Is the RM100 right for me

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's not a whole lot of difference in tone in the typical production 4/12 cabs. The biggest difference is if the speakers and front or rear mounted...
and strait front sounds fuller to me than angled cabs..

yeah my straight cab (a randall warhead w/vintage 30's) sounds better than any other angled cab ive tried with vintage 30's in it.
-mp-

Go straight cab over slanted if tone is your priority - slanted cabs sound fine but if you have one cab, the straight design provides more interior space. They just don't look as cool (subjectively) as a slant.

I really love how big my 2x12 Egnater tour master cab sounds ... It's oversized a fair bit for 2 speakers, and has a back panel that can be removed for open back sound if you want. And weighs less than 4 speakers (still needs casters though),

Thanks for the info, it is helping me decide.

VitaminG said:
if money is tight, you can get something good for way better than $1000 by looking at secondhand cabs. There's a dude selling a Framus Dragon cab loaded with v30s on Aus Ebay for $700 right now.

the difference will leave you plenty to get the Randall footswitch

I live about 2000km away from this seller so adding a couple of hundred in courier costs puts it up to around the $1000 anyway, but I will keep an eye on this.

The look is not as important as the tone so I have no issue with a straight cab.

Oregon said:
Go straight cab over slanted if tone is your priority - slanted cabs sound fine but if you have one cab, the straight design provides more interior space. They just don't look as cool (subjectively) as a slant.

Strange I prefer the look of straight cabs over slanted.

I would tend to agree, but might be biased cause I remember when I learned and heard the difference and tone matters more?

But in a full stack I dunno if I'd have two straights stacked? But i just don't need that much volume ever... One 4x12 seems plenty loud to pummel a rogue drummer into submission lol, and really that's where a PA should take over in my experience.

Of course my old band wore ear plugs on stage back in the day, so what do I know about bleeding ears and popped circuit breakers lol.

Personally, I'm done with 4x12s. My Recto vertical 2x12 is all I need. I think it's pretty rare for users of 4x12s to actually need them.

I'm with you there man. And my arm workouts are best left to the gym... It's carrying too much gear over the years - I'd prefer to just mic up a combo, but if I have to provide the loudness (not in an Akira Takasaki kinda way... although that is fun :) then the 2x12 is nice.

hmmm ... I hadn't really thought of that. Then I suppose if I want to angle it at me on smaller stages I can use my angle stand I use for my combo.

Certainly will help the budget.

Ok, thanks

The thing about 2x12s is this: a 4x12 is ideal in some ways (if you forget for a moment the weight and the ridiculous amount of volume it creates) because it gives you a couple of speakers on the ground, which fills out the low end and gives you that "chunk" we all love, and it also gives you a couple of speakers higher up, delivering some treble that has a better chance of making it to your ear. If you take a horizontal 2x12 and put it on the ground, you probably get most of your chunk, but all your treble is hitting your ankles. If you're not aware of this, you crank up the high end to compensate, and then your audience's ears start bleeding (because THEY'RE certainly getting all that treble). Put it up on a stand or a chair so you get a better sense of the treble, however, and your chunk disappears. That's why I prefer vertical 2x12s. I don't understand why they're generally rare in the marketplace. My Recto vertical 2x12 is the best cab I've ever had. Other guitar players gush about it to me all the time.

Latest posts