Need some cab advice: Engl / Randall ?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0jo

Reaction score
Hi guys 'n gals!

Very soon I'm getting my RT2/50 (finally!) and I will need a cab to go with it.
I can't really afford a 412, my budget is max 700 euro (and I am in the Netherlands so I have to go by those prices)

The choices I have layed out:

Engl E212V Pro: standing up 212, perfect to put the rack on, Celestion V30s
Price: EUR 550,-

Randall R212CB: normal 212, can stack a 212/412 on it later, Celestion V30s
Price: EUR 590,-

Randall R212NXT: same but with neo speakers
Price: EUR 640,-

What I'm mostly wondering about right now is: how does the sound of the Randall and Engl with V30s compare?

And how do the neo speakers sound? It's said they are custom neo speakers, so I don't think they are the Century or Century Vintage... :(
If their sound is the same or better than V30s (for me) I will definitly go for that, since I can really use some lighter gear..
Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!!

Take a look at TT Cabs made by Tube-Town in Germany and put in any speaker you want. Large selection, great prices and best customer service!

RockManiac said:
Take a look at TT Cabs made by Tube-Town in Germany and put in any speaker you want. Large selection, great prices and best customer service!

Wow that is an AWESOME suggestion man! You saved my life! :D
Now I can configure a standing up 212 with my choice of Eminence's (allways liked those more than Celestions) and purple snakeskin haha :D

It also gets a 412 within my price range. :)

Do you have experience with these cabs?

walshinator666 said:
OOPS...didn't notice mojo was from the netherlands :oops:
no problem man! But that's why I'm asking, there are millions of options in the US but over here it's a bit more tricky.

Anyway, I think I will be going for a Tube Town cab, they look good, the tech is very good (they know what they're doing) and the prices are good :) (not cheap **** but also not expensive).

But now I have the matter of speakers.. which ones to take ;)
I think I'll go for the V30 / G12T75 alternative: Eminence Governer / Man'o'war

Any comments or suggestions on this?

Wow that is an AWESOME suggestion man! You saved my life! :D
Now I can configure a standing up 212 with my choice of Eminence's (allways liked those more than Celestions) and purple snakeskin haha :D
I got a 212 Fender Blackface style pine cab for my Fender tones and put an Emi Swamp Thang and a Red White & Blues in it - huge Twin tones!

Haha I think the quotes got messed up there ;)
But sounds good man!

For me it's a bit harder since I need all tones to come from one cab.
Twinface: full clear Fender clean
Mod 1086 (Mash-all soon): Plexi snappy crunch
Sloogie: full tight SLO rythm
XTC: singing harmonic rich lead

All of that needs to come through one cab.. I'll see how much money I have at that time so maybe I can get a 412 after all :)
The Tube Town flexback is also awesome, allowing me to get an open back cab whenever I want/need :D

The 212 REX Pro (with flexback) is an oversized 2x12 cab and may be sufficient for your needs, it would definitely be less weight and easier to transport :)

RockManiac said:
The 212 REX Pro (with flexback) is an oversized 2x12 cab and may be sufficient for your needs, it would definitely be less weight and easier to transport :)
Yeah I was actually considering that. thanks for the advice ;)
A 412 will look much more menacing though hehe. :)

Also I do have to contend my rythm guitarist, who has a JCM2000 with a slant 412 blasting our faces off...

I highly recommend you check out Zilla Custom cabs in the UK. Any speaker configuration you want, lots of different cabs designs for different tones/needs, any colour, wood/tolex, piping combination, and super prices. Great customer service, Paul is a friendly and knowledgeable guy that will discuss tones and sounds with you for days.

http://www.zillacabs.com/home.html
http://www.zillacabs.com/2x12cabs.html

I'm using the oversized Fatboy 2x12 as a second recording cab and it sounds huge. Planning on getting a second one loaded with scumbacks soon. I'm not going back to mass produced cabs.

