KT88 Bias Update for MTS Amps

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I placed my order today with Bob @ Eurotubes, so hopefully I'll get em next week when my new pickups come for my guitar too. Glad to hear the KT88's have a good effect. **** bro, now you have me wondering what the quad KT88's would sound like :twisted: I was originally going with a VHT power amp and a RM4 because of the KT88's, so if this sounds good, when it's time to retube I'll try a full set of 88's. By the way, has anyone else experimented with their preamp tubes? Mine are fine now and I'll wait a bit before experimenting, but I haven't heard many people's experience with their pre tubes.

Have you tried that mesa yet? :)

I received my pair of KT88's. they sound really good. A little cleaner than with just 4 EL34's. (i have 2 EL34's and 2 KT88's), i can pull more gain out of the modules (very noticeable on the recto) it sounds a lot better. More growl and a little more power.

I like it :)

I don't have a Randall MTS amp but I have a B-52 AT-212. How can I tell if I can fit KT88's in the amp? More tightness and growl is what I need :D (though its already tight as **** with the solid state rectifier switched on, but if i switch it to the Class A mode and drop tune its too loose.)

Well the sockets will fit, the actual issue is if your transformer or the amp's bias itself can handle the higher voltage draw from the tubes.
I would try to contact their customer support section to see if this is possible.
Btw, has anybody had any problems with Kt-88's that aren't JJs? I tried installing some chinese tubes that i got recommended, however, it just didn't turn out so well.....so i took them out. I guess the JJ's are just built tougher.

trendkill1168 said:
Spoke with Bruce Egnater today. For all of you who do not know him he is the guy that designed the RM100, RM4, & RT2/50 for Randall. I asked him if it would be safe to run the KT88's in the RM100 or RT2/50 due to the higher bias settings and he told me that it would not be a problem at all. He told me that the RM's run off of a 500 plate voltage and said that everything was pretty "heavy duty". I should also mention that he is a very nice guy and was more than happy to help.

Now that i remember, i think guitar center kinda owns that brand. How do you like that amp? I had somebody selling me a halfstack with the head model and a Genz Benz 2x12 but i only wanted the cab, so i kinda left it there since i didn't wanna deal with selling something i don't know much about....BTW, here's B-52s # from their website:

CUSTOMER SERVICE: Our dedicated staff is ready to help you with any B-52 warranty or product questions you may have. Please call 323-277-4100 (9:00AM to 4:00PM Pacific Standard Time, United States).

I've had the KT-88s in my RM50 combo for a couple of months now and I love them. I've had them biased to 52, and the amp sounds much bigger and broad shouldered than it did with either 6l6 or el34s. I also assume that since the manual says it will handle 6550s, it should be OK with the 88s.

I played out of the rm100 the other day and the xtc module was the best taht suit me. I was running it with 4 6l6's. When i was playing through the xtc, i decided i need a little less break up and it was a little too dry. Would el34s or kt88s work better for my situation instead of the 6l6's?

I just put in two EH KT 88's along with two JJ EL 34's and WOW!! The pick articulation on the low strings is awesome. This is my favorite combination yet.

I was running two 6550's and two EL34's, but this smokes that.

I'd like to try this also. How are the power tubes paired? Is it the two left and two right are the pairs or is it the two outside the two inside are pairs? Thanks.

Latest posts