Who need an post module EQ to nail his tone?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
We are so spoilt with options between the standard and modded modules that sometimes, buying a new one seems to the natural choice rather than using a good old EQ pedal.

I was really happy with the SL++ for my hot rodded marshall tones but found it quite harsh on the treble side. I have checked many other module until today, I added an MXR 10 band EQ in my rack. Awesome result! Cutting the 8k and 16k sliders by -3DB gives me exactly what I was looking for.

Who else found his dream tone with an outboard EQ?

I've tried it, but went back to modules. I like the more straightforward tone of the "right" amp instead of processed by more gear ... if that makes sense.
for me the EQ made it sound right, but not feel right.

Ive never thought it made alot of sense to have to spend som emuch money on guitars,amps,modules,etc and still have to use outboard eq's or other tone enhancement devices...always figured that was why I spent so much money on a particular setup,to minimize teh need for outboard gear,but Ive always been a minimalist in regard to setups....

No matter how you got the sound until you got it . No rules over there IMHO

Interesting points of view...

I am also all in favor of a solution that is as plug and play as possible. And with all the modules available, I really didn't think I would end up resorting to an EQ.

Then, after buying, selling, trading many modules, my ultimate boosted JCM800 tone is the SL++ with a mild EQ correction behind. It just works.

I agree that there are limitations to external EQ. In that case, I am just removing some of the top frequencies so it sounds very natural. I get the "it sounds right but doesn't feel right" comment. When tampering the mids, the change is more drastic and can sound, well... "plastic" as opposed to organic.

I use my RM4 setup with a variety of guitars and pickups:
Humbuckers on a PRS
Single Coils on a Strat
Acoustic Pickup on a Gibson J45

I would be lost without my EQ. It allows me to adapt the tone of the 4 MTS modules to suit each type of pickup without having to mess with the Bass/Mid/Treble settings on each module.

The best thing is this. The EQ I use is a rack-mounted MIDI-controllable Rane MPE28. The MPE28 has 100 programs that can be customized and saved. So a single MIDI foot-pedal controls my effects, my EQ, and MTS module selection in my RM4. No fiddling with knobs when I change guitars.

There are others on this site who use a MIDI-controllable EQ in this manner - Mattfig for instance. He's the guy who put me onto MIDI-controllable EQs in the first place.

I use post EQ most of the time for live- rarely for recording...Just a little EQ though to accent....I never lean on it nor do I keep a module that can't get "almost" there on its own...

Being a purist is fine and good too...But then I find you have to search forever to get what you want when you might have got it sooner with a rig that was "close" then added a small bit of EQ...

I've tried several EQ solutions in the MTS amps....not been happy with any of 'em for tone coloration or robbing the amp of something.

MXR you say - how's it with the line level?

Ya'll might remember that just about every recorded guitar tone you've ever liked has been processed with post EQ (sometimes pre EQ too?), so use it if you need it (I do quite often live via the 4CM'd Axe FX Ultra in my rack, or via plugs/outboard when recording etc)!

The AC powered MXR 10-Band is fine with Line Level, though the 9V 6-Band one's are not.

JKD said:
I've tried several EQ solutions in the MTS amps....not been happy with any of 'em for tone coloration or robbing the amp of something.

to each his own I say....but in my experience of owning tons of cheapo and boutique amps and outboard gear,guitars,pickups,etc....I have just found that stuff doesnt really do a whole lot except maybe clutter the signal chain...with the right set up,a little patience and knowing your equipment you can get great tone...once you pass a certian threshold in equipment quality all the essential elements are there in my esperience...it just comes doen to a matter of taste and like I said,knowing your equipment or taking the time to....

djdayson said:
Ya'll might remember that just about every recorded guitar tone you've ever liked has been processed with post EQ (sometimes pre EQ too?), so use it if you need it (I do quite often live via the 4CM'd Axe FX Ultra in my rack, or via plugs/outboard when recording etc)!

Sorry Dude, that is hands down, unequivocally, untrue.

Recorded tone and sound come from the guitar amp. While it's *sometimes* true that guitars need some EQing to work in a dense mix, especially with huge drums, bass, multiple guitar tracks, vocals, etc., 95%, the tone is untouched.

It's extremely common to put a High Pass filter on guitars at around 60hz, just so those frequencies don't interfere with the kick drum and bass guitar but if you're doing any type of surgical EQ, the guitars were recorded poorly.

^ I agree...after spending some time in local studios of diffeent levels...it seems like the guys who went all surgical & eq happy produced crap results. Godd tone at the source as opposed to "fix it in the mix"

I love my EQ! MXR 10 band M108 in the parallel loop. Have a KFK too, (same thing but stereo outputs) but sits in the closet just in case I need it). Started using it with a 5150 combo, and with my Blue voodoo. It and my Pitchblack tuner are the only pedals I have in the signal now and I'm keeping them there.. I've been thinking about MIDI EQ's but havent tried yet.

Well there is no tone coloration in bypasse mode that I could notice, or level mismatch (had this a lot with delays but not with EQ).

In a way, I am really using the MXR as a presence knob. Maybe a poweramp voiced differently (I use a Mesa Boogie 2:50) could be a more straightforward solution but I just don't feel like going again in the whole buying/selling/ cycle.

I use the EQ on 2 modules out of 8 in my rack, and it's the best sound I got so far.

I have to agree with Mike here, when recording I definitly don't use any EQ on the guitars. It should sound right from the get-go, otherwise you're polishing a turd .. no es bueno.

Also not a huge fan of EQ'ing my tone. Might add a tad of highs in a mix when I have recorded demos at home but i always felt it sounded a little too high-fi for me. Not raw enough.

This is a great thread with lots of good opinions.

I'd like to clarify something I said in my previous post. I use a MIDI-controlled EQ in my live rig but only for one reason. I play 3 guitars, each one having different pickups. If I played only one guitar, then I would set the tone pots on each of the modules to suit that one guitar.

My Blackface module is the one I currently use for my acoustic. I'm about to dip my toe into the waters of custom mods, the first being Rob's Dumble Special OD. Perhaps my next mod will be his SuperClean mod which I'll use for my J45.

Anyway, the Blackface serves not only as my acoustic preamp but also as a clean preamp for my humbucker and single coil guitars. Each needs a different EQ setting and this is where the Rane MPE28 really comes in useful.

Just to clarify my studio eq bashing earlier, if someone else loves their eq settings live or studio, go for it. But in 1999, I had a rack full of eq, compressor, Intellifex, BBE, triaxis, 2:90, and god knows what else in there....I dragged 2 rack cases and wired all this mess up every show to produce (looking back) mediocre to bad tones. I went into a studio to record (a place I have since mentored at), the guy was like, "yea, unplug all that stuff and just give the straight amp". I reluctantly listened, and BAM- instant great tone. I sold all that extra rack gear nonsense and never looked back.