Need some help on a trade.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berserker

Reaction score
I have a Randall RM50 that's near new with a Grail module and Blackface and I need to know is it a good trade if I swapped it for a Marshall 6100. I'm kinda because I'm not sure.

You'd probably get the better end of the deal value wise as Randall's do not have good resale value. Whether the 6100 is a better amp is debatable.

If you feel there are shortcomings the RM50 can easily be modded to suit exactly what you want, but it will never have 3 channels or a Marshall logo. Definitely play the Marshall first.

scottro123 said:
You'd probably get the better end of the deal value wise as Randall's do not have good resale value. Whether the 6100 is a better amp is debatable.

If you feel there are shortcomings the RM50 can easily be modded to suit exactly what you want, but it will never have 3 channels or a Marshall logo. Definitely play the Marshall first.

+1. Unless, you bought the Randall used. I have bought all of my MTS stuff used at pretty good prices. That would include two RM50 combo's, two RM100 heads, and many modules. I have moved all of the amps but one RM100 head and passed the savings along to the new owners. I like Karma to be my friend.

eyeball987 said:
scottro123 said:

+1. Unless, you bought the Randall used. I have bought all of my MTS stuff used at pretty good prices. That would include two RM50 combo's, two RM100 heads, and many modules. I have moved all of the amps but one RM100 head and passed the savings along to the new owners. I like Karma to be my friend.

I bought it from Randall as a refurb for $700 and bought my modules used. However the first head blew in the first week and Randall sent me a brand new '09/'10 head. I think I'm going to pass. A modded SL sounds right to me.

I traded my Mesa Roadster dual Rec for a RM100LB with a Blackface, SL+, XTC and Treadplate(JF modded) and a 2x12 Randall with seventy 80's.

I sometime want my roadster back but i think it's because i was the MEsa name, I sometimes get stupid like that, shallow thoughts, but I have never been unpleased with the LB, so I will be keeping it. Next time i got threw a trade phase I might by an unload dual rec and put my LB stuff in it, lol.

I personally don't think you should trade, althought you can always get rid of the Marshall for more cash, but with the RM100 you'll never need to buy a new amp, just mods that cover every tone, and the modders can tweak what you want down to the last value of cap or resistor

I would say trade the RM50 for an RM100 if you need more than 2 channels in 1 amp. Otherwise keep the RM50. buy different modules (stock or modded), or have modules modded to your specific tastes.

Just grab a nice clean module like the Clean, Blackface, or KH1 for the clean channel. Buy a boost pedal like a Fulltone GT500 to use with the clean channel. And have the second amp channel for whatever you want. There. Now you have a three channel amp.

Yeah I kept her. I just want to be able to get a channel for some GNR tones but don't have the cash to actually get a modded SL+ or Egnater SLX. I've been wanting one since I bought the amp but time will tell.

Yeah I kept her. I just want to be able to get a channel for some GNR tones but don't have the cash to actually get a modded SL+ or Egnater SLX. I've been wanting one since I bought the amp but time will tell. I actually don't care for three channels. However I do run my ZW overdrive into the clean channel because it gets me close enough to be ok-ish with the tone for that type of thing.

Hit the forums. The grail is probably good trade bait for a more marshallic sounding module. good luck!

Of course I had to chuckle about the responses here. I'm sure they'd be exactly the opposite if you asked in a Marshall fourm :lol:

+1 to scott. You're asking for unbiased info from a very biased forum haha. Most of us are here because we love our mts gear. Unless you're just trying to get more value built in your gear, id pass on the marshall. Your randall has the capability to be the most flexible amp available. To me, even multi channel "flexible" marshalls still have an inherent marshall quality that you will never get rid of. If you like that then great. But if not, you're stuck with it.