Recently Aquired a RM80; Now looking to fine tune my tone

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKMV12

Reaction score
Hey,

I have had this RM80 for a while, but need to fine tune some things. Here is my rig:

Amp: RM80
Modules: 1087 (earlier "mailman" mod w/ one push/pull switch), Ultra Lead, Clean (silverface), and Blackface (blackface).
Pedals: ISP Decimator (will sell soon to upgrade to g string version) and Dunlop Wah
Guitar: Jackson King V with EMG 60/81

Genre: Metal and rock/blues; bands like Metallica, Megadeth, In Flames, Soilwork, Dark Tranquility, Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, SRV, etc.etc.

I have two main options: get some pedals or get some modules mod'd. I have a clarinet and Line 6 Spider that i'm selling, and once i get them sold, I should have about $550 to spend (clarinet is $800, but have to split 50/50 w/ parents, and Line 6 is about $250, but i have to pay back my g'ma for the blackface and RF1). But i may be able to get about $650; idk, i'll have to wait and see what happens.

Here are my options:

1) Get the Mesa Mark Mod on the ULead, the 1666 on the 1087, and the LoneClean on the Clean.

2) Get OD/Comp, OD/Comp/EQ, or OD/EQ (depending on prices).

3) Get Mesa Mark/OD, Mesa Mark/OD/EQ, or Mesa Mark/OD/Comp. (depending on prices).

4) Get 1666/OD, 1666/OD/EQ, or 1666/OD/Comp. (depending on prices).

5) Get Mesa Mark/1666/EQ or Mesa Mark/1666/OD. (depending on prices).

The main problem is that the tone i'm getting from the 1087 sounds too untamed. It has a good tone, but needs more articulation and clarity. I'm not sure if the 1666 will solve this problem, but from what i've heard, i think i'm going to like it a lot. I think making it a closed back combo will help with that, and i will eventually try that, but i think the mod will help as well.

I can't find a good tone out of the ULead, so no matter what, it is going to be turned into the Mesa Mark.

The clean, being the old silverface, has too much gain, which i can fix myself and i will probably do that, but i really like the Loneclean and will eventually get that done.

I think the compressor will help with the clean modules, as well as sustain issues (which could be b/c i can't turn it up too much).

I think the OD and EQ will help tighten up my sounds, but i'd also like to get the modules mod'd. I'd like to have as few pedals as possible.

I have a lot of different OD/Comp options, which is why i say "depending on prices." Here are the pedals i've been looking at:

OD:
Maxon ROD880
Maxon VOP9
Maxon TOD9
Maxon OD808
Ibanez TS9

Compressors:
Maxon RCP660
Maxon CP9 Pro +
Maxon CP101

I am strongly considering the ROD880 and RCP660, but may settle for the OD808 and CP101.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks, John.

You've certainly got a lot on your plate. here's what i can say...

I used a MXR 10 band EQ in my rig for quite a while (i only play at home at relatively low volumes). I currently have the modules in my sig, and as you can see, the high gain ones are all modded. I NEVER use my eq anymore. I don't need it because the mods sound great without them. An od is all you would probably need, but trying an eq can't hurt.

Your first option will is what i would do, but the 1087 to 1666...i would either sell or trade it for something else. if you don't like the 1087, chances are you may not like the 1666. Plus spending the money for the trip to Europe to get the work done is costly.

IF i were you, i would do the Mark, Loneclean, then sell your blackface (loneclean has you covered). then find another of the amazing custom modules out there and get one (1666 if you like). if you have the cash left, get a killer OD.

EDIT: better idea. I could trade my Pete Ultra for your Ultra Lead plus cash :lol:

The 1087 and the 1666 are light years different
If the 1087 is not working for you, I would deal it off...have you tried it as a lead module? It really shines in that regard, put some mids up to 1 oclock

The Ultra Lead > Mark is a beautiful tone, a great choice you should go for it!

The 1666 has brutal amounts of chainsaw edge and crunch- and be prepared to leave the Gate ON, it can't be played without it! Sinister distortion....not for the faint of heart

crankyrayhanky said:
The 1087 and the 1666 are light years different
If the 1087 is not working for you, I would deal it off...have you tried it as a lead module? It really shines in that regard, put some mids up to 1 oclock

The Ultra Lead > Mark is a beautiful tone, a great choice you should go for it!

The 1666 has brutal amounts of chainsaw edge and crunch- and be prepared to leave the Gate ON, it can't be played without it! Sinister distortion....not for the faint of heart
i like the 1087, don't get me wrong, but i think it could sound better. again, it is the earlier version of the mod, so there could be some subtle differences. From what i've heard of the 1666, i think i will like it. I'm into a lot of Melodic Death Metal, like In Flames for example, and it sounds like the 1666 would be perfect for that. What i was originally going to do was keep the 1087 in its current state and buy a new 1086 to have the 1666 mod done. But i'm thinking i will like the 1666 more. but i've had my eye on a few of Salvations mods, like the Benzin, Deadplate, and Pit Viper.

