What kind of Digital Voltmeter for biasing ??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindCrime

Reaction score
What kind (Brand & model #) digital voltmeter are you guys using to bias your Randall amps ? I just stepped into the Randall world back in November (2010) and now its time to gather tools for biasing...

Let me know where you got your voltmeter..

Thanks everyone,
Mindcrime (George)

I use an Extech DM110. I bought it at Lowes and it was pretty inexpensive. Works great for me.

I am not an electronics guy at all so extra fancy features and durability are not something I worried about when I bought it. Cost was.

I have 4, everything from the Extech economy models to my trusty Fluke. As long as the handle 600V they can get the job(s) done on most guitar amps.

Flukes are the best.. Mine has to be at least 14 years old and still hasnt died.

Ive had my Sunpro for about 15 yrs and Ive just now had to replace the cables. Dont remember exactly where I got it. Sears maybe.
Still works very well and has some options. True. Nothing beats a Fluke.

Extech, Amprobe, Greenlee, Ideal, even a better $40-$50 Radio Shack,
all good but the best is Fluke. I have a Fluke 289 that is good enough
to calibrate all the other DMMs I have but totally unnecessary to spend that much.

I checked the bias with the fluke I have at work, the Sunpro at home, and the red Cen-tech Harbor Freight $4 Special I have at home (Have the yellow one too but leads broke...). All read within .1mv. Yes, Fluke is the best. But for as much as you'll use it for your amp, $4 red one all the way... That's the one I keep in my guitar/amp tool box.

Wow...thanks everyone for chiming in. I really appreciate all the input. Randall MTS are totally cool amps & they sound killer.