer shredd.

The other mod is C3 changed to .0005'ish (.00047).

And don't use a ceramic disc cap in C3. Anything but that type of capacitor is better in the C3 position.