Drews Detuned Cabinet Experiment

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Reaction score
I had some scraps of wood from big projects hanging around so I decided to build a detuned cabinet. Unfortunately the flash blows right through the grill cloth so its beauty is lost

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.jpg

Try going to a shutter speed manual mode on your camera. Try longer shutter speeds to allow the sensor to pickup more light. You might get better pics that way.

Chad said:
Try going to a shutter speed manual mode on your camera. Try longer shutter speeds to allow the sensor to pickup more light. You might get better pics that way.

Thanks, I bought a DVD on using the D70 but I keep falling asleep when watching it.

Hi

Heres Kevin O'Connors description
What is "Detuned?"

London Power's "detuned" cabinet approach has been satisfying musicians since the 1970s. Many cabinet design methods have come and gone over the years - some should have just stayed away - but the detuned method permits the generation of the best sound and the highest output from any driver. Originally developed around the EV Force-series drivers, the detuned approach has been applied widely to other brands with great results.

? Celestion
? Eminence
? WeberVST
? Jensen
? Altec
? JBL
? Take your pick!
? Use what you already have and get better sound from this box design

Research affirms that the design is non-driver-specific - a great boon to players and hobbyists alike. You do not need Theile-Small parameters or any arcane information about your driver - its diameter is its only relevant parameter. Some "real" speaker designers will tell you this simply cannot be, but their thinking is founded on the constraints of traditional design.

Fortunately, Kevin O'Connor plays both guitar and bass, and desired cabinets that could perform well with both instruments, without compromise. Tone is the goal, where TL cabinets are designed for small size. The detuned approach was the answer.

So... what exactly does "detuned" mean?

Detuned means "not critically tuned". Detuned design is a ported, sealed-back design using both a larger cabinet and a larger port size than is customary. This produces a dynamic and open sound while throwing all of the sound forward. Room location is not an issue, although positioning the cabinet on the floor augments bass output, as in any other cabinet.

Size matters!

How large is "large"?

Our cabinets are typically twice the size you would expect for any given driver complement. Our 112 is bigger than most 212s and has more bass output than the average 412. But, we've had to keep the box sizes manageable for shipping, and happily they are ten to forty pounds lighter without the EV drivers.

My cabinet is loosely based on one from this book

http://www.londonpower.com/books/spkr.htm

This isn't a hugely relevant question, but although a detuned cab can house various drivers, is it not true that a majority of drivers would not work their best under those circumstances?

I have several sets of speakers that in their spec state they can only work with closed back cabs and my understanding is that an open back/ported cab would cause damage to these speakers as there is less back-pressure restricting the speaker travel.

If anyone could reveal the truth on this that would be wicked!

El_Thwatez said:
This isn't a hugely relevant question, but although a detuned cab can house various drivers, is it not true that a majority of drivers would not work their best under those circumstances?

I have several sets of speakers that in their spec state they can only work with closed back cabs and my understanding is that an open back/ported cab would cause damage to these speakers as there is less back-pressure restricting the speaker travel.

If anyone could reveal the truth on this that would be wicked!

Come on over to powerscaling.com and ask Kevin O Connor directly