New Member from UK - Looking for RM4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottRiley

Reaction score
Hey guys, been lurking here for a few days, I've been playing for about 6 years and only just discovered the whole RM4/M4 module deal and I'm totally sold on the idea!

My only problem is finding the RM4 somewhere in the UK! I don't want to go for one of the full amps, just the RM4 preamp, I'll be using it with a Carvin T100 poweramp and a home-made 2x12 cab, just planning on getting started in the world of Rack effects.

Nothing has cropped up on eBay as of yet, and I tend to prefer to buy new anyway.

So, I think my only option would be to have one shipped from the US, is that right? I have friends in the US that I'd trust to have this sent to and ship out for me labeled as a 'gift', but I'm just curious as to whether there would be a problem shipping it out, I'm really not up on shipping rules etc.

The price of an empty chassis from MF is very reasonable and well within my price range, and I was hoping to fill it with modded modules from some of the guys on this forum (I'm really excited by Salvation's ENGL mod) - but I'll need to research that further to see if I could afford to have them shipped to UK etc. - I'm sure this is the route I want to take though!

So, basically, does anyone know of a place where I could have and RM4 shipped to the UK? If not, would I have any trouble getting it shipped over from the US?

Anyway, sorry to make such a rambling first post, and sorry that my first post is a 'Confused newbie in trouble' kinda post - your community is fantastic and I do plan on sticking around!

Thanks in advance for any advice guys :)

Hey, good luck with the RM4, I'm from Watford and i took me a while to get hold of one. Best to order it from the states money-wise, but not many people will ship it. It only costs roughly $90 to ship to the UK.

How did you get hold of a Carvin T100 Power amp here?

Thanks mate, $90 isn't bad at all, added on to the MF price the empty chassis would come to about $750 shipped, that's within my price range, and I have a few guys I could get it sent to who would ship it over for me, would probably throw in a couple of modules too to take it to a little over $1,000 - then start saving again for a couple of modded ones (hopefully, Pete's upcoming Uberschall is making me drool, the Uberschall is one of my dream amps!)

Don't have the Carvin yet but I'll be buying it as soon as I can afford it, I'll be ordering it from RockStar:
http://www.rockstarguitar.co.uk/Results.asp?category=12

All this depends on when my next couple of contracts cough up their money (I'm a freelance web designer) - but I'm making decent money off the next batch and can't wait to start this little journey :)

Seriously, look for someone on ebay.com or on here, I would never pay $750 for an RM4 shipped. I paid $540 to a member on here for an RM4 shipped (that's $450 +$90 shipping), that's a worthy price. Don't over pay if you don't have to, a brand new RM4 isn't going to do anymore than a used one, seriously consider this.

Also, ?600 for a Carvin T100 is a huge rip off, go on ebay.co.uk, and get a Marshall 100w power amp for ?300, and it walks all over the Carvin.
Just because we have a smaller market in Britain, doesn't mean we have to conform to over paying for equipment. Again, a new power amp isn't going to do anymore for you, than a used one, esp. when you're buying a Carvin T100 over the Marshall.
For ?600 you could get yourself a Mesa power amp on the bay, it makes no sense.

Member selling an RM4, get it while it's here, or I might have to go for it :

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=8693

Wow, now that's an eye-opener!!

Thanks for the honesty and bluntness!

Like I said I'm a newbie in this field and its great that people step up and tell someone when and where they're going wrong!

I'd love to snap that RM deal up but I simply can't afford it right now!

Feel free to go for it, I sense you've saved me quite a substantial amount already :D

I'll keep scoping out the bay for an alternative poweramp, I thought ?600 wasn't too bad for the Carvin, then again I'm a novice in this field, good to hear there's better, cheaper alternatives.

Thanks for being so blunt and hopefully saving me some cash dude! :)

I really didn't mean to be so blunt, but it's information worth knowing.
Carvin power amps do come up on the bay now and again, but they generally go for little more than ?200, your best bet is the Marshal as they're constantly on there.
Also, modules rarely appear on ebayUK, but many members on here are willing to ship to the UK, the avarage cost being $160 shipped, which relates to only ?100 per module, you just can't beat that!

Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it, I'll hang around here a bit more and educate myself a bit more, you've definitely just saved me a great deal of cash!

And I dig the bluntness, I'm glad I didn't rush into overspending on this, and it's great to know there's cheaper, better alternatives :)

buriedorburned said:
Seriously, look for someone on ebay.com or on here, I would never pay $750 for an RM4 shipped. I paid $540 to a member on here for an RM4 shipped (that's $450 +$90 shipping), that's a worthy price. Don't over pay if you don't have to, a brand new RM4 isn't going to do anymore than a used one, seriously consider this.

Isn't there a difference between the old and new RM4's? Wasn't the switching supposed to be faster on the ones with the outline RM4 vs. the filled in RM4 logo?

Also I checked and MF doesn't ship Randall internationally :( Something that sucks because I want an RM4 in the Netherlands and it's 800 euro's here! (thats $1180!!)

The cheapest possibility I've found is BeyondEleven.com, $597 + $133 shipping (as soon as you log in, the advertised prices are higher ;) ).

m0jo said:
The cheapest possibility I've found is BeyondEleven.com, $597 + $133 shipping (as soon as you log in, the advertised prices are higher ;) ).
Which shipping method is that? USPS?

Baco said:
m0jo said:
Which shipping method is that? USPS?

Taking only the RM4 I'm presented with 3 choices:
UPS Worldwide ExpressSM: $143
UPS Worldwide ExpeditedSM: $133
UPS Worldwide Saver SM: $151

Adding 4 modules and an RT2/50 drive that up quite a bit to:
UPS Worldwide ExpressSM: $450
UPS Worldwide ExpeditedSM: $381
UPS Worldwide Saver SM: $460

I guess the RT2/50 is a heavy bugger. I haven't actually looked into cheaper possibilities for the whole bunch in one go. I was planning on getting an RM4 and modules first and than later on a RT2/50

The total price incl. shipping at BeyondEleven: $2788
The total price were I to buy in the Netherlands: 3010 euro's!! ($4043 for you in the cheap part of the world :( ) and that's without shipping!

Are you listening Randall? You are screwing yourself out of a decent marketposition! I can almost buy 4 Marshall TSL's for that!!

m0jo said:
Isn't there a difference between the old and new RM4's? Wasn't the switching supposed to be faster on the ones with the outline RM4 vs. the filled in RM4 logo?

The newer RM4s don't have the 15 millisecond delay. I believe Randall offers a chip that fixes this issue for the older ones.

Latest posts