What power tubes are you guys running in your RM50s/RM100s?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
I just switched from JJ E34Ls in my RM100 to GT 6L6s. I am doing the pull-two-tubes-compensate-impedance trick, since I use this amp exclusively in my apartment at the moment and there's no point in burning four tubes when two will do. The difference seems kind of subtle but I think I can hear the effect of the sharper high end and less midrange hump. I could probably go either way, honestly. What do you guys do?

I run a combo of SED winged C 6l6's and Svetlana EL34's in my RM100. It sounds great, but not sure you could get away with that in an apartment. It really shines at gig volume.

I used to run a quad of 6V6's in my Boogie Mark IV and have considered them for my RM100, but I have heard that you have to use a certain brand (JJ I think) that can handle the higher plate voltage. The 6V6s would probably tame the volume of an RM100 ( a little) and sound great. Not sure if you can run just 2 of those.

Currently im using a pair of 6v6's. When turned up the tubes compress the sound allot. I usually set it just before the compression begins. I also bias them on the cool side so I guess im running about 25-30 watts.

I run JJ EL34L on the outside and Tung sol 5881 on the inside of my RM100. the 5881's opened it up a little and added a little bass. Feels less compressed. Still roars with the treadplate and 1086.

Want to try 6550 or KT88's with the EL34L's next but funds are short right now.

Tube Head said:
Currently im using a pair of 6v6's. When turned up the tubes compress the sound allot. I usually set it just before the compression begins. I also bias them on the cool side so I guess im running about 25-30 watts.

What brand of 6V6s are you running, and do you know whether there are any considerations about plate voltage?

I have Lynch Box (EL34Ls) and as soon as I get my hands on a multimeter I'll throw a couple of KT77s on the outside set and see how it sounds. In all honesty, I get the feeling I'm going to prefer the EL34Ls.

Whoopysnorp said:
Tube Head said:

What brand of 6V6s are you running, and do you know whether there are any considerations about plate voltage?

JJ's . They are the only ones I know that will work.

Winged C EL34/6L6s.

I used both at the same time in the RM100, now I switch back and forth on the RM50.

I'm running TADs 6L6s in my Mod 50 and GT E34Ls/Svet 6550s in the Mod 100 and the same in the RT/250

I'm real curious about the 6550s. How do they sound compared to the EL34Ls and the EL34? I hear they're pretty durable.

I've got a remaining pair of the original quad of the JJ EL34Ls and a pair from a partially blown set of =C= EL34s from my former Marshall JVM.

I really like the tone from the =C= a lot better than the JJ EL34Ls. But I'm concerned about their durability. But Magic Parts (Ruby) gives a 6 month warranty so if and when I have hand surgery and have recovered from it, I'll order a quad, but in the mean time I'll just run what I've got.

If they take a dump, I'll pull the pair of 5881s from my Deville and put those in the amp since I'm not expecting the four that are in there to last very long. But who knows? they could.

Whoopysnorp said:
I just switched from JJ E34Ls in my RM100 to GT 6L6s. I am doing the pull-two-tubes-compensate-impedance trick, since I use this amp exclusively in my apartment at the moment and there's no point in burning four tubes when two will do. The difference seems kind of subtle but I think I can hear the effect of the sharper high end and less midrange hump. I could probably go either way, honestly. What do you guys do?

Depends. When I write music, the tone is what inspires me to keep playing and as I move from one chop to the next, the better it sounds to me as I'm playing, the more I want to play and that enhances my creativity. I don't need it to be super loud, but I do need to hear the "magic" When I go back to the tape and listen to what I just played, thats where I know what works and what doesn't.