Why cant I sell or trade my Randall Gear?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGKAHUNA

Reaction score
Serious question for you guys. I had an early mid life crisis in '09 and purchased a ton of gear some of which happened to be a Randall Lynch Box and a collection of what I considered to be modules that suited my taste. I am a US citizen with a wife, child and home in the Philippines so of course I at a huge shipping fee and customs duty to get all of my gear to my place there as I was leaving my overseas job and going home.

After flirting with going back to work I ultimately decided not to take the risk. I will now move my wife and child back to the states. In order not to get drilled again with shipping and customs fees for 5 amp heads, 6 guitars and a ton of other gear and effects I am downsize to an all-in-one solution - basically an AxeFx in a rack with a power amp and power conditioner. This would allow me to sell off most of my other gear and make some money to take care of the fam in the process. I can always rebuild when I get back to the states but the AxeFx Ultra should hold my hobbyist needs down for the forseeable future.

Of all my gear - its my Randall Lynch Box and Modules that gets the least attention from prospective buyers. Even on here. I just dont understand this as the rig sounds great, feels great to play and is one of the most versatile set ups there is. Even with all this going for it, it still gets little to no buyer attention. I have also been turned down for every trade I have offered it up for.

I have had it posted here for a while with what I condsider to be fare market value prices. What I see is that the resale prices are going for almost nothing. We as Randall owners sell the gear at prices so low its impossible most times to even make your money back. I understand I have a special circumstance beings I am overseas and that may have something to do with my gear not moving but honestly at the prices I am seeing amps and modules listed, I would lose my *** if i was in the states.

So what gives? Why is this gear that we values so much for its tone and adaptablitly not re-saleable for what we put into it? Why do us Randall owners give in and sell at "give away" prices? This pretty much sets the bar for the rest of us and makes it even harder to break even. As much as I have enjoyed my Randall gear I must say that I am not sure that I will re-invest once I get state side.

Well, if you want an honest answer...The following statement made me stop paying attention...

"The amp will be around $350 or higher to ship so shipping the amp alone wont make much sense. The Fortin Mod, Randall Gear and Martin will ship from the Philippines. "

I figured, great I buy a 1087 and pay 50 bucks to gave it shipped....

That's the truth...If you want to move that stuff your prices are good...It's the shipping...Anyone have options for the man? There must be another way...

Mattfig said:
Well, if you want an honest answer...The following statement made me stop paying attention...

"The amp will be around $350 or higher to ship so shipping the amp alone wont make much sense. The Fortin Mod, Randall Gear and Martin will ship from the Philippines. "

I figured, great I buy a 1087 and pay 50 bucks to gave it shipped....

That's the truth...If you want to move that stuff your prices are good...It's the shipping...Anyone have options for the man? There must be another way...

Thats why I put this in the add:

BIGKAHUNA said:
As most here know I am a US Citizen Living in the Philippines. I understand the issue with shipping and am willing to eat the biggest part of it. I would like to sell the entire list as a package deal at a price break but if you are interested in any of the individual modules PM me and we'll talk. I'll pick up the shipping on my end to get the amp and modules to you and you would pay a standard (agreed upon) domestic rate for the item. The amp will be around $350 or higher to ship so shipping the amp alone wont make much sense. The Fortin Mod, Randall Gear and Martin will ship from the Philippines.

The reason I added the part you referenced is because selling the amp and modules as a set is about the only way I can sell the amp head and make anything at all off of it. No offense but hopefully folks are reading the details. If they arent clear then my bad but I have already addressed the shipping issue.

I don't know what to say man, the bottom has dropped out of the market everywhere and the stuff that has less brand/market recognition just takes more punishment. MTS just doesn't' have the recognition it deserves.

Modded modules that were commanding almost $400 are selling the the mid $200s...it sucks to be a seller.

Bang for buck and tone is hard to beat on the Randall stuff...unfortunately due to the way the market is right now, only the highly desirable stuff and stuff priced at giveaway is moving....it might pick up in a month or so with tax returns on the way.

Sorry man...I do understand...I guess the lack of certain terms, like a flat rate for ConUS, EU, etc...It totally sucks that the shipping costs are so high there man...I guess people see such big numbers and fear complications and the worst...

Tough call 'cause your gear and prices are very good...Maybe giving people a ballpark of what they will owe would help a bit...

Seems the entire market is in a lull right now too....Best of luck!

Mattfig and JKD - Both excellent points and thanks for being honest.

I absolutely lucked out on my AxeFx Ultra a killer trade offer on it from a very cool poster. I am going to weather the storm and stick to my guns. I think my prices are fare. I just dont want to have to resort to Feebay. :D

Thanks guys - keep the opinions coming.

Your overhead on shipping will make things very difficult- if not impossible to get true value on your gear.

