What do you think of the 1st song I've recorded for my band?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harsh

Reaction score
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1006323&content=music\

Ok, guys, I've set up a little studio in my guitar room and decided to record a song with my band. All the instruments, including drums are live - no programmed drums. Please bear in mind this is still wok in progress. I still have to mix properly, master it and bring out the punch. Also need to fix the sound of the snare...and still have to record the vocals.

But I hope its not bad for a first effort, and I hope the metal fans here like it. This is the new song my band are working on.

What do you all think?

I like the recording. The guitar sound isn't TOO distorted (even for metal) and the overall song sounds like a winner. (can't wait to hear the vocals)

The snare needs to have more lows and maybe a tad more snap. A compresser might help...or maybe tuning the snare a little lower.

I like it. Good job.

Thanks man, that means a lot to me. Being a first effort, I'm aware this is not a pro quality job. But I'm hoping to keep learning get to a point where my band would be self reliant for recording demos etc.

Regarding the guitars - I'm SUPER anal about guitar tone, and am very conscious about not driving the gain into fizziness. Believe it or not, that guitar tone came out of a Line-6 POD Pro direct into the PC! I was only experimenting with it, but am quite shocked that it actually sounds quite decent. I'll be miking the cab and recording the next take properly.

I was gonna make a seperate thread, but I figured this was related...and the thread had been abandoned (for a little while) so I'm highjacking it! :lol:

What are you using to record vocals?
I ask because I just bought my first dedicated "studio" microphone.
It's a Blue Bluebird (Ebay $200) and it sounds great...but I also bought a Focusrite Trakmaster Pro (Ebay $150) and installed an ADC card in it for digital output into my M-Audio 2496 Audiophile soundcard.
Before it was just my Black Box into the soundcard using an older ('86) Beyer Dynamic mic. (a very flat sounding mic, but very quiet)
The Trakmaster definitely helps! I think my vocal tracks will sound a little better now. Ya think? :roll:
You gotta excuse me...I've been out gigging for the last 12 years...this is the first break I've had in a while. 100% of my gear purchases have been for stage use.
I wish I could afford better stuff, but an Avalon is way out of reach for me.
Even if I did have the money, I doubt I'd spend it on a $2000 unit for vocals. :p
So...what cha using for recording....(anyone can chime in if they want)

Lol, i actually used a Line-6 POD Pro for the tones, direct in. Pretty decent, eh. I was shocked that it sounded good. No dynamics, but enough gain and aggression to the tone.

Guitarcomet - we normally use an SM58 for vocals. Very good mic.

SacredGroove - the finished track with the vocals is at www.myspace.com/karybdisband.. Thats where we've used my Randall rig to record. Check it out!

GtrGeorge! said:
well done...I think you guys are are doing it right.

Thanks George! :)

I know you're not into Metal, and it's really good to know that you can still appreciate the song. It's great that people like the brutalilty and heaviness, and non-metalheads can also appreciate it. We actually might be on the right track! Thanks again, guys.

Latest posts