VMAX setup questions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjaytch

Reaction score
I got a VMAX head and the Randall cabinet with 2x12 1x15 Eminence speakers. Im just not happy with this setup. I know Im going to replace the cabinet because the head sounds better with my friends Behringer 4x12 cabinet which costs about half what I paid for the Randall one. Im thinking of going with a Marshall 1960 cab. I would like to go with another Randall cab but I blind bought the one i have off musisiansfriend and i just wont buy another cab without listening to it first. Unfortunately, the nearest Randall dealer to me is over an hour away. Any recommendations?

Second, Im thinking of replacing the 2 Ruby 12AX7's with Tung-Sol's. Im looking to get a crunchier distortion out of this thing instead of the "muddyish" sound it has. Any recommendations?

Help from someone who has a VMAX would be awesome :)

Thanks everyone

#1. get the Randall titan RS412XLX cabinet,it has two g12t75s and two vintage 30s, it sounds amazing with my Krankenstein.
#2. get Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH Preamp Tubes, they are your best bet for high gain and grit.

Im going to order a set of those tubes.

About the cabinet. I found the cabinet you are talking about on Musicians frined. Its over $900. I hate to buy another cab without listening to it with my head first. Are there any equivalent cabs by other manufactures that may be available around me? I have access to Mesa, Marshall, Crate, Peavey, Line 6 and Behringer.

My RS125CX is on Ebay right now. When it sells, i plan to go shopping. If it doesnt sell, do you think I could get away with replacing the Emininence 12's with 1 V30 and 1 G12T75?

just try out your amp on a marshall 1960a cab it sounds very simular to the randall xlx titan cab because it has g12t75s in it, the randall xlx sounds better than any cab out their.

dude put 2 v30's in that cab and upgrade the 15 and it'll smoke with that head, the 12's that come in it suck, they say there eminence but i think they are really celestion 70/80's poop

maximus1 said:
dude put 2 v30's in that cab and upgrade the 15 and it'll smoke with that head, the 12's that come in it suck, they say there eminence but i think they are really celestion 70/80's poop

any suggestions on what to replace the 15 with? I cant seem to find a Celestion 15" speaker for guitar.

do the 12's first, then i think eminence makes a number of 15's just buy the next most expensive after the one you got- look at the label on the 15 that in there then search for an upgrade

OK. I verified they are Eminence Legend 16ohm 12's and 15. Thats what they say on the magnets anyway. Havent replaced them yet though.

I did replace the Ruby tubes with Electro Harmonix. It gave me a crisper sound that wasnt quite as muddy, but its not a massive improvement. At this point, I think changing the speakers out will make the biggest difference.

Latest posts