Salvation Phish or Hilligan Snorkeler

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eyeball987 said:
I say Snorkeler. I refuse to pay the price for a Salvation module. I am sure that they are great but not great enough to justify the price difference of the JF, Gigmods, or Voodoo modules I have.

thanks for the vote!

gtrlw said:
Has anyone ever A/B'd these two modules? I'm wondering which one comes closest to the real thing - the Bogner Fish brown channel.

Back on topic, there's something in the works that will absolutely, unequivocally, nail the original Bogner Fish.

I haven't heard Anthony's version but I'm guessing it's spot on as well. The dude is a master.

gtrlw said:
That's true. Maybe I should have asked which one sounds the closest to Cantrell's early AIC tone. :lol:

How early?

Facelift was a mostly a Bogner modified Marshall. Dirt was a combination of a Fish, Rectifier and believe it or not, a Rockman. They were all three blended to create that tone.

The bottom line is that it's going to be difficult to nail that sound with a single module. I'm not saying it can't be done, but there are issues at stake like phasing between the mics and the Rockman, EQ, etc. that can't be easily duplicated.

Back on topic, there's something in the works that will absolutely, unequivocally, nail the original Bogner Fish.

Can you clue us in, Mike? Something in the works by . . . . ?

^ he dropped hints; he's been working with Sacred Groove
Never had the pleasure of trying one of his, that has to change :D

gtrlw said:

Can you clue us in, Mike? Something in the works by . . . . ?

Here's what I'm prepared to say at this time: I went to Sacred Groove (Scott) with the intention of creating a module that is THE sound of Rock. I'm not talking about a 60's (tube rectifier) Plexi or an 70's Four Input Super Lead. I'm talking THE sound of ROCK.

Simple, no frills, no switches, no noise gates, no modifications to the original. Just plug in and what comes out is PURE TONE. I've recorded the first version and all I can say is WOW.

The second module will be a slight variation on the first in that it will be a high gain version that wasn't available in production. It'll still retain the same exact tone but it'll be more of a "solo" version. NOT heavy or metal or anything like that, just TONE with gain.

These are not high gainer modules, nor are they intended to be for Metal, Nu Metal, Grindcore, 80's metal, etc. They're the "Plug in a Les Paul, Tele or Strat", turn it up and sound exactly like your favorite rock records. And yes, that includes "Back In Black". :D

The third is a variation on the Bogner Fish. The main production Fish was a white knob version. This version is based on the black knob version and the very first version, which was a blackface Fish. I have recordings of the above from back in the "day" and we're getting very, very close. Again, no switches, no gates, nothing extra. Just a simple module that exudes TONE.

I'll have clips in the next few weeks to share.

Mike P said:
THE sound of Rock.
Hmm, no offence man, but that is extremely subjective!
Your "THE sound of rock" will be completely different from mine.. and a lot of other people.
This is why the voicing switches and different modules exist. (and the whole modding culture for that matter)

Anyway, I'm sure it will sound awesome, but to say it will be the module to end all is a bit naive, considering you're already using a customization platform.. (custom = personal).

No offence meant, just had to speak up there ;)

m0jo said:
Mike P said:
THE sound of Rock.
Your "THE sound of rock" will be completely different from mine.. and a lot of other people.
This is why the voicing switches and different modules exist. (and the whole modding culture for that matter)

Anyway, I'm sure it will sound awesome, but to say it will be the module to end all is a bit naive, considering you're already using a customization platform.. (custom = personal).

I would like to order one "The Sound of Rock." Then you can check the classifieds when I'll be selling my other "false sounds of rock."

Just kidding, I know you and Scott have been working very hard at making these new additions and I can't wait to hear them!

Jeff Hilligan said:
eyeball987 said:
I say Snorkeler. I refuse to pay the price for a Salvation module. I am sure that they are great but not great enough to justify the price difference of the JF, Gigmods, or Voodoo modules I have.

thanks for the vote!

Back on topic, the EG5 is my favorite Eggy module, so I'm going to try Jeff's Snorkeler for starters.

