Need Help - EMG's or Blackout's

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Blackouts sound good in standard tunings, but tuned down to B they sound much darker then my sh-6 or my Gibson PUs...
I used to play EMGs for a long time, but I?m more happy with my passive SDs.

Sascha

I have an LP style Samick with EMGs that I use for Drop D flat tuning, and a Dean Inferno V with Blackouts in it tuned to Eb standard. The EMGs definitely seem a little more clear, but also a bit more sterile as many have said. The Blackouts have a stronger bass and mids response. Both guitars are made of mahogany, but the Samick has a maple arch top... Maybe I'll record something for comparison.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=920136

Sorry about the sloppiness.. It was just one of those random moment riffs.

This was recorded with the KH-3 and a 57. The first one is the Samick with the EMG 81/85s, then it fades into the Blackouts doing somewhat of the same riff.. The EQ and gain settings are exactly the same between the 2 guitars, but I notice that the blackouts seem to have a higher output, and somewhere there's a bit more fuzz in them.

Personally, I think the Blackouts sound better in person, but they don't record as well as the EMGs, but that could just be because I don't know much about recording except "Place mic here > hit red circle > play"

Thanks for the clip! I thought the second guitar sounded better. Not as compressed. Blackouts right?