RM100 Effects Setup Help!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfshockey

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to setting up my effects so I'm hoping someone can help me out! All my life I've just run all my effects through the front of my amps without thinking anything about. Now that I have the RM100 and know that there are effects loops I'm wondering what my most ideal setup would be. The pedals I have are:

Boss Tuner (TU-2)
Boss Phase Shifter (PH-3)
Boss Chorus Ensemble (CE-5)
Boss Digital Delay (DD-5)
Boss Octave (OC-2)
Boss Equalizer (GE-7)
BBE Green Screamer
Morley Steve Vai Bad Horsie Wah (VAI-1)
Dunlop Rotovibe (JD4S)
Ernie Ball VP JR Volume Pedal

Basically, what are your suggestions on what to run through the front and what through the effects loop, and also which effects loop (series or parallel)?

Thanks a lot guys!

-Mike

Time based effects (chorus, phase, delay etc.) should go in the loop....your call on whether you use the parallel or series loop...many seem to prefer the parallel loop as it can colour the tone less..but it might not have the desired effect.

You'll need something that converts back and forth to line level (EbTech Line level shift for example) as either loop signal (line level) is usually way to hot for a pedal (instr. level)

Octave, OD, volume, wah up front...not sure about the vibe..

Your call on the EQ....depends if you want to shape the tone out of your pickups/OD or boost the front end..or shape the distortion coming out of the pre-amp (as it would in the loop.) If you use an EQ in the loop, it should be in the series loop.

Thanks a lot for the reply JKD! I'm going to be setting up my rig in the next few days and now I feel I know a little bit more thanks to your input!

I have one follow up question for you though. I also own a Furman SPB-8 Pedal Board (http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?id=SPB-8). Will running the effects through this do the same job that the EbTech Line Level Shift would?

I'm pretty sure all that does is provide power and a place to plug your cables too but I'm no expert.

i ended up using the series,, because of what jkd said. { desired effect ] or rather lack of....couldnt get enough delay or chorus without maxing everything out on the parallel loop... series is working great with the g-major.

rectifier said:
i ended up using the series,, because of what jkd said. { desired effect ] or rather lack of....couldnt get enough delay or chorus without maxing everything out on the parallel loop... series is working great with the g-major.

Do you notice any coloration to your tone with this unit?

Ive tried several units only to yank them from the amp to gain my tone back. Ive tried Lexicon, Digitech, and some other but none of which were transparent. I hear that The Inteliflex and other Rocktron stuff works great but what about the G-Major, I owned it along time ago in a Marshall rack mount setup but I had no idea back then what I really had and our what tone was. LOL

the only thing i ever used that was transparent that didnt cost a fortune was the intellifex... until i found the g-major...i think it is comparable to the intellifex.... great unit i really like it.. to me the chorus is better than the rocktron...really should check it out.... i bought mine used from music go round,,thing was in mint shape for $250

Hmm there is an Inellifex on SLEEZBAY right now with 18 min left and only 100 bucks grr. I really want the G-major i think.

im about to try the behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller...expression pedals work for me,,

rectifier said:
im about to try the behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller...expression pedals work for me,,

I had that with my G-major along time ago and it worked great actually, I think i had a hard time getting it to do a volume exp.

i mainly use expression for delay time and mix...and pitch....hope it works for pitch...i noticed the pitch on the g-major has pretty fast tracking..most units it was hard to play a bass an improvised bass line but the g does it pretty well..... did you get the rocktron?

Hey Hunter!

You have the same plan as I do for the G-Major...but I found out they have just released the G-Major 2!! This means 2 things for us.

1) if we want the old one it'll likely be a lot cheaper and a lot more used ones available.

2) we can get the new one :twisted: (Which has PC/Mac software)

They are said to be hard to get as there as still only small quantities shipped so far.

AXCL said:
Hey Hunter!

You have the same plan as I do for the G-Major...but I found out they have just released the G-Major 2!! This means 2 things for us.

The G-Major is great and works awesome with my MTS amps. What upgrades are done to the G-Major 2? Is it that much better?

I don't think its "that much better", it just has some new/"retuned" FX and capabilities. I think its really only valuable if you would use the new things. From what I've read, I don't think most of the old FXs have changed much. I'm interested in the editing software. It cuts programing time by 90% when you can see the big picture. I haven't been able to find any reviews yet.

Here's the link to further info:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/G-Major2.asp

Hey guys, I'm still having problems setting up my rig. After setup, my overall volume seems really low, but my effects loop pedals work and my pedals up front work. However, when I switch between my 3 channels the sound does not change. The lights on my footswitch and the modules change but the sound just stays at whatever channel was originally selected. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I have the RM100 Combo. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Mike

mfshockey said:
Hey guys, I'm still having problems setting up my rig. After setup, my overall volume seems really low, but my effects loop pedals work and my pedals up front work. However, when I switch between my 3 channels the sound does not change. The lights on my footswitch and the modules change but the sound just stays at whatever channel was originally selected. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I have the RM100 Combo. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Mike

Hey Mike!

If you disconnect all of your FX and go direct in with nothing in the loop does you tone change when you change channels. If so, it sounds like your running everything through your loop and just going straight into the power amp. If it still doesn't work, then there is likely something wrong with your amp.

If by doing the straight up test works, submit a detailed description on how your rig it connected and I'm sure we can help you out.

Cheers,
Glen

In front of my RM100C I have a BOSS Tuner, BOSS Noise Suppressor, Morley Steve Vai Wah & BBE Green Screamer. What order do you guys recommend have those going through from my guitar? Is it common to run certain pedals ahead of others, etc?

mfshockey said:
In front of my RM100C I have a BOSS Tuner, BOSS Noise Suppressor, Morley Steve Vai Wah & BBE Green Screamer. What order do you guys recommend have those going through from my guitar? Is it common to run certain pedals ahead of others, etc?

I go
Tuner>Wah>Overdrive>NS

You can flip the wah on the other side of the od and it will give you a different sound, experiment to check it out

Latest posts