The problem with the 1087 is that it sounds too out of control. maybe the closed back conversion and a OD will solve that problem. the decimator g string will probably help too, b/c it will get rid of the preamp noise in the loop. Its hard to describe what i mean by "out of control." maybe i just need to get used to the "tube sound" because this is the first tube amp i've played. my last amp was a line 6 spider. but it sounds like the notes are lacking in clarity and definition.

The Ultra lead i cannot find a good tone with, so it is going to pete as soon as i get the money.

i may try to sell my blackface; if i did, then i would have enough money for the mods and a pedal. i haven't gotten to hear it much b/c the tubes need to be switched. i got it b/c i heard it was really great stock clean module. I didn't expect to get the clean module, it was just a bonus, as was the ULead.

so OD>EQ? What OD would you suggest. I'm strongly considering the ROD880, but i haven't heard too many opinions on it. I guess it would be like adding a fourth preamp tube. would that sound good?

Thanks, John.

I like a good od pedal, but with the mods you're looking at- 1666, you won't be using a pedal.

I find the 1087 needs lots of treble, mids around 1 oclock, bass cap set to tight, gain switch high but pot around 12 oclock- even then it's not so much 1086 razor as it is wholesome mids and fullness, that's why I like using it as a lead module. I do enjoy it for rhythm when I use the SL+ on another amp with it- the pinch harmonics are killer on the 1087. But if you're doing Death Metal, I find the 1666 to have that kind of razor sharp chainsaw edge- the clips of the Cobra sound great too.

for pedals, you can't go wrong with a tubescreamer, I've been eyeing up an Analogman

I've never tried a tubescreamer...but the SD-1 is fantastic at adding edge :D

crankyrayhanky said:
I like a good od pedal, but with the mods you're looking at- 1666, you won't be using a pedal.

I find the 1087 needs lots of treble, mids around 1 oclock, bass cap set to tight, gain switch high but pot around 12 oclock- even then it's not so much 1086 razor as it is wholesome mids and fullness, that's why I like using it as a lead module. I do enjoy it for rhythm when I use the SL+ on another amp with it- the pinch harmonics are killer on the 1087. But if you're doing Death Metal, I find the 1666 to have that kind of razor sharp chainsaw edge- the clips of the Cobra sound great too.

for pedals, you can't go wrong with a tubescreamer, I've been eyeing up an Analogman
thanks for the suggestions.

again, this is the 1087 when it was the "mailman mod." It only has one push/pull switch, and i think it is for the bass. When i have it pulled out, it has a little too much bass, and when pushed in, it has not enough. maybe i just have to fiddle with it some more, but i am strongly considering the 1666, but i may get another 1086 and return to the 1087 at some point in time.

I play anything from Metallica to In Flames, so i say metal in general, but i want to start focusing on melodeath. The problem could also be my guitar; i still need to adjust the truss rod and re-intonate it, but i haven't had the time lately, and i don't have a tool for the truss rod.

do you think a compressor is a good investment, at least for the clean modules?

Thanks, John.

No, guitars are already compressed enough in the amps

Set that Bass cap to tight, you may think it is not enough, but then turn the volume up and it is there!

I currently use a ZW OD, real similar to a SD1, it drives my SL+ perfectly

crankyrayhanky said:

No, guitars are already compressed enough in the amps

Set that Bass cap to tight, you may think it is not enough, but then turn the volume up and it is there!

I currently use a ZW OD, real similar to a SD1, it drives my SL+ perfectly
I am kind of limited to how much i can turn it up; what ratio should i go with? should i have the master higher than the module or vice-versa?

another thing i am lacking is sustain. that could just be the limit i have on volume, but is there anything i can do to increase sustain w/o turning it up really loud?

and btw, i have JJ 6V6's in it, so it is as low as it can get as far as wattage goes (at least i believe that is the lowest).

would a preamp tube switch make much difference, in either the modules or the chassis?

and what is a good density/presence setting? I have the presence at b/t 3:30 and 5 o'clock. any lower than three, and the treble seems to be nonexistent. density i usually have anywhere b/t 12 and 4 o'clock. and is the density change supposed to be noticeable, or is it subtle? it sounds subtle to me.

any advice for when i make it a closed back?

and if i end up switching the R1 in the clean module b4 i end up getting the loneclean, is there anything i should know about b4 jumping in there?

Thanks, John.

Go closed back first and see what happens.

Then, for an OD I heard from somebody here that the Danelectro Transparent Overdrive is a GREAT and affordable OD.

If you don't get much sustain, I would give your guitar a setup. Fix any warping in the neck, intonate it, lower the pickups (basically trying the highest and lowest strings on the highest frets you use on them and lowering the pickups until you eliminate any phasey or warbley sounds that you get through the amp's clean channel), and maybe adjust your action. There's some good tutorials i nt he stickies on UG's Electric Guitar forum.

