• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WARNING if you ship to Canada via FedEx from USA

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
droptrd said:
But Canadian Customs agents are some of the most miserable people in the world. You know their lunch money never made past the bus stop!

I hear ya brother! When I cross to NY or Vermont, the US agents are pretty cool! But 75% of the time I want to get back home.... UNBELIEVABLE! The attitude is pathetic...and it's my home! :roll: ...was probably one of them that ripped off Pete :lol:

Have to chime in here, whoever tried to not pay the border tax/duty fees, should not be dealt with here again. If you don't get that cheque, Pete, reveal the *******!
I'm Canadian and I've don tons of deals here and others, never had any problem, always paid the tax/duty that came my way. USPS and Canada Posts all the way. Stopped using Fed Ex long time ago.

USPS ,best way to ship and no duty fees .
Fedex and UPS charge duty ,tax and Brokerage fees of 4% I believe .

Plus IMO Fedex and the big brown damage more packages than I have ever seen by Canada post ,

yes it's slower ,the only cavaet is your package has to be less than 50 pds.

:evil: ...the customs bastards did it to me AGAIN!!

Customs charged me duty for Pete's modded 1086. I paid for shipping to Pete, he paid for it to come back, and I pay and additional $40 CAN to get it into my hands! And it was marked as a gift! :roll: :x

F***** idiots!! SO now I need to drag up ALL the paperwork to prove that all taxes was already PAID FOR at time of purchase, and wait 10 years to get a refund!

:?

...but tomorrow I get to try out this OUTSTANDING masterpiece of Pete's! :twisted:

Pedro said:

Customs charged me duty for Pete's modded 1086. I paid for shipping to Pete, he paid for it to come back, and I pay and additional $40 CAN to get it into my hands! And it was marked as a gift! :roll: :x

F***** idiots!! SO now I need to drag up ALL the paperwork to prove that all taxes was already PAID FOR at time of purchase, and wait 10 years to get a refund!

...but tomorrow I get to try out this OUTSTANDING masterpiece of Pete's! :twisted:
You'll probably forget about all duties after you fire IT up :shock: Still that's pretty F'd up

yep....these buffoons need a serious slapping!! :roll: :lol:

Anyways....it's just time. I'll get the refund. They charged me because they viewed the VALUE of the module (for insurance) as the PURCHASE price (even though it was clearly marked GIFT :roll: )

I just need to make sure that anything coming up here is stated as a repair.

...and I'm sure when I crank that monster tomorrow...I won't care :twisted: :lol: ...the module even LOOKS dangerous when see the mods done to it! It's freakin bionic!! 8)

I never understood the people here in the US who wanted to dismantle the US Postal service..so they could just have privitized mailservice (like FedEx). This was a big deal when we had the last president here.
The USPS does a fine job considering the task. Its been around since Ben Franklin and I honestly appreciatte them every time I send a letter. For 43 cents i send a letter to someone anywhere in the US.
You cant beat that.

Is there a tarrif when buysing goods from Canada?

I am looking at buying a guitar from canada and need to know if I would be charged extra once it arrived.

sarge said:

I am looking at buying a guitar from canada and need to know if I would be charged extra once it arrived.

There shouldn't be... The Free Trade Agreement is only a one way street ;)

FYI, got notification from the guy I sold to and some documentation that he paid recently. Hopefully I won't hear from FedEx again, looks like I'm cool though, hopefully. Still going to ship via USPS from now on, though.

Pete

That's the best way for ya Pete. Cdn Customs usually screws up something when I'm ordering stuff from the US. They literally rob you blind if they feel that have an opportunity! :? ....j@ck@$$e$ !!

As I mentioned in previous posts, you can send USPS with a tracking option that IMO works very well. When I've ordered tubes form Doug in NY, I can see it's progress every night with a track number they provide you. He has some setup with Paypall that auto calculates delivery via USPS depending on where it's going (postal code\ZIP code). It's quick and accurate. Anyways, something to look into.