believe or not, cab is not MOJO :)
only good craftmanship, nothing more. I have two Avatars (overseas, yeah ...and it was really complicated :)
but after many testing I know that is really NOT important :) Only cab which deserves so much talking about is M/B Thiele (true scientific design) rest are mostly "marshall way"..... consider that first dimensions of marshall 4x12 cabs was "designed" according space in the transport car...
Exist only few basic things - bigger box means more basses (which is not everytime the best choice, but for 2x12 why not).... for example Genz Benz
some of them have some absorbing parts (Framus, Engl) which consume some frequencies (mostly mids)
Important is material and tough construction. Rest is mojo and hype :)
Hottest hype of today is Mills ;) Everybody MUST have, because....... is same like 20 other companies :)

You can try Orange 212 this is perfect quality, or for testing Harley Benton
http://www.thomann.de/de/harley_benton_g212.htm
don?t smile, It is really not bad, and for this money is brutal steal :) You can change speakers for what you want, but remember that perfect clean and perfect higain is not possible to have from same speaker.

I appreciate the Harley Benton advice, but I'm really not looking for the cheapest (but pretty-good-for-the-money) cab.
I'm looking to invest in some really good stuff :)
I don't have a quite expensive rack rig to run it through a 200 eur cab ;)

Orange are very good cabs, and was on the list, but is a bit expensive.
Also I don't quite agree with the tone of it, a bit too mid-heavy (and slightly muddyish).

Thanks for the input Goldfish, I checked Zilla out. They have around the same prices as TubeTown.
I think I will e-mail him if he can make me a vertical oversized 212.
But I think TubeTown have got their stuff together a bit better, also they have the Eminence speakers that I'm after.

Of course it is up to you. If you try a lot of cabs, you will understand me ;)

hyenik said:
Of course it is up to you. If you try a lot of cabs, you will understand me ;)

Yes .. unfortunately I don't have that choice ;)
I will later on in life haha

I really value your advice, but for instance the Harley Benton is 100% sure MDF .. and as you must know: MDF = less tone (or at leas, duller, less character)
For me this is a chance to build a rig that can last for a long time and actually tonally satisfies me for a long time, so I'm choosing not to go for the stuff that's easyest or cheapest to buy.
That said I'm also not saving up for years, so these cheaper custom choices are perfect for me to get something tailored to my needs but also withing reality in terms of price.

m0jo said:
Harley Benton is 100% sure MDF .. and as you must know: MDF = less tone (or at leas, duller, less character)

yes, I know. And I know that HB is made of birch too ;) (this one, which was opened by my coleague). So with more screws you can have nice cab, for example for testing speakers. Btw HB is made better than Marshall cabs, what I see.
But I?m stoping now, It was only advice.
For example now, if I need some box, I will order from small supplyer in Czech (I know minimum 5 of them, similar like Avatar or others). Because really, cab is not magic.

PS: This one is MDF http://www.thomann.de/de/harley_benton_g112.htm
I have it........in basement :)

hyenik said:
m0jo said:
Harley Benton is 100% sure MDF .. and as you must know: MDF = less tone (or at leas, duller, less character)

yes, I know. And I know that HB is made of birch too ;) (this one, which was opened by my coleague). So with more screws you can have nice cab, for example for testing speakers. Btw HB is made better than Marshall cabs, what I see. They are typical mass-produced, which is why I gravitated more towards Engl and now towars the small builders. :D
But I?m stoping now, It was only advice.
For example now, if I need some box, I will order from small supplyer in Czech (I know minimum 5 of them, similar like Avatar or others). Because really, cab is not magic.
Right, well that is my mistake then ;) Excuse me ;) That they are better made than Marshall is no news, I've tried some next to some others (Koch, Bogner, Engl) and the Marshalls were veeeery inferiour to those. :)

But those were 4x12's, far outside my budget.

I will need a cab for at home (the cab discussed here is meant for practice and gigging), I will definitly look into HB then :)
What do you think of the standard speakers? (the cheapest version). Because due to the TubeTown cabs I now have that much left in my budget ;)

I don't mean to insult your experience!
I'm just not in the position that I can experiment much.
So I don't mind spending a bit more than the absolute minimum to make sure I get the best I can. :)

Buy a used Engl, Hughes & Kettner, Diezel, Orange, or Marshall cabinet that's loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s or whatever Celestion speaker is in use.

Custom made cabs can sound better but you will take a beating on resale. If you buy used you won't take a beating.

Name brands have better resale. And make sure you get black tolex unless you get an Orange which will be orange by default.

Latest posts