Hi there ,

I have Bogner Fish "the original" from 1992 ,

I am so sorry to say that nothing comes close to Bogner Fish's brown channel .
I also have Soldano SP77 and VHT GP3 preamps too .
They have the tones to cry for .

These are top of line preamps and very hard to get that refined tones from ordinary preamps .

I also use RM100 and like it but no way . :(

Hakan

m0jo said:
Mike P said:
THE sound of Rock.

You're right, Dude. A Rockman isn't for everyone.

:lol:

m0jo said:
Mike P said:
THE sound of Rock.

No, you're right. We all have different definitions. I'm 45 years old and have been playing guitar since I was four years old. I started gigging when I was 10 playing bass for my Dad, who's since been inducted in the Kansas Music Hall of Fame. My experience is probably far different than most on this forum.

The bottom line is that when I state "The sound of Rock", I'm referring to unmodified, stock amps that were used on hundreds of recordings in the 70's and 80's (and still to this day).

I know that you and Anthony are close and my post was in no way, shape or form meant as a disparaging to him or any of the other excellent modders.

As I stated earlier, this module won't be for everyone, especially those people that are wanting high gain amps for metal, nu-metal, grindcore, 80's metal, etc. It's basically a module for me and defines what I think of in regards to rock music, especially rock music of the 70's.

sweetrock said:
Hi there ,

These are top of line preamps and very hard to get that refined tones from ordinary preamps .

Hakan

Black knob or white?

Mattfig said:
I would like to order one "The Sound of Rock." Then you can check the classifieds when I'll be selling my other "false sounds of rock."

And I would expect nothing less.

:lol:

Seriously, I hope you guys like the end result. Otherwise, I'll have wasted a ton of Sacred Groove's time!

As I stated earlier, this module won't be for everyone, especially those people that are wanting high gain amps for metal, nu-metal, grindcore, 80's metal, etc.
That crosses off 90% of this forum!
But if it's a good tone, there's always a place in the stable

Mike P said:
sweetrock said:
Hi there ,

Hakan

Black knob or white?

sweetrock said:
Black knob or white?

Thanks! Have you heard the Salvation mods X88 or Phish? If not, I'd bet you'd change your mind about the MTS.

:D

crankyrayhanky said:
As I stated earlier, this module won't be for everyone, especially those people that are wanting high gain amps for metal, nu-metal, grindcore, 80's metal, etc.

Yeah, I'm with ya. That's the main reason why I went to Sacred Groove with the idea.

I pretty much have all of the heavier tones covered with the Mamba, Angel, Voodoo Rectifier, Hairy Brown Eye and even Stonerverb, which cleans up nicely but also gets that killer unique Orange tone on full gain. The Brown Eye nails the 80's modified JCM800 sound and the Jose is the Jose.

But what was missing was a great sounding stock Marshall, which is frequently overlooked but amazing nonetheless.

crankyrayhanky said:

True. I prefer to take a Brahma/SL+, type and then boost them for the heavier stuff. Some times too much gain is just too much. I like the way the modules break up better when pushed with a boost as opposed to having the gain knob over 2:00.

I am interested in the new Sacred Groove module and look forward to some pro clips.

I would be very interested in checking out the Salvation or Sacred Groove Fish mods. In-depth reviews and some clips would be greatly appreciated.....

I too have a real Fish and can confirm that I have yet to try an Egnater or Randall MTS module (stock or modded) that has the tonal complexity of the Fish. Not to mention, the Fish has the absolute lowest noise floor of any high gain preamp I have ever tried, and I have basically tried them all.....

This is not to knock modular at all, because I use it live and love it. But it is just a fact. In reality, it shouldn't come as a surprise that is difficult to cop the Fish's tone in a tiny module made up of 2 tubes.....

If I can get live tones from a $350 module that accurately reproduces the tone from my $3k Fish, I'll go that route and leave my Fish in storage.....

Looking forward to the roll out of Scott's (Sacred Groove's) Fish mod.....

Latest posts