Voodoo Joe HG vs Salvation mash-all vs HBE

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
Hello,

I currently use an unmodded Mr Scary for my hot rodded marshall tone.

I was considering giving a go to another module for the boosted JCM feel. Has anyone been able to compare all three modules? How would they differ in terms of overall feel, gain level, EQ choices etc...

Thanks!

Steven Latch said:
Hello,

I currently use an unmodded Mr Scary for my hot rodded marshall tone.

I was considering giving a go to another module for the boosted JCM feel. Has anyone been able to compare all three modules? How would they differ in terms of overall feel, gain level, EQ choices etc...

Thanks!

The Brown Eye is a essentially a 1981 JCM800 2204. It's not a high-gain module, it's more of a mid-gain module. The tone stack is the same as a 1979-1980 JMP Master Volume. It's a great sounding module but it's closer to a Slash type of distortion as opposed to a Dokken/Ratt mid-80's distortion.

Here's a clip with the gain at 3 O'clock: www.mikeplas.com/mlib/rr/dirtyrose.mp3

The Hairy Brown is different than the BE for a few reasons. It's got a little more "spank" on the top end, not unlike a late 60's Plexi. It has far more gain than the Brown Eye but past 2 O'clock, the gain is more "compressed" sounding. So far, I don't like using a pedal in front of it because it becomes even more compressed (I've tried an MXR Distortion III, an old TS9 and a V4 OCD).

Here's a clip with the gain at 12 O'clock: www.mikeplas.com/mlib/rr/arrowspace.mp3

I had a Mr. Scary module but it's since been modded. I only recorded it once or twice and I'd say it's the "slickest" sounding of the those three and more "modern". It's definitely more akin to the 80's modified Marshall sounds that are frequently compared to Lynch & DeMartini.

I've had the Scary, BE, HBE, and Jose, as well as Gigmods SL+, Gigmods Brown, Jaded Faith Scary- but never played the MashAll.

Even though I am a gainhead, the Brown Eye was far more enjoyable and playable compared to the HBE. The HBE sounded great at low volumes, but taking it to band practice- loud volumes- the HBE was a bit uncontrollable, a bit too much and came off cluttered sounding for want of a better description. Consider I was using a Les Paul Gothic, a thick tone guitar, so maybe a super strat guitar would have been a better compliment to the HBE.

The Brown Eye and Gigmods Brown were very similar, both super mid gain modules that can take a boost, unlike the HBE as mentioned above, I agree did not take a boost well.

The VooDoo had awesome clarity, an awesome lead tone that had a great shimmer to sweep arpeggios. The one I had a few years ago lacked modern huge low end, but Trace has since stated that he has improved that aspect, I'd love to take another spin. If the new VooDoo retains all of the coolness from my previous version and adds huge low end, it's a winner.

MashAll is often said to be Salvo's greatest mod, so that says something, because he has plenty of killer mods that I have tried.

Jaded Faith Scary is vastly improved compared to stock Scary- same basic tone, but improved quality/clarity

I'm not sure if this helps, but posting did increase my own GAS, lol

Oh, I missed the HG Jose for some reason, until I read Ray's comments.

The HG Jose is a cool sounding module, with less bass, more mid and less top than the Scary, BE or HBE. I think it's in the Marshall family but I don't think it's necessarily a high-gain amp, more of a mid-gain, IMO.

Here's a few clips with the gain between 2 & 3 O'clock:

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/rr/whosthat.mp3

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/rr/runawaytrain.mp3

Mike: your clips sound great! The mods all sound dead on to my recollection, except the HBE, I remembered more sizzle....maybe I never dialed the gain down to 12 oclock? LOL, My gains are always at 2 and above.

crankyrayhanky said:
Mike: your clips sound great! The mods all sound dead on to my recollection, except the HBE, I remembered more sizzle....maybe I never dialed the gain down to 12 oclock? LOL, My gains are always at 2 and above.

Thanks, Ray!

I picked up the HBE about 10 days ago and I've probably spent a total of 3 hours with it to date. The Treble is at 11 O'clock on that clip so I'd imagine that with it and the gain a little higher, it would be closer to what you remember.

Once I'm able to record something a little heavier with the HBE, I'll post some clips.

Thanks again!

Yes,

the clips are great thank you! I really like that tone. Is Dave taking new work?