Iron Maiden

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD

Reaction score
Anyone know what would module give me a good Iron Maiden sound from the 80's such as the Trooper, The Prisoner, 2 Minutes to Midnight? Would it be a Plexi? Thanks.

Plexi would be too low gain... I get a pretty good tone for this stuff from the brown, though. SL+ would do it too, I'd assume

Phantom123 said:
Plexi would be too low gain...

Have to disagree on that point, those classic Maiden albums the original poster is referencing are from 82-84, they are actually a lot less gain that you think. That's before the real high gain boom. Those amp tones are very clean and dynamic. Plexis and SL's work great. Maybe an extra boost on solos but you can definitely run those riffs on a stock Plexi. I have, plenty of times, with gain to spare. You listen to Powerslave and those amps are very clean, its all about attack, tone and great mids. Not so much about high gain. Dimarzio Super Distortions will also help a lot.

Goldfish said:
Phantom123 said:
Plexi would be too low gain...

Have to disagree on that point, those classic Maiden albums the original poster is referencing are from 82-84, they are actually a lot less gain that you think. That's before the real high gain boom. Those amp tones are very clean and dynamic. Plexis and SL's work great. Maybe an extra boost on solos but you can definitely run those riffs on a stock Plexi. I have, plenty of times, with gain to spare. You listen to Powerslave and those amps are very clean, its all about attack, tone and great mids. Not so much about high gain. Dimarzio Super Distortions will also help a lot.

+1

A tube screamer is also key for Adrian's tone

I would think a Plexi or an SL+ would get you close. I have a JTM and I don't think it would do Maiden justice.

man, I am gonna have to get a plexi. I'm finding my setup too high gain for a lot of our cover band material. And if the plexi can cop that Maiden sound too....

I've been rippin up some classic maiden on my Plexi since i got it a few months back, after three o'clock on the gain i find it really kicks in if you need it to, then the SL+ for the leads and some newer maiden

Glad you mentioned the Dimarzio SD pups fpr that tone... really it's a less is more gain thing and the focused mids. Other bands at the time using MArshall's... plexi's and 800 would use a slight delay to give the impression of more gain... check Judas priest for that sound... see the Screaming For Vengeance disk.

khingpynn said:
Glad you mentioned the Dimarzio SD pups fpr that tone... really it's a less is more gain thing and the focused mids. Other bands at the time using MArshall's... plexi's and 800 would use a slight delay to give the impression of more gain... check Judas priest for that sound... see the Screaming For Vengeance disk.

Exactly

If I were to get that Maiden sound (Though I'd be talking more mid-era SiT/7so7s)
I IMHO would not go MTS but grab a JMP-1 (again)
coupled to something like an old Boss GX-700, EL34 poweramp and a Super Distortion equipped
You've got it nailed

Thanks, I've already got an MTS though and so far am absolutely loving it. I just want to ge somewhat close to a Maiden sound. I don't want a setup that's limited to it. That's the beauty of the Randall MTS!

I would also use something like an SD-1 or Tubescreamer. Try your gain about 1:00 on the module, low gain and high level on the pedal. I've used this combo for years in cover bands and it sounds great.

I used to use a Brahma or modded out plexi with a clean boost in front of the amp. Level set at max, gain at zero. Pulled off Iron Maiden with ease! :D

+1 on the Bhrama, its perfect for the older Maiden, SL+ for the newer stuff. The Dimarzio SD helps too as well as G12t 75 speakers.

Latest posts