Which pickups for which modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonP

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like certain modules prefer passives, and some are better with actives.

Anyone else find this the case?

Thanks.

sure. High gain passives drive the OD Special too hard, so much so that I removed it as my low/mid gain module. It sounds great, but I wanted something that would give me edge-of-breakup and couldn't strike that balance with it. Replaced it for gigs with a stock 1086.

I don't much care for the 59RR in JCM800 mode with single coils. There's just this bitey upper midrange that bugs me. No one else seems to notice but it is there. Just as I start to think it's just not the mod for me, a guitar with humbuckers reminds me of why it is so awesome.

So just for the hell of it, I took a bunch of modules to our last practice. I was using my Strat when I popped the good ol' OD Special in. It is just sublime with a Strat. Hitting it with a lower output pickup allowed the touch sensitivity to really shine. It will now properly clean up when the volume or pick attack is backed off. And roars only when you dig in (or turn the gain up).

So it is back in the RM!

Then it occurred to me that I hadn't used the ODS with the band since before the Strat arrived. When you think about those classic Dumble tones & users, it's all vintage single coils or lower output humbuckers. Forgot that. My main gig guitar for the longest time had been a US Fusion with a TZ/Evo set and a Fusion Plus (stock J80/J50) as backup. Now I switch it up between Strat & US Fusion as the song requires.

I definitely use different pickups for different mods. However, there could be instances where it might be cool to change things up.
I have an old tele and strat and they sound great with the old fender modules like the tweed and deluxe. My JEM kind of sucks with those amps but really shines with higher gain modules. My old geetars with single coils tend to be really noisy with high gain amps. Part of the joy of having a bunch of modules is that I can match each guitar with the perfect module. Kind of like how I am with recording my acoustic geetars....I have certain mics that sound wonderful with certain geetars and it is great to have the capability to be so discerning.

I have many guitars all with different pickups. My fave combos are:

P90s - Salvation Baseman, Salvado Deluxe, JF ODS, Voxless

Standard Single Coils- Salvation Baseman (when I have a need for Tweed - the PERFECT strat/tele module)

Standard Humbuckers - SG MK22, JF XTC, Salvation Mashall+, Camerock

High Output Humbuckers - Salvation Mamba, Camerock, Mashall+, Salvado Deluxe, MarkUS, Terrier II, JF Mark X, Trilogy

Active Humbuckers - Salvation Mamba, Salvation MarkUS, JF Super Clean

P90 - Brahma, 59RR (JMP), SLOD100 (crunch)

Humbucker - Brahma, #39, SLOD100, Judge, 59RR

Actives - Beast

The Jaded Faith Voxless- on the lower-gain settings, I really only care for my strat and my MJ loaded with a P-94 and Bluesbucker; however, when you bump the gain up and throw the Pushed switch, a humbucking pickup really cuts through nicely