Which amp?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr. Acula said:
I'm wanting to get myself my first tube amp - not into gigging but do play with mates (a bassist and a drummer, sometimes another guitar) so need something that can cut above them.

Anyways, what amp would you suggest? I was thinking of an RM50 since the 100 may be too powerful for when I'm not playing with others to sound any good.

Also, where is best to get them in the UK - the second hand market over here is rubbish to be honest, and there seem to be precious few places at a reasonable price new.

Congrats! Welcome to the wonderful world of tubed amps.

I love my RM50 it is lite enough to tote back and forth to band practice, the reverb is awesome, just plug and play! and its loud enough for anything I do locally. I also have a LB100 for home use and it rocks, even at lower volumes, just a little more of a pain to haul around, because no built in reverb means haul my effects rack too, either way the sound is great! just a few inputs from me! lol

I'm having a look around for an RM50 but they don't seem like the sort of thing people ever sell. Will keep hunting.

What's a reasonable cab to go with an RM50/100? I was thinking I could easily get a head and a couple of used mods from here (surely somebody must ship overseas) for less than the combo.

Head - ?750
Mods - ?120 (for 2)
Cab - ~?100-150

I'm after a 1x12 or 2x12, anything larger and taking it to uni will be impossible. Preferably I'll get a 1x12 now and then a 2x12/4x12 when I'm home for the Summer.

Am I right in saying it is safe to run a 3 slot RM amp with only 2 modules in - it won't damage anything? Which amps would you recommend for an early Hammet/Hetfield sound? I was thinking the KH mods, but I'm concerned about their versatility, and the fact I don't have actives.

Thanks.

Dr. Acula said:
I'm after a 1x12 or 2x12, anything larger and taking it to uni will be impossible. Preferably I'll get a 1x12 now and then a 2x12/4x12 when I'm home for the Summer.

I would suggest a Mesa closed-back 1x12 with a V30.

Dr. Acula said:
Am I right in saying it is safe to run a 3 slot RM amp with only 2 modules in - it won't damage anything?

It won't damage anything. The amp recognizes that there are only 2 modules plugged in so when you switch channels it only uses the modules plugged in.

Dr. Acula said:
Which amps would you recommend for an early Hammet/Hetfield sound? I was thinking the KH mods, but I'm concerned about their versatility, and the fact I don't have actives.

The module that got me the closest to the MOP tone was an Ultra Lead with parametric eq to boost it and remove the fizz. Ultra Leads are discontinued so the next best thing is KH2 even if you don't use active pickups.

If you can afford a modded module try to get a hold of a Mark module.

Dr. Acula said:
What's a reasonable cab to go with an RM50/100? I was thinking I could easily get a head and a couple of used mods from here (surely somebody must ship overseas) for less than the combo.

Head - ?750
Mods - ?120 (for 2)
Cab - ~?100-150

750 pounds for a head? I know your overseas but i would think you could find better than that. I got my loaded rm100 for 700 USD.

tehuk said:
guitarcomet said:
Dr. Acula said:
I'm wanting to get myself my first tube amp - not into gigging but do play with mates (a bassist and a drummer, sometimes another guitar) so need something that can cut above them.
You'll need 100 watts to do that.

I use an RT2/50 and 50 watts cuts through just fine.

+1
I have a RM4 nd RT2/50 and it is MORE than loud enough [though I can go 100w with it if I wanted too. Don't need to.] I use it through a Peavey Triple X 4x12 and I am soon going to get a 1x12 or 2x12 because the 4x12 is not fun to move around ha. A 2x12 would cover almost any situation. I really like having the 4 module slots too. Extreme versatility.

srrdude said:
750 pounds for a head? I know your overseas but i would think you could find better than that. I got my loaded rm100 for 700 USD.

?750 is already trying hard - most places seem to charge ?1200 for the RM100. As I said, they're insanely pricey over here.

Dr. Acula said:
srrdude said:

?750 is already trying hard - most places seem to charge ?1200 for the RM100. As I said, they're insanely pricey over here.

I'm also in the UK and a Randall user albeit an RG50tc user. There's only really one Randall stockist in the England that will stock most of the range (Absolute Guitars). Randall have been dumped by most of the dealers because of either Randall or the distributers i'm told, have been trying to force the dealers to buy more stock than there is a market to sell to, or they won't let the dealers have any stock. I've been told this by four or five dealers now. Randall's reputation is also terrible in the UK, mainly about reliability. I really want an RM or a Lynch box, but getting one over here is like trying to find the Ark of the Covenent!! I suppose you could ship one over from the U.S. but if it goes wrong it's going to be expensive to send back. There are plenty of dealers in the U.S that will post them to the UK. There was a shop in Gosport that had an RM100 that they were doing a deal on, ?850 plus modules on top.