NAD (and new to the MTS family): Randall RM100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VostreRoy

Reaction score
Greetings everyone. Like the title says, I just bought myself a used RM100, the guy was selling it 800$CAD with 4 modules (Clean, Threadplate, Ultra XL & 1086, all but the clean has been modded). I needed a more metal sound than what my Engl Thunder could produce, and so far so good, I'm really digging the tone I can get from that head. I'm doing the rythm guitar in my band, wich is a cross between Old School Death/Sludge and a little of Folk Metal, so I wanted a deep and a little harsh palm mute sound, cristal clear clean and some nice fizzy highs.
The clean module is doing a fair job, not exactly as good as what my Engl could do but at least, I got a different Eq to adjust it, the 3 channels shared the same Eq on my Engl.
The 1086 module is so far my favorite. I'm not really used to the mods that can be done on each module, but I know that the previous owner modded them. He said that this one got the "cap mod and gain mod", if that tells anything to you lol. So, this module just does EXACTLY what I wanted, was surprise to learn it was made for Disturbed's guitarist Dan Donegan, but again, those guys have a huge sound, so I begins to believe it ahahah.
The Threadplate module is so far my least favorite. I tried a couple of settings, but I couldn't get a decent sound out of it. Probably have to try it in depth, this will come over time. A "cap mod" has been done on this one.
The Ultra XL is the module I use to get the fizzy sound I wanted, I'm not using it as much as the 1086, but it complement it pretty well. A "cap mod" and a "gain mod" has been done on this one if I remember right, not sure about the gain, but I know that the guy done a Cap Mod on each module but the clean.

So, long story short, its the beginning, this amp is so versatil and have so many options, I believe that this forum will be very useful. Here is a very, very, very shitty picture (too dark in the room for my cellphone lol...).

1001010109.jpg

Welcome...Sounds like you are off to a great start and you'll be very glad you went to the MTS system....As for the "mods" done on your gear- they could be good or bad FWIW...There are a handful of professional modders around here- Sacred Groove, Jaded Faith, Salvation, Friedman, Gigmods, Voodoo Amps- I don't mean to leave anyone out but that's all I can think of at the moment....These guys do mods you can trust...Most self mods such as cap changes are pretty simple and straightforward but can change the character of the mods if values were also changed with the caps...For example, some people like a tight sound (less low end in the gain structure), some people want lower gain (increased clarity)...What I'm trying to get at is that mods done by an individual will reflect his or her own needs from the module...

If you check out any of the modded ones in the classifieds by any modder listed above- you'll notice they offer options and can make a standard module and turn it into pretty much anything you want...

Anyway, you'll love it here...Ask questions, browse posts- you'll learn a lot and it's a fun community as well...Lotsa vids posted by various members showing off mods too so you can see and hear them...

Buckle up and get ready for the ride...You're gonna love it....

Yes welcome your next addiction. :lol:
As Matt said there are a number of Pro-modders on the board. All seem to be great guys. The beasts they create are awesome. Check out the various vids &/or MP3s that are posted to get a sense for what the modules can sound like and even their features.
Mike P shows off some really good tones in a mix of the mods he has.
Matt does some great vids often showcasing the various features and potentiometers range. Not to mention the fun humor in them as well. Mojo has a few demo soundclips of his band using various mods he owns. I know there are others out there as well, but those are the ones that come to mind right away.

Some self-modded module clips/vids are also lurking around. Radeo1 is one that comes to mind right away.

Thanks for the welcoming guys!

New addiction...yes I begin to get it now... Went by Salvationmods.com, ******, I know where my money will go as soon as I buy my next guitar ahaha. There is so many options available for those amps, I thought it was awesome already, but now that I've done some research, I realise that I only knew the top of the iceberg lol. Before modding/changing any modules, I'll get to know those that I have already a little more, plugged my MxR GT-OD in it for the first time yesterday, really helped more than I initially thought.

I'll probably ask a couple of question, after searching the forum if they weren't already posted, but so far this site is an information gold mine. And sorry for my sometime bad english, I'm french canadian and english ain't my first language

Latest posts