USA Std. vs. Japan vs. MIM Std. Stratocaster

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedemon

Reaction score
Hi

all, I am looking to get stratocaster (white w/ black pickguard and Gibson humbucker like this dude from Canada plays!).

You all know the price differences, but given the same electronics will go in,
rate the relative merit of

MIM

Japan

USA Std. (not Deluxe, I know I like the Deluxe the best, but they are a lot more expensive!)

Thanks!

Speed demon,
it comes down to this:
doesnt matter to much where anything comes from in regards to fender guitars....
every country CAN produce a fine guitar. Most are robotically made ,these days.
Put it your hands, examine the neck,the frets, the sound,
if its right..then go with it.
Me: I prefer American made products, but thats because I like to keep my money in the US.
But thats me.
GtrGeorge

strapped for cash? MiM
Play shred or metal? MiJ- but be sure to check out competition like Charvel
Rock and lighter? MiA

Do I ask and answer my own questions? Yes I do
Regardless, play the instruments, there's always greatness and dullness in every batch, find the one that inspires you like magic. Anthing less and keep searching

I haven't been too impressed with the recent MIM Fenders. The older ones I like alot. I loved every MIJ Fender I played, especially the Iron Maiden strat. I keep looking for these, but probably wouldn't want to pay the price for one. :lol:

Since your swapping out the electronics, I would suggest a MIM strat if you play one that feels good to you and sounds pretty good with the stock electronics.

Otherwise if it is in the ballpark for the price you want to pay, the Charvel SoCal's sound and play **** good.

Lately I've been looking at fenders

my specs would prefer Floyd rose, maple fretboard and humbucker

And I guess I'll be ending up with a charvel since fender doesn't make Maple FB floyd equipped guitars :lol:

Nightdare said:
Lately I've been looking at fenders

my specs would prefer Floyd rose, maple fretboard and humbucker

And I guess I'll be ending up with a charvel since fender doesn't make Maple FB floyd equipped guitars :lol:

Same here. I keep looking at Fender's and they just don't do it for me. I could always stick a hot rail in the bridge I guess and make due with the vintage style trem, but it is the neck radius that bugs me the most. I really like a flat radius. I had a chance at a SoCal for almost cost and passed up on it. :( Maybe I'll find a good deal on a used one sometime down the road.

I've been jonesing for a Deluxe Player Strat for a while. MIM, sunburst with gold hardware. Med-jumbo frets & 12" radius make it feel almost Charvel-like ;)

Thanks for all the responses.

Unless I buy new, looks like I don't have many choices, there are 18 sunburst and 15 black w/maple of every model, and a lone MIM white with rosewood on classifieds here...

I went to GC and Sam *** on the weekend, ooks like Fender jacked the price of the American Deluxe too. :cry:

Thanks!

I have a MIM Fat Strat Deluxe on which I upgraded pickups and hardware...Sounds and plays better than any MiA Fat Strat I've heard or played to date...Of course, I may be just a tad partial to my own axe... :) I went thru MANY before I found the winner...I'd say it took about five or six guitars to finally find the one I wanted...Mind you, all the same make, model, etc...Just sounded and played completely different to one another...Quality control is suspect on all Gibsons and Fenders these days...I don't know how anyone orders guitfiddles online...

Mattfig said:
I don't know how anyone orders guitfiddles online...

For me it would be tough buying untested/played by me. It would have to be 1 sweet deal. Kind of in the realm of, got it so cheap that if I didn't jive with it, I would be able to sell it for a profit in a heart beat.

Yeah,

I hear ya guys. I have a MIM 60th Ann. Ash Strat, and with the US pkups seems as good as a US Std. to me. There are some good looking candidates on Ebaycharges, but yes, you can't tell neck condition from a photo!

Just keep looking I guess!

Thanks!