Rocksmith for the 360

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julia

Reaction score
Well I've been looking for a way to get myself motivated to practice again, and I've heard about this so I looked it up. Yes it's a game. It has the running bar toward you like GH and Rockband, but you play it on your guitar. I can plug my SG directly into my 360 via USB cable and play along. It adjusts which part you're playing based upon how well you're doing. I've been wanting to work on technique without playing the same old boring scales and arpeggios. This may be the ticket. Cheaper than a teacher and I don't need a teacher because I am a piano teacher. I know when I screw up.

The game also comes with a bundle that has a Epiphone LP Jr, but I don't need that since I already have one as well as a few others. You can select rhythm or lead. I've also heard you can split screen and connect a second guitar so a friend of mine who also plays a little could play.

It'll probably work better than adding more DVDs to the collection that I never use past lesson 2 before pulling out a TAB book and going from there. At least I'd get to practice the song against a backing track. It's essentially moving TAB. If you're doing well the game kicks up the difficulty, and if you start screwing up it drops the difficulty.

One other thing: I'll have to watch something other than my hand on the fretboard. This would be good. I have a near photographic memory for music and stuff, and once I can see the TAB page I have it memorized.

I think it would be a good exercise.

I have checked this out and it seems like one cool tool. It may be a Xmas present for the kids that maybe I can use too. hahaha I come up with gifts like that all the time with no reason at all. :wink: :lol:

I'm somewhat tempted by this, but I'd have to wait for the PC version as I have no console. And in general, stuff developed for consoles first tend to suck on PCs.

It's cool to hear someone who is somewhat skilled at guitar playing is enjoying this. I've seen a mixed bag from webernet denizens.

i like this idea too. but wouldn t u be playing something that isnt the real notes at a lesser difficulty or no i dont know how it works. i kniow that in gh the closer u get to hard and expert it gets more realistic as far as picking and some power chords. sounds like it could be a killer practice amp

No. When you start out, the game gives you the "EZ version" of the TAB right on the strings. I think it will slow it down accordingly if you need it. As you improve, the game will up the difficulty according to your ability. Advanced players will get the full song and note for note transcription.

When you've learned the song and if you've memorized it enough, you should be able to play it along with a standard backing track on your guitar with your amp or modeler.

This is the major difference between a play game and an instructional game. You're using your favorite guitar instead of a controller.

So if you're starting out on rhythm you'll learn the power chords, or just where the root note of the chord is located, then it will add notes to the chords until you can play the full chord sequence, and positions.

My kids got GH & RB a few years back. I couldn't do it, especially the songs I new. For some reason my fingers wanted to press strings & go to the fret I should have been at. Kids loved them though.

If they make it for PS3 or PC I might have to check this out.

Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/Rocksmith-Playstation-3/dp/B004S5TDL0

It doesn't teach you music theory. You need to do that on your own. But you will learn how to play the songs. And the thing is as a music teacher, I find people learn the techniques necessary to play a song from just practicing the song. Most of the songs I haven't heard of, but I've heard of the bands. Then there is downloadable content. I wish they had a Robben Ford DLC so you could learn his chord substitutions. Maybe someday if they get enough requests.

The thing is to just get me practicing more.