Recently Aquired a RM80; Now looking to fine tune my tone

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're short on cash, I'm not sure I would spend $ on a rack decimator. I too have the pedal and it works great in front of the amp...but many places I play don't even need it, the Randall modded modules are very quiet, even the hi gain ones

If you're isp isn't effective in front, something else is wrong

crankyrayhanky said:
If you're short on cash, I'm not sure I would spend $ on a rack decimator. I too have the pedal and it works great in front of the amp...but many places I play don't even need it, the Randall modded modules are very quiet, even the hi gain ones

If you're isp isn't effective in front, something else is wrong
i'm not getting the rack version (although i hear it is amazing), i am getting the pedal version.

it works in front very well, but there is still the static-like noise, which disappears when i put it through the loop. so if i have a pedal that can clean up both, then i'm set.

once i have like $110, i'm going to sell my old decimator so i have enough for the new one ($220). it is almost new (got it 4-6 months ago). so i'd say $110-115.

then if i end up getting the loneclean, i'll probably sell the blackface. i'm thinking around $120 for that (but i'm not sure b/c of the tubes).

those two i know i can get sold quickly (at least i hope). the clarinet and line 6 i'm not so sure about. i can always see if GC will take the line 6, but they're probably not going to give me that good of a deal on it.

JKMV12 said:
i would like to try those tubes you recommended, but i am broke right now, and i can't get a job (well i could, but i'm already stressed from college and high school; anything else, and i might lose it). But after h.s. i'm going to take a break, try to get a job, and start taking guitar lessons (self-taught up to this point). I need to work on my technique and learn more about theory (i already know the basics from h.s. band). maybe at that point i will have some money to spare, but for now, all my money is coming from whatever i'm selling.

but if i have the money, i will try and switch the tubes out. the noise from the back when the ISP is in the front sounds kind of staticy. i thought that was just the preamp tubes. but one thing i'm worried about when i get the g string is that the one i have now is at about 12 o'clock in the front, but 2 o'clock in the back. i'm hoping that it will be able to cover both w/o any drawbacks. i guess only time will tell.

Thanks, John.
Lessons are overrated :p In the Electric Guitar forum on UG there's a technique thread that links to some vids with basically all you need to know about technique, and they're free :p At least try and learn what you can from all the free sources before taking lessons. In fact, if I were to take lessons for anything, it would be Jazz, although I may end up learning that as I plan on majoring in music for my 4 year degree (so school COMES with lessons! :D)

And if you can keep it at 12:00 with the G String, that would be ideal. The less gating you have to do the better. I wanna get that pedal too eventually, but I've got tonal things I want to change until then.

Shinozoku said:
JKMV12 said:
i would like to try those tubes you recommended, but i am broke right now, and i can't get a job (well i could, but i'm already stressed from college and high school; anything else, and i might lose it). But after h.s. i'm going to take a break, try to get a job, and start taking guitar lessons (self-taught up to this point). I need to work on my technique and learn more about theory (i already know the basics from h.s. band). maybe at that point i will have some money to spare, but for now, all my money is coming from whatever i'm selling.

but if i have the money, i will try and switch the tubes out. the noise from the back when the ISP is in the front sounds kind of staticy. i thought that was just the preamp tubes. but one thing i'm worried about when i get the g string is that the one i have now is at about 12 o'clock in the front, but 2 o'clock in the back. i'm hoping that it will be able to cover both w/o any drawbacks. i guess only time will tell.

Thanks, John.
Lessons are overrated :p In the Electric Guitar forum on UG there's a technique thread that links to some vids with basically all you need to know about technique, and they're free :p At least try and learn what you can from all the free sources before taking lessons. In fact, if I were to take lessons for anything, it would be Jazz, although I may end up learning that as I plan on majoring in music for my 4 year degree (so school COMES with lessons! :D)

And if you can keep it at 12:00 with the G String, that would be ideal. The less gating you have to do the better. I wanna get that pedal too eventually, but I've got tonal things I want to change until then.
ya, i have alot of those threads bookmarked; once i have the time, i will read them and try to improve my playing. i am trying to learn how to sweep pick (but not really making any progress). i get the idea; its just getting my hands to do it. i also need to start using my pinky more; i never used it much, except for chords.

i guess i will learn what i can from the stuff on UG, but i may consider lessons as well; depends on where i get on my own.

i am mainly into metal, but i would like to learn some other genres, such as blues, jazz, and classical. but i just don't have the time to dedicate to it. i barely have any free time. after i got out of school, i had one week of summer vacation b4 i had to go back to college. now its over and i have one week till i go back to high school (and one week after that, college again). but it will all be worth it in the long run.