Best bet is finding a buyer in the Phillipeans.

crankyrayhanky said:
In 09 I could buy and sell modules endlessly- the resale market was bubbling, there was only 1 or 2 pro modders meaning the low supply/hi demand made dealing easy.
In 2011, jobs are scarce, less buyers, more modders= more modules= lo demand/high supply
Add in the fact that most people wish to deal in their country in case of possible issues makes it even tougher.

I wouldn't get carried away with "great prices great gear". The gear you have is relatively plentiful, and the prices could be described as somewhat high yet fair, but not salivating; and that's not even counting the location issue.

I hear your frustration- I see you just got undercut big time on a similar module; but you can't get upset at the sellers, they set a number that makes them satisfied.

Your overhead on shipping will make things very difficult- if not impossible to get true value on your gear.

Best bet is finding a buyer in the Phillipeans.

Understood about the market. I never meant to imply that my prices were great. Thats just what I would consider to be fare market value for the what it is and what it cost originally.

I am not marking anything up for the shipping - trust me on this. I know that I am going to take the hit but with this being the case its even more important to insure that I get at the very least fare market value. If I drop the the prices to Fire Sale levels I will get nothing.

Also just to be clear I am not upset at anyone. I understand the what GAS is like and also what it is like to need to pay bills. I have ben frustrated by the overall lack of response but never upset at anyone.

I've posted my gear here as well but even at Fire Sale prices most folks here cant afford it. Highend gear here is Line6 Pod, solid state Marshall and Behringer. Honestly this is what most of the studios have. Randall, Fortin, Martin etc is out of reach for most Filipinos with the exception of a very few.

Correction, the prices are great/fair, but destroyed by the overall economy. I have a house for rent/ sale in Phila that I'm getting killed on!

Thats just how it is unforunately....alot of people just do not respect Randall for whatever reason so they will not pay the price for the stuff....If it were and Egnater it would sell..there are alot of brand snobs unfortunately..I got into a debate about this on another forum...someone was saying that they just would never own a randall,they didnt care if the modules sounded as good as the real amp or not....resale just stinks on certain items which is why I akways buy used unless it is something I absolutely have to have and intend to keep for a long time...

Hi,

well, I see you are frustrated, and persistence is the key to the game, because someone rolls around eventually it's just a matter of when. I have stopped wasting time trying to sell stuff outside of ebay myself.

Randall stuff is; made in Asia, not played by Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton or the guy from Creed, and lacks market penetration for brand recognition, so that translates to weak resale.

Is it any easier to get your stuff to Japan? I would think it would sell there.

Good luck!

crankyrayhanky said:
Correction, the prices are great/fair, but destroyed by the overall economy. I have a house for rent/ sale in Phila that I'm getting killed on!

BAM! House rented today :D
Hopefully the luck will spill your way Kahauna

'..alot of people just do not respect Randall for whatever reason.'.
could it be because of Randall's actions?
Despite the fact that Randall really has the best product for boutique sounds at workingmans prices..they just havent gotten the product into the big box stores.
and a 3 module combo would really have made a difference..(lil joke..)
So, that hurts,as well.

I empathsize with Randall's situation..the economy sucks, and there are (essentially) monopolys keeping Randall out.
This is just my opinion...but this is what occurrs to me.

I hope that new blood comes in and re-invigorates the line. I hope Randall understands that the MTS series are essentially good ideas, they just need slight re-works and a very long term commitment for sales to suceed. But, it wouldnt surprize me if their faith in all things MTS is very weak.
No matter to me...I think its a great way to go.

I started a post a while back about Randall's terrible marketing, out of frustration that you could not find their stuff in G.C . I know if they could get a buzz going about the Mts it would help all of us. And it really is a superior product. Anyway I remember reading your classified and my first thought was shipping cost. Sorry but unless your prices are reflecting the extra costs you are going to have a hard time with getting that gear here. I would suggest giving a ballpark figure in your add of how much it will cost say to Chicogo or somewhere in the mid west. That way we might not get scared off so easy. Hope this helps. Personally, I have a 50 watt combo and just don't need anything bigger. I am very tempted by the great deals on the rm100 though, but then I would need a cab. Good luck.

I dont think its a marketing problem..its a monopoly problem.
The very same stores that wont stock Randall WILL stock the egnater amps.
WTF?????????

GtrGeorge! said:

Yeah I see a lot of disrespect for Randall gear on other forums - whats up wih the comment "becaue of Randall's actions?"

Am I missing something?

BIGKAHUNA said:
GtrGeorge! said:

Yeah I see a lot of disrespect for Randall gear on other forums - whats up wih the comment "becaue of Randall's actions?"

Am I missing something?

Not missing anything....That's kinda the issue....There are some here that think Randall has dropped the ball a bit on MTS and done very little development or promotion...I believe the often used statistic is one new module since 2007 and yearly promises of new ones...Others here think we have all we need and the modders fill the void better than Randall anyway...That's the rub...Take it for what it's worth...Good luck on the sales!

Latest posts