how to use a RM22 in large venues?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack Napalm said:
I had my RM20 cranked up today and took some db readings and could easily get 110db.

Holy backline, batman. 110 db out of an 18 watter with that 1x12? That sounds crazy. 110 is a jet.

It disperses quickly...105 on the grill becomes a "quiet" 85 when you stand a few feet in front of the cab, like near where your pedalboard would be

I'm guessing an engine jet is 110 from a good distance

What? Can't hear you over my amp.

My experience is different. I had the 1x12 on the ground and I was about 10 feet away with the db meter at stomach height. It was loud, very loud.

:?

Thanks Jack, this helps me diagnose...are you biasing extra within suggsted range or hot?

crankyrayhanky said:
:?

Thanks Jack, this helps me diagnose...are you biasing extra within suggsted range or hot?

I don't think so. I bought the head from a friend and he never mentioned anything like that and I have never heard him talk about doing that to any of his amps. I have not done anything with it.

Looks like Sovtek EL84's in the power section. Not sure if that is stock or not.

crankyrayhanky said:
the boost in the rm20 is different than other amps...it adds a natural tube compressed feel that is awesome for leads. I would love to that have that option on the other amps...or perhaps there's a pedal that can do this smooth/gain compressed vibe?

lol, I just told someone else no to compressors...
I've never found a compresser that can do that tube compressed sound...

Okay, got an RM22 Wednesday. First new amp ever, BTW. Came with an RM 20 manual and no instructions to get the foot pedal running, but I got it figured out.

Practiced with it today with a drummer and another guitar and never even got to 1/2 way on the volumes. I ran it through an Avatar 212 loaded with a Celestion G12H30 and an Eminence Red Coat the Governer. (Still haven't figured out my speakers yet, although it sounded very good!) Of course I was using Gigmods modules which tend to be a bit louder than stock.

this make sme wonder if the best course for randall is 3 Module 18 watt tube combo!
It would be light, versatile and with a good cab...enough for gigging.

I have an Rm50 and its good..but remarkably heavy and 2 modules just isnt enough..and an Rm100 is way to heavy.

GtrGeorge! said:
this make sme wonder if the best course for randall is 3 Module 18 watt tube combo!
It would be light, versatile and with a good cab...enough for gigging.

I have an Rm50 and its good..but remarkably heavy and 2 modules just isnt enough..and an Rm100 is way to heavy.

About that weight thing for the RM100...

Admittedly this is just an opinion, but the RM100 is quite manageable if I say so myself. It's an 80 or 90 pound 2x12 on wheels with some very nice handles. On flat ground, it's easier to move than my dinky 1x10 Roland cube, just because it has decent handles and wheels! It IS heavy, but if you are the kind of person willing to carry something remotely heavy (Note, you CAN carry this in one hand with only a minimum of arm strength and not be worried) then there is nothing to worry about. Lifting it into a car is a *****, but a head and 2x12 (god forbid 4x12s plural) is far worse, and you'd likely be lacking room for it all in anything but a large trunk.

Right now, the RM100 is the only full (note, not rack) amp offering three slots (short of the RM1250 I suppose, though that's basically over-kill by RAMBO standards outside of a studio)

Latest posts