But one way to make sure that customs doesn't screw up and rob us northern folk is to state that the item is coming back from a REPAIR...'cause if they see "gift", they might still try their damnedest to get those sticky little f'ing fingers of there's in our pockets! :lol:

sarge said:

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) applies to goods originally manufactured in the US, Canada, or Mexico. Therefore, there should be no duty on; e.g., a US Gibson, a Mexican Fender, or Canadian Godin. Also, there is a "Mailman" provision in the US Customs Regulations that allows for goods up to $200 US Dollars value to be shipped free of duty, regardless of country of manufacture. However, once you exceed the $200 value, the entire amount becomes dutiable; e.g. a Korean Epiphone valued at $200 would be free of duty, but a $400 Japanese Jackson would be assessed duty on the entire $400. I don't have access to a Tariff Schedule, but the duty rates on musical instruments are fairly low-I believe between 2.5% to 7.5% of the value. Call you nearest U.S. Customs and Border Protection office to verify the rates.

I am not sure why Pete got charged for shipping that module. It is made in a non-NAFTA country, but Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA) also has a provision similar to the US "Mailman provision. Perhaps CBSA's "Mailman" Provision is not as generous as the US equivalent; e.g. only $100 Canadian Dollars. Therefore, with the exchange rate, if Pete delcared a value of $100 US Dollars, duty would be assessed on the entire amount of $115 Canadian dollars. It sounds to me like UPS may also have charged him "Customs Brokerage Fees" as well.

Hey,

I just got a Mr Scary sent here from Pete ,(will do a review when I get some time with it ).

Thanks again Pete it really does sound killer!!!!

Canada post charged me $14.75 CDN addl shipping no biggie really BUT yes there are further taxes if you ship from the Western USA.

However UPS or Fedex I would venture to guess would have been closer to $50. When I got my Rocktron vendetta head a few years ago it was $129 for brokerage/taxes.

If the item clearly states made in USA there should be no duties, China,Mexico UK ,Germany all are 8% on the full item. So if you ordered say

a Hughes and Kettner head ,8% duty, 13% GST + PST, 2.5% brokerage fees and the conversion on the dollar.. pretty pricey

Zander said:
Lesson: Don't ship to Canada.

Sorry you all had to learn the hard way. Thanks for sharing your hard stories so the rest of us don't get burned.

C'mon man..... there are obviously good and bad ways to ship internationally. Taking this sort of approach is like sticking your head into a big pile of sand.

US Postal service works JUST FINE and they don't charge the stupid brokerage clearance fees that Fedex and UPS do. They are a bit slower but they do have tracking and insurance and thats pretty much all you need.

I send/receive pretty much everything I need through USPS and for big ticket items I use DHL.

Thanks Pete for not unecessarily closing off shipping to Canada.

Fedex and UPS can kiss my a$$. :!:

Pedro said:

Yea the gift thing doesn't work very well! Been hooked a few times.

It takes a bit of paper work, but mark when sending it that it is being shipped for repairs. The return paper work has to say returned following repairs. Hey, if it sounded the way you wanted it wouldn't need to be shipped to Pete anyway would it, so in reality it is being sent to repair the audio quality.

I ship computer equipment back and forth from Toronto to another office in NY "for repair" all of the time with no issues.

This may/may not work for a one way shipment from US to Canada. Perhaps shipping it as an evaluation product may work, but again, it will take 10-20min of paperwork. If you contact customs, they can tell you what documents you need. They are likely all available on the web.

AXCL said:
This may/may not work for a one way shipment from US to Canada. Perhaps shipping it as an evaluation product may work, but again, it will take 10-20min of paperwork.

Good point! The repair comment works fine though...as long as it's under $200.00 listed. ...Just a pain trying to get the money back from them. They want blood before they give you back a cent! :roll: :lol: