New modular systems?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is giving me serious GAS!

I like the xlr direct outs for recording or for monitoring. I also like having the feature to bypass the cab sims. Looks very flexible. I'm glad I held onto my VHT 2/50/2.

Is the SAG feature being implemented on the other amp products?
Looking forward to the SYN20 sneak peaks.

Yes - you can link two SYN2s together (to essentially create an M4).
The bypass position is a MIDI programmable setting. It can be used as a mute (when connecting to rack mount amp). When connected to a head or combo (adding preamp channels), the Bypass mode is the setting that routes the signal to the channels on your amp.

For those that don't know - the SYN1 and SYN2 allow you to record all tube tone from your favorite boutique amp brands, connect to an external power amp AND the ability to ADD all-tube preamp channels to your head or combo (using the series effects loop on your amp). Using the included foot switch (SYN1) or standard MIDI switcher (not included with SYN2), you can toggle between the preamp channels in your head/combo and the preamps on the SYNERGY units.

Sag is featured on the SYN1 and SYN2. It is not on the SYN20 or SYN50 (amp itself will sag naturally).

The SYN1 is essentially half of the SYN2. Will be posting sneak peak of the SYN1 and SYN5050 soon.

It says add module preamps from Friedman, Morgan, Soldano, 65Amps, Diezel and Fryette.
Are these going to be officially sanctioned by the actual amp companies then?

Absolutely! Brands that have committed:

Friedman
Soldano
Diezel
Morgan
Fryette
65Amps
Egnater
Synergy (for those brands we can't get to join)

We've also approached Marshall, Bogner, Two-Rock, Supro, Dr. Z and Vox - hope they all join.

Wow, that is impressive. Will these mods work with Eganter / Randall modular amps/preamps? Or will they be specific to Synergy amps?

All old preamps will work in new Synergy hardware.
All new Synergy preamps will work in old hardware.
In order words everything is reverse compatible.

With that said, the new Synergy preamps are more advanced and the new Synergy hardware is more advanced - so new Synergy preamps in new Synergy hardware will yield the best possible tone.

Details will follow at launch...

We approached them as well.

We're really close to announcing more partners.

All reputable brands are welcome.

syn•er•gy
\ˈsi-nər-jē\
noun

1. the increased effectiveness that results when two or more people or businesses work together

2. the interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.

It would actually need to be 5 buttons. One for each of the channels and one for Bypass.

Since we don't know if players will be using the Syn2 with single or dual channel preamps we were thinking using a simple MIDI switcher may be the way to go.

If enough of you want it, we have no problem making one.

It all sounds marvelous! I hope Morgan makes a preamp version of their AC20 with the EF86. I've always liked that tube for studio use althoug it's often too microphonic for stage work.

I'm actually excited for the new line of amps, haven't felt that way in a while and I jumped ship to make my own amps.

Bruce, regarding marketing and product development, I think the reason Randall MTS wasn't HUGE was because it promised something and couldn't quite deliver as far as tones go. It was like digital modeler advertising where it's like "you will get all the great tube tones you want, will sound like your guitar hero just by plugging into this box!". The stock modules basically sucked compared to the real deals, so people bought a plexi module and played it next to a buddy's real plexi and gave up on it as a wannabe gimmick. I'm blaming Randall here, not you bruce.

I think what people want are authentic tones, not a "75% of the way there" solution. Not someone's version or take on a classic tone either.
What I see in Synergy looks promising, like it will actually deliver the "real deal" tones out of the box and then some. Good work Bruce!

Maybe I missed this earlier and it was already asked, but will the FX loops on these be the standard level of other manufacturers, or the line level like the MTS ones?

I only ask this because while I YEARN for a 2-module single-rack-space preamp, I would then need the ability to boost my signal in the FX loop for a lead volume boost (Channel 1 clean, channel 2 rhythm)...which I currently accomplish with a 3rd module but feel is a waste.

Or is there the potential for a switchable volume boost in the preamps themselves?

-Adam

I'm hoping we'll see some option for the negative feedback also. Something switchable like the MDA board where you can completely remove the NFB if you want. You just can't get a tone like the Mesa dual rec Red channel or Mark V extreme without dropping the NFB. I would love to see the negative feedback brought back to the module itself so the module builders could decide if and how to implement presence/resonance.

My hope is that Sag and NFB will be present on all amps. And that the 20 Watt rack amp will have a way to get more beef out of the expected but loathed EL84.

withmittens said:
My hope is that Sag and NFB will be present on all amps. And that the 20 Watt rack amp will have a way to get more beef out of the expected but loathed EL84.

Agreed. So OVER EL84's. Gimme some 6V6's. Still breakup at lower volume, but have some low end. I really like what Bruce has done with the Rebel/Tweaker series.

Agreed on the El84 ,would even love to see the route of PRS Archon 25
or Soldano hr25 (since Mike is on Board)
A 5881 or 6l6 that will run more into 25-30 watts RMS
The 5881 will keep a nice tight low end , while still allowing the power section to compress
The Advantage is the Heavy mod like a Diezel VH won't have flub on the lows
AND the clean headroom will improve.
I tried the PRS 25 combo w/5881 and though it sounded better than the 50 watt one

EL84s must have some advantages (not tone) or everybody wouldn't be using them so much. I'm guessing they're pretty cheap, plentiful, and reliable enough. Lower plate voltages and the common self biasing schemes probably add up to cheaper transformers and lower maintenance.

All good, but when you crank em up everything sounds like EL84s. Not bad if that's what you're going for, but kinda sucks for meatier heavy stuff.

There are plenty of amp builders who make lower wattage amps using a single 6L6, El34, KT88, etc....

I don't know anything about building amps but it sure would be great to have a rack amp with Bruce's great system of swapping and biasing tubes in this format. about 25 watts.

That said, I did have a convo with an amp builder in UK who was more than happy to build me an amp with just this going on. If the synergy doesn't satisfy, this is where i may head to.....although i would love to support Synergy...I may not be the intended customer.

I wait and see

I'd love to own a single-space, single-power tube MTS compatible head that can take a variety of tubes the way Egnater and Randall's could. Set it on top of a pair of 1x12 cabs and have me a nice little modular mini stack. :D