Tube recommendations for RM22

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Econ

Reaction score
I'm looking to get more sag and chug in the low end. What would you recommend? Keep in mind that I'm using a 1x12 OS cab. This is just a bedroom/home rig.

I would recommend a sonic maximizer or EQ to add back that low end...Some people may tell you that certain EL84 brands have more low end than others and thatl may be the case- but that difference is probably not enough of what you are looking for...

To start, drop the prescence and raise the density to taste...That can be a good start as those controls are helpful and sensitive...

Mattfig said:
I would recommend a sonic maximizer or EQ to add back that low end...Some people may tell you that certain EL84 brands have more low end than others and thatl may be the case- but that difference is probably not enough of what you are looking for...

To start, drop the prescence and raise the density to taste...That can be a good start as those controls are helpful and sensitive...

Matt is correct...El84's in general will not give you much low end. EQ's will cetainly help or possibly goin to a 2x12 cab.

rblyn said:
Mattfig said:

Matt is correct...El84's in general will not give you much low end. EQ's will cetainly help or possibly goin to a 2x12 cab.

To add, I've used JJ's and GT's...both very harmonically rich and nice tubes. I usually order sets with more headroom (later breakup).

rblyn said:

Though those EL84's do have a good amount of sag when pushed hard
(though not of the rectifier kind)

I find there is plenty of low end in the RM22. Especially if you dial a good balance of Bass in the preamp and Density in the poweramp. Too much of Bass will make it flubby/undefined, too much of density will make it boomy. I mostly dial in too much when I play alone and have to nudge it back a few with the band.

What exactly is sag? I always hear it referenced but never really understood the tone.

chuckmehh said:
What exactly is sag? I always hear it referenced but never really understood the tone.

When used in the context of guitar amps, sag refers to the speed at which the amp reacts to your playing. An amp that has a lot of sag will react to your playing slower and is great for playing blues. Less sag gives you a stiffer amp that reacts quickly to your attack, great for metal.

Usually an amp's sag comes from the power supply and the way it is designed. For example you will find that amps with a valve rectifier have more sag than amps with a silicon rectifier.

I have been pretty impressed with the amount of big bass the density knob adds to the RM22. You have to turn it up pretty far but it is there.

Ultimately though, the EL84s are not what you want for big bass.

Amps with solid state rectifiers have very little sag. Amps with tube rectifiers have a lot of sag. Most modern amps have solid state rectifier circuits because of their proximity to the transformers which caused the tube rectifiers to burn out fast and to be quite variable. SS rectifier circuits are more consistent.

It is different from how quickly an amp recovers from clipping.

I want to thank metareal for his description of "sag" as it pertains to amplifiers with tube rectifiers - see 4 posts prior to this one.

I've been wondering how to get the tone used by Chuck D'Aloia on his "Revelation" clip. Check out the second link on this page:
http://www.chuckdaloiamusic.com/id26.html
"Zen Drive / ODS / Hermida 1x12 Ported Cab"

It turns out Mr. D'Aloia is using a Brown Note amp that has a tube rectifier and, coupled with a Zen Drive, gives him a wonderfully smooth tone with not much pick attack. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is a good example of a "sagged" tone.

Now, here's my question. Are there any stereo amplifiers out there that have a tube rectifier and are in the 20W - 30W per channel range? I would like to pair such an amp with my RM4. I'm especially interested in an amp that can be rack-mounted.