Boutique amp builder mods?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey kapo

WTF?

this is a **** fine thing here for every mts member - so why are
you trying to start some **** ?!?

are you bored ?? just for the drama ??

and FYI this mod is only available because alot of people were begging Anthony for this mod (me included)

Relax will ya sailor? It seems that everyone on this forum is so **** sensitive all the time. Perhaps you should reread my post. I am clearly fine with this but I am just generally interested in how this is perceived. As I said, I am cool with it and it looks like it has awesome features. I just know that on other forums guys like Cameron seem to be untouchable and anytime anyone (say ceriatone) comes close to creating something similar, everyone jumps on board to light their *** on fire. I also clearly did not say that Anthony copied anyone as it is clear to me this is his take on the circuit and not a copy of anything. I know it seems to some of you that i am now in the anti Salvation camp but that is not the case at all. What i am in, is the anti Salvation attitude camp when it comes at me full force just because I make a joke or state the obvious. Everyone needs to calm down and take a step back. If all we are ever doing is kissing *** around here this forum will get boring fast. Let's have some debate for a change. This thread started out discussing "boutique" amp mods so let's use the thread for it's intended purpose.

Quick add: I agree a bit with fuzzboat, Kapo. You make some (IMO) somewhat inflammatory remarks, then minimize it by saying you're cool with it. I am under the impression that you're well aware this is going to cause some conflict. This is hardly a new topic, so I have to wonder what you're motivation is for making your comments. Too much treble? Or maybe not enough? :p

Go find my inflammatory comments... by your criteria this
Too much treble? Or maybe not enough? :p
is inflammatory and no different than any of my comments. The difference is, nobody kisses my ***.

All the other points seem valid to me though. When you guys weren't being inflammatory that is :wink: I've already expressed interest in a PT100 myself.. maybe that one can come next.

All good, just a couple of blokes having a friendly difference of opinion..on how words are interpreted and read, not even about the mods. In the future i'll minimize the treble bleed 8)

speed2dirt said:
Did Randall ask Bogner if they could copy his Ecstasy design with the XTC mod? Or Fender with the Deluxe and Tweed mods? Or Marshall with the JTM, Plexi, & SL+ mods?

but they didn't. They copped the tone, but they never copied the designs.

Anthony's new design is the same. He's not ripping off Cameron's circuit - he's developing a new circuit to replicate the tone in module form. Very different to the Ceriatone guys who might build an exact replica of another's amp design.

Let not the Cameron curse infect this module or thread! Shocked Laughing

Good point.. i have seen that a lot over at rig talk or gearpage in the past.. Ceriatone though doesn't usually clone exactly, his layouts are a tad diff in most instances but I see what you are saying.

JKD said:
Let not the Cameron curse infect this module or thread! :shock: :lol:

I caved this week and tried to get the last Atomica Brad had for sale :oops:

as usual I was too late :cry:

camerock here I come

if thing does indeed cop that ccv vibe - I'm hoping with the right pedal/eqing it'll can do a decent Atomica

that would be a fine thing indeed

ibenhad said:
Mike P wrote :
A Behringer Composer isn't equal to a UA 1176 nor is a MXL condenser equal to a Neumann U47. If you want emulate the sounds that you covet, it's important to use the same exact gear.

Really????? Then doesn?t that blow your whole Randall MTS system sounds 99% out of the water? You do say same exact gear. I agree a module gets you close but a Slodano doesn't have Deyoung trannies like a Soldano for example and about 1000 other differences between the modules/power section of the Randall stuff and the hand wired boutique stuff. There are people call them crazy that can hear a difference in batteries in their foot pedals (Eric Johnson). We all use different cabs, tubes, speakers (some broken in more than others), strings, cables, pickups, bridges and blah blah blah. The main thing is we all also use and posses different ears.

I can tell you unequivocally that I have played and recorded my original amps side by side with modules like the Angel, SLO-100, Mk22, Diablo and so on, and with MY hands, MY guitars, MY signal chain, the difference between the modified modules and the amps is insignificant, if there's any difference at all.

ibenhad said:
Should the modders create boutique modules? Maybe just like it's a courtesy to them to not let their mods out they should contact guys like Trace (Voodoo), Scott (Splawn) and Ben (Fargen) to see if they mind a module. That seems like the right thing to do. Who knows maybe those guys and others want a piece of the pie?

Carry on....

This is silly. The MTS boards are unlike those that exist in the amps you've listed. The guys that are "cloning" are adapting a circuit to sound like a pre-existing amp, so it's not a "clone" per se, except in tone. Asking "permission" is absolutely unnecessary and a ludicrous proposition, IMO.