what speaker for my 1x12 RM50 combo?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rynugz007

Reaction score
It came with the G12T75 but I've never been a big fan of that speaker. Bought an Eminence george lynch super V12 but it sounds very stiff and kinda dark (has more mids though). I'm guessing the stiffness comes from it being brand new? That Lynch is a 150watt speaker. Should I keep the speaker wattage closer to the amps?

The 2 main modules I'm using are the deluxe and plexi so I want a speaker that will handle the marshally zep tones as well as the cleaner fendery tones. I'm having a hard time getting much detail and articulation from my plexi module. Not sure if I should look at getting it modified or start with the speaker first. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Personally, I'd keep the Lynch speaker until you really get it broken in, but that's probably going to take a while at higher volumes. From my personal experience it took a long time to break in my v30's in my cab, and from what I understand they just keep breaking in and "warming up" more and more over time. I'm not wild about the GT75's either but they do cleans great and have a really cool early 90's rock sound to them. However; they can be really treble heavy and lack warmth and mids to my ears.

Also, I wouldn't sweat the power handling to much, they may be rated at 150watts but all that means is that chances are you will never get speaker distortion, however; depending on your preferences this may or may not be a good thing. At max with a 50 watt tube combo it MIGHT be possible to peak pretty high but I doubt you'll do it. Some people like speaker distortion as part of their tone, when they start to break up and give a bit. With my Lynch box (mts100 head basically) master volume near maxed out in the studio and mods all @ around 10-11 I was starting to get speaker distortion and had to turn it down... and that's with 4x12 of v30's which are rated @ 60 watts each, so 240 watts power handling supposedly on a 100 watt head, I believe 100 watt's is only supposed to peak at around 180 but don't quote me on that. I actually thought it sounded kinda cool to have a little bit of speaker distortion in my tone.

When I played the Lynch cab full of those speakers I found it very warm and thick, but that's in an enclosed cabinet so I'm sure it sounds different in an open back combo.

Again I'd hold on to it for a while, just wait a bit, give your ears some time to get used to it and break in, anddddd also tweak your mods and all your settings see if you can't get something out of it you weren't expecting. It's a lot easier to dial sounds out than it is to dial them into something that doesn't have enough to work with!

Dallas

thats pretty much exactly how I would describe the g1275t. I recorded some tests tonight with three different speakers I had laying around (definitely not a scientific or super accurate test but still helpful). I pulled an eminence governor out of a 4x12 cab that I had and threw it in the mix. It was by far my favorite out of the bunch. Nice accentuated mids but open and natural in the high end. The lynch speaker was the darkest by a long shot with plenty of lower mids but with not much going on in the upper mids (which is where a lot of definition lives for guitar) The governor just has the mid bump in the right spot for my tastes.

heres a question, will a speaker change much tonally throughout the break in process? Or is it more the feel of the speaker? I can't imagine a speaker would get brighter as it breaks in????

Hey if you've got a speaker that you already like I'd say just get one of those! Go with the guvnor.

Actually from my limited experience they lose highs and become less harsh/ice picky etc. and smooth out. I can't imagine anything gaining highs lol that would be weird. Noticing feel is a hard thing to tell since the break in process is gradual, I can't honestly say that it plays differently... but I would imagine over time it does. If I had a brand new cab next to one that is heavily used and ab'ed them I'm sure there's a difference, but it's really not easy to say when I've been using the same cab for the past 2 years.

So yea if your guvnor does the trick I'd say just order one of those!

If your tone is lacking articulation using the Plexi I highly recommend that you have Pete Turley mod it for you. The difference is amazing. If classic rock/hardrock tone is what you are looking for, the Pete modded Plexi is hard to beat.

I use my RM50 with original speaker and a 1x12 V30 cab, sounds very nice.

I think will be getting my plexi modded sometime in the near future when I get some more cash. I'm liking the governor though.

Anybody want to buy a brand new eminence lynch super V speaker?

I like the stock speaker in my RM50, but as with everything it is personal taste. did you try the celestion Greenbacks? Has anyone tried the Neodydium magnet speakers? Do they sound any good?