RM4 and RM20 Questions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chas_w

Reaction score
Hello,

Here is my setup: I have an RM4 and running direct into my DAW and using Torpedo WOS power amps with 6L6 and KT88 with the Brit VintO and Brit VintC. It is awesome no issues.

There are times however when really loud in is order so I was thinking of getting an RM20 Combo for that purpose.

So here goes with the questions....

In silent or live mode with the RM20 the loop out should be same as what the RM4 is doing. Is that statement correct?

In silent mode does the line out work and what exactly is coming out of it? Is it still pre-amp or is it after the power amp? Whatever it is does have the cab emulation on it?

In silent mode direct out I know that cab emu is on it. Is that pre only or after the power amp? Could the cab emu be physically disabled somehow by a mod inside?

With Live mode are the line out and direct even active?

So I guess you get the idea of what information I am fishing for with these questions. My goal would be assuming I can do exactly what I am doing now with the RM4 with an RM20 it would be ideal and I could sell the RM4. I never have a need to have more than one module active with 3 others at the ready and most times I only have module in the RM4.

I would rather not just buy an RM20 Combo and then find out it doesn't fit my requirements and those things seems to be **** hard to find to begin with or I probably would already have one and know the answers.

Anyone in the Phoenix AZ area with RM20 Combo or head lying around I could buy or borrow?

Regards,
-Charlie

I'm seriously considering getting an RM20 combo too, using an RM100 now but it's overkill for me - how is the direct sound from the RM20? That feature would definitely be a bonus.

I have an RM20 head on the way. I went with that instead of combo since I have a few cabs collecting dust.

At any rate in perhaps a week I can answer all my own questions. First thing I will do is record the fx send loop out as mentioned which should provide exactly the results as what the RM4 is currently doing for me.

-Charlie

I use a RM4 into a RM20 head and love it! I have a RM100SI that is awesome, but it's too much for an indoor amp. I'm sure it'd kick butt at shows, but I mostly play at home and the RM20 works great. I didn't find the direct out to sound too pleasing. It was muddy and fuzzy, as I remember. Granted, I was going directly into a Tascam 4-track recorder rather than computer based recording software. I have read that it sounds better with a few db's attenuated (the signal's too hot), but I never bought the XLR-to-1/4" adapter/attenuator. I just use mine through 2 Bogner Cube 1x12 cabs and mike it. I have a Hot Plate to bring it down to acceptable levels for jamming and recording. All in all, I couldn't be happier with that rig. I think you both will be pleasantly surprised!

I now know the answers to my questions. These are my findings based on an RM20 head.

Silent mode is with no speaker connected since there is not the switch that setting that the combos have.

The RM20 loop send works exactly like the RM4 as I expected and that yourguitarhero had mentioned.

Based on the fact that presence and density still work the line out is post power amp and no speaker emulation on it. The direct out is also post power amp and has the cab simulated mic eliminator on it.

All outputs are active all the time. The RM4 into the FX return works great too.

-Charlie

How are you liking the Line Out into WOS?
I am using a similar method and I am really liking it.
The difference for me is disabling the Torpedo power amp sim - since I am using the line out - and also using some Redwirez Cabs.

I like the WOS very much and have been using it for years. Yeah with the line out I disabled the WOS power amps. I still use them when direct out of RM4 or RM20 send.

Latest posts