THEN try out your modules :) For an In Flames tone, I would definitely check out the up and coming ANGEL module, and get it made to the specs of an ENGL Savage preamp, as that's what Jesper used on the fist couple of albums (I do believe). The 1666 sounds like a great choice too though :)

For settings, I don't take density or presence on my amp up past noon. Module volume rests around noon (more push from the preamp creates a better metal tone), and use the master to adjust. If you want a bluesyer sound, lower the module volume to about 9:00 and raise the master.

Try starting out though, with basically everything (except master volume and presence/density) at noon. Don't scoop your mids too much starting out (in flames actually uses quite a bit of midrange in their sound, but they still keep the mid knob lower than the treble by a tad, and the bass knob is fairly low). Turn the master up slightly until you hear the sound, then up slightly more until it sounds like the "low volume blanket" is no longer there. Presence and density, either start out at noon, or off, and adjust your modules to how you want the sound. Then, to tweak, use presence and density.

I used to always punp my density, but lately I'm feeling it at 9 oclock...depends on the room/volume of course

Presence over 2 oclock is not good- I hover from 12-2

I actually keep my density around noon, and presence around 10:00. I seem to get the grind and punch I'm looking for around that area.

nothing really changes with presence until i get past 3 o'clock. with density, i don't hear much difference; i think i can hear the bass end get heavier and thicker, but no dramatic change like with the presence control.

New problem: when i put the ISP decimator in the loop and turn up the 1087 volume, it gets crackly; when i keep it low and turn up the master, it is fine. is that normal? it doesn't happen when the ISP is in the front. I am going to try to get the g string version soon, but is there something wrong with the module, or is that normal?

Thanks, John.

JKMV12 said:
nothing really changes with presence until i get past 3 o'clock. with density, i don't hear much difference; i think i can hear the bass end get heavier and thicker, but no dramatic change like with the presence control.
Then something is wrong with the pots or your ears :p

Shinozoku said:
JKMV12 said:
Then something is wrong with the pots or your ears :p
it could just be my ears. i was playing today and i could hear some subtle differences. but the presence drastically changes past 3 o'clock; there is a lot more high end (obviously). i'll keep messing around with it, but i think i might need and OD or something to tighten it up. but i'll try to make it a closed back b4 anything else. anything i should take heed of b4 attempting that?

Thanks, John.

Actually, if you want a tighter sound turn your density and bass down, and your mids up first. Then maybe pick the gain up a couple of notches. But basically you don't have much else to worry about I don't think, except the problems with the noise gate. UG needs to get an ISP Decimator Owners thread up for tips on using it ;) Or just a noise gate help thread or something.

Shinozoku said:
Actually, if you want a tighter sound turn your density and bass down, and your mids up first. Then maybe pick the gain up a couple of notches. But basically you don't have much else to worry about I don't think, except the problems with the noise gate. UG needs to get an ISP Decimator Owners thread up for tips on using it ;) Or just a noise gate help thread or something.
i don't think there are any problems with the noise gate, but a thread on UG would help. I think the crackly noise might have been the preamp tube? but i'm not sure. what i do know is that it doesn't sound like that with the ISP in front. so if i get the g string, then i can have all the noise cancelled out. maybe that will help a bit.

and i'll keep trying to dial in a good tone, but once i get the money, i'm getting something mod'd. probably the 1087. then the clean. but i'm not sure. i've been trying to sell that clarinet for 6 months and no one has made an offer (except bob the scammer from new york). then i will need a miracle to sell that line 6. why couldn't i have got something that someone would actually want. :wink: but i had no choice in the matter; it was a bday present with my Jackson. I thought it was great at first, but i eventually realized otherwise. well i got an MTS now, so its all good. but i need to sell it.

if anyone is interested in a clarinet, then PM me. :D

Thanks, John.

It wouldn't hurt to try a new tube in the effects loop buffer (the middle preamp tube in the head). Although it may also be because the MTS's loop prefers effects that run at line level (which the G String would fix).

Shinozoku said:
It wouldn't hurt to try a new tube in the effects loop buffer (the middle preamp tube in the head). Although it may also be because the MTS's loop prefers effects that run at line level (which the G String would fix).
ya, i was reading something on here about the ISP and a line level shifter. they don't seem that expensive, but if the g string will fix that, then i guess i don't have to worry about it.

i would like to try those tubes you recommended, but i am broke right now, and i can't get a job (well i could, but i'm already stressed from college and high school; anything else, and i might lose it). But after h.s. i'm going to take a break, try to get a job, and start taking guitar lessons (self-taught up to this point). I need to work on my technique and learn more about theory (i already know the basics from h.s. band). maybe at that point i will have some money to spare, but for now, all my money is coming from whatever i'm selling.

but if i have the money, i will try and switch the tubes out. the noise from the back when the ISP is in the front sounds kind of staticy. i thought that was just the preamp tubes. but one thing i'm worried about when i get the g string is that the one i have now is at about 12 o'clock in the front, but 2 o'clock in the back. i'm hoping that it will be able to cover both w/o any drawbacks. i guess only time will tell.

Thanks, John.

Latest posts