6L6-ish tubes for RM22 ..

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0jo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been fiddlig with my RM22 for quite a while now. While I like the amp I've decided the powertubes (stock JJ EL84) are just not to my taste. (didn't like the JJ EL34's either).
Mostly the mids seem too cramped (like any JJ tube IMO) and I'd like some more definition in the high end. So basically what I want is a lower wattage 6L6 :lol:

I'm interested in the TAD EL84str, they're talked of as a "hard rock" hotrodded EL84 ... anyone here have experience with them?
Are there different tube types I should be considering?

Cheers!

Thats a tough one because of the pin format of the EL84. Other power tube types won't fit the sockets.

My own opinion of the EL84s (I have a RM22) is that they break up too early. I really have no idea how to improve the tone other than trying out several brands until you find a favorite.

I was looking at the Preferred Series at thetubestore.com. They seem a little pricey but I have had great experiences with the people and products they sell.

That's a tough one m0jo. All I can offer is the fact that I tried every brand of EL84 (that I could afford) including the Preferred Series. I honestly didn't jive with any of them and simply had to dump the RM22 I had in exchange for an RM50 to meet my needs.

Also, I'm guessing you already know this but the plate voltage is pretty high on the RM20 and 22. Some tubes (Gold Lions for example) can't handle that high voltage and will wear or die much faster than they ever should.

Before I would buy any tubes, I would check the actual plate voltage and keep that in consideration.

I did not and my expensive Gold Lions took a dump in less than a week. Hopefully you can avoid this issue...JJs aren't optimal to most but they can take that voltage and then some. Just sayin'...

Cheers!

Yeah, the 20 sounds great with vox/matchless modules and my mash all on low gain settings, but anything that needs headroom needs the rm50. Nature of the beast. Get both. You'll be happy you did.

I've got a pair of those TAD EL84s in my Boogie Studio .22. I don't have a lot of experience with different makes of EL84s, but they sound like EL84s to me. I wouldn't expect them to sound like something they're not.

I really don't understand why the low-wattage MTS amps all use EL84s. 6V6s would be a much better choice for what MTS is trying to do, IMO. I run my VP4 preamp into the effects return of an Egnater Tweaker running the stock 6V6s (possibly Sovtek) for my low-volume home jamming. Sounds great.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I appreciate it.
I also think they don't combine too nicely with my cab at home.. it's a bit middish already.

Seems like EL84 is just not my thing ..

I think I'm going to sell it and make a minirack with an RM4 and that new Fryette 1u 6L6 poweramp :D

Wait, what's this? Is it mono? I've been after a mono tube power amp forever.

Whoopysnorp said:
Wait, what's this? Is it mono? I've been after a mono tube power amp forever.
Me too!

1U, 6L6 (4x), 40 watts stereo or 80 watts bridged mono!!!

It's still in development, almost done. Check out Fryette's Facebook page for more info and sneak peaks!
It's called the Fryette LXII