I would also like to go to school and get a degree in music, but i also want to go into engineering. not sure what kind; either electrical, aerospace, or mechanical. i was in middle/high school band, but we didn't learn much. it was just "play this music b/c we are playing it for the school concert/district festival/prism concert (special school concert). The top band actually played at Carnegie Hall last year. I used to be in that band, but had to drop out b/c of college classes. I'm getting my A.A. at the same time as my diploma.

But anyways, i would like to get a degree in music, but i'm going to get one in engineering just in case music doesn't work out. not to say am going to quit guitar, not in a million years; but i want to have something to fall back on.

i was just looking at some live In Flames vids, and i found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhK4IdF5Wbw&feature=related

I have been working on this song for a while, and i would love to have a tone like this. Any recommendations on getting this sort of tone? Settings for the amp and 1087? mods (1666 maybe)? pedals? i can't seem to find a setting that gets the notes to sound that thick and powerful.

i want a tone similar to their first few albums. Lunar Strain to Clayman. not their first few, but their golden years.

after listening to these vids, i am starting to miss their old sound (not that i didn't miss it, but now i miss it more). Anders sounded so good back then; he sounds ok now, but nothing like this. Music was great as well. They knew how to make an instrumental.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qf-AdVRBfg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBlNEk4D4lw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fslebbDcgko&feature=related

the clean on this one sounds really good. any ideas on getting that? EQing suggestions? loneclean territory?

Thanks, John.

An Ultra XL can nail any In Flames tones because Jesper always uses a 5150. Here are my settings for the Lunar Strain and Jester Race leads :

Gain = Noon (my Ultra XL is modded)
Bass = 2 o'clock
Mid = 11 o'clock
Treble = 2 o' clock
Presence = 2 o'clock
Density = 1 o' clock

Might not sound the same for you but you can use them as guidelines and tweak it from there.

Well, I know that the only time I've seen their settings they were on a Peavey 5150.

Gain 6-7
Bass 4
Mids 6.5-7.5
Treble 7

Try that range. Do you have a more/less bass switch in addition to the mid switch? Try the less mids and more bass settings first, then try the more mids setting if that's not enough. Keep in mind, these are out of 10, so it would actually be about

Gain 1:00
Bass 11:00
Mids 2:00-2:30
Treble 2:30

Presence and density should be no higher than noon each.

Shinozoku said:
Well, I know that the only time I've seen their settings they were on a Peavey 5150.

Gain 6-7
Bass 4
Mids 6.5-7.5
Treble 7

Try that range. Do you have a more/less bass switch in addition to the mid switch? Try the less mids and more bass settings first, then try the more mids setting if that's not enough.
thanks! i have the push/pull bass switch and the mid voicing. i usually have the mid voicing to the right (less mids) and bass on low, but sometimes high. i will try those settings. but it seems like the more i turn up the mids, the more unclear it gets. its hard to explain, but i'll try those settings and hopefully it gets me what i want.

i may try the Ultra XL if i ever get the money. maybe i can sell the blackface; that is if i get the loneclean.

Thanks, John.

jesper5150.gif

JKMV12 said:
Shinozoku said:

Gain 6-7
Bass 4
Mids 6.5-7.5
Treble 7

Try that range. Do you have a more/less bass switch in addition to the mid switch? Try the less mids and more bass settings first, then try the more mids setting if that's not enough.
thanks! i have the push/pull bass switch and the mid voicing. i usually have the mid voicing to the right (less mids) and bass on low, but sometimes high. i will try those settings. but it seems like the more i turn up the mids, the more unclear it gets. its hard to explain, but i'll try those settings and hopefully it gets me what i want.

i may try the Ultra XL if i ever get the money. maybe i can sell the blackface; that is if i get the loneclean.

Thanks, John.
The loss in clarity with the midrange is probably from the open back cab. More mids works great with a closed back cabinet, but open backs don't.

tehuk: awesome pic! I'll decipher it later, but for now, I like the settings I got from the Peavey 40th anniversary ad :p They probably fvcked with the knobs for that pic , but it's a great boosted mid sound regardless.

Shinozoku said:
JKMV12 said:
Shinozoku said:

Gain 6-7
Bass 4
Mids 6.5-7.5
Treble 7

Thanks, John.
The loss in clarity with the midrange is probably from the open back cab. More mids works great with a closed back cabinet, but open backs don't.
alright, i'll keep that in mind. i'll try to get that done as soon as possible. it shouldn't be too hard, right?

Thanks, John.

Latest posts