Boutique amp builder mods?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interstingly, Steve Morse said something the other day at a clinic...he said no two amps have ever sounded the same to him. Amps/modules/whatever just get us close and the fingers have to do the rest. So that to me says that modules are the way to go. There are more people out there making $4000 amps sound bad than good. :wink:

rhequiem said:
Btw, Anthony just posted that he is going to be developing a module based around the CCV. Sweet! He's looking for name suggestions, so if any of you have any good ideas and want to be a part of modded module history, go chime in hehe

WOW - count me in !!

fuzzboat said:
rhequiem said:
Btw, Anthony just posted that he is going to be developing a module based around the CCV. Sweet! He's looking for name suggestions, so if any of you have any good ideas and want to be a part of modded module history, go chime in hehe

WOW - count me in !!

I like the "Viper" as a name :lol:

Check his FB page! \m/ Must have!

http://www.facebook.com/salvationmods

Thanx for the link

**** that looks sweet and knowing Anthony's reputation I bet that
baby sounds as sweet too !

hopefully the clips are up soon (I may even buy one before he
gets a clip posted :lol: )

Anthony you are the Man 8)

Thank You - Thank You - Thank You

Cool design and concept for the CCV. It is great that the competition between modders is fueling their creativity. That's a win / win for all of us.

Interstingly, Steve Morse said something the other day at a clinic...he said no two amps have ever sounded the same to him. Amps/modules/whatever just get us close and the fingers have to do the rest. So that to me says that modules are the way to go. There are more people out there making $4000 amps sound bad than good. Wink

+ 1 - I think i am backing off my module purchases for now and focusing back on my playing. Since getting into MTS i have been doing nothing but tone chasing and picking everything apart. Then i saw Aldrich warmup on a practice amp... it reminded me of John Norum warming up on a 15 watt solid state head. he was SMOKING. Unbeleivable chops. I need to get back to just going with a Marshall mod of some type and enjoying the music again.

Kapo_Polenton said:
It is great that the competition between modders is fueling their creativity. That's a win / win for all of us.
Not necessarily. They are more developed out of passion for creating them and demand from you guys.

I'm really looking forward to hearing that Camerock in action. I am planning on ordering one, but need to make sure I have some leftover quid after buying the Rhoadie! It's tough keeping up with all these mods, but it sure is fun!

Well...I paid my deposit for Camerock, here's hoping for the be-all, end-all modded Marshall holy grail tone.....it won't have any of the CCV power section mojo but knowing Anthony it will be top notch and super flexible.

JKD said:
Well...I paid my deposit for Camerock, here's hoping for the be-all, end-all modded Marshall holy grail tone.....it won't have any of the CCV power section mojo but knowing Anthony it will be top notch and super flexible.

ditto that

Anthony will have my deposit shortly as well :D

"based directly on **edited** and also has all features of **edited** (Gain1, bright1, gain2, bright2, drive, gain style) "

sounds like winner to me !!!

best part is no more saving up $$ for a mini **edited** ~ yeah !

Question.. what did Mark Cameron think of this? I guess they got permission of some sort? Just wondering if he gets a cut because it is essentially his design or if because it is an interpretation of his design in a little package and on a diff platform, it is fine? I guess when it comes to any of the types of circuits (quick rod, cameron etc..) you have to tread lightly or do we think nothing is owed to the camerons of the world because it is interpretation? What does everyone think? I'm fine with it personally..

Kapo_Polenton said:
Question.. what did Mark Cameron think of this? I guess they got permission of some sort? Just wondering if he gets a cut because it is essentially his design or if because it is an interpretation of his design in a little package and on a diff platform, it is fine? I guess when it comes to any of the types of circuits (quick rod, cameron etc..) you have to tread lightly or do we think nothing is owed to the camerons of the world because it is interpretation? What does everyone think? I'm fine with it personally..

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... Of course flattery doesn't pay the bills. But really, I never heard of Line 6 paying royalties to the amps they modeled.

Kapo_Polenton said:

hey kapo

WTF?

this is a **** fine thing here for every mts member - so why are
you trying to start some **** ?!?

are you bored ?? just for the drama ??

and FYI this mod is only available because alot of people were begging Anthony for this mod (me included)

if your smart you might wanna jump on board and get one while you can cause for all anyone knows this may end up being limited run just like JF's 59RR Platinum - :idea:

its all good anyway cause "what happens in europe stays in europe"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My take on it is it's a totally different platform (a preamp module), so all Anthony is recreating is the tone (or his interpretation of it, at least) of the amps he bases these modules around, and potentially some of the features (like the dual gain knobs). I don't think the tone or the features are trademarked, which is why modelling companies can create their takes on these tones, too, but with slightly different names.

I am sure someone with more legal knowledge than I have could chime in more on this, but I think a less scrupulous amp builder could probably actually build an exact replica of an amp (power section and all), perhaps with very minor changes; call it something different, and sell it without legal issues. I think copying the trademarked items is where someone could potentially get into legal issues with this. The practice of imitating tones has been around for quite awhile, so I imagine if it were illegal in any way, the practice would have stopped some time ago.

Quick add: I agree a bit with fuzzboat, Kapo. You make some (IMO) somewhat inflammatory remarks, then minimize it by saying you're cool with it. I am under the impression that you're well aware this is going to cause some conflict. This is hardly a new topic, so I have to wonder what you're motivation is for making your comments. Too much treble? Or maybe not enough? :p

That said, I can't wait to get my Rhoadie and Camerock! :)

rhequiem said:
My take on it is it's a totally different platform (a preamp module), so all Anthony is recreating is the tone (or his interpretation of it, at least) of the amps he bases these modules around, and potentially some of the features (like the dual gain knobs). I don't think the tone or the features are trademarked, which is why modelling companies can create their takes on these tones, too, but with slightly different names.

I am sure someone with more legal knowledge than I have could chime in more on this, but I think a less scrupulous amp builder could probably actually build an exact replica of an amp (power section and all), perhaps with very minor changes; call it something different, and sell it without legal issues. I think copying the trademarked items is where someone could potentially get into legal issues with this. The practice of imitating tones has been around for quite awhile, so I imagine if it were illegal in any way, the practice would have stopped some time ago.

Quick add: I agree a bit with fuzzboat, Kapo. You make some (IMO) somewhat inflammatory remarks, then minimize it by saying you're cool with it. I am under the impression that you're well aware this is going to cause some conflict. This is hardly a new topic, so I have to wonder what you're motivation is for making your comments. Too much treble? Or maybe not enough? :p

That said, I can't wait to get my Rhoadie and Camerock! :)

Amen to that!

Kapo_Polenton said:
Question.. what did Mark Cameron think of this?

As an aside, I'd like to know what Mark Cameron had to say to the several people who prepaid for a CCV and never got one OR their several thousand dollars back 8)

rhequiem said:
Kapo_Polenton said:
Question.. what did Mark Cameron think of this?

As an aside, I'd like to know what Mark Cameron had to say to the several people who prepaid for a CCV and never got one OR their several thousand dollars back 8)

I heard LOTS of bad things about this....dude took the cash and hasnt delivered.. He's not well liked- Was a lot of buzz about this at NAMM. Guy makes some KILLER amps and mods but flake city. .I also heard Tone Merchants (D Friedman) snatched up the Cameron brand??

Did Randall ask Bogner if they could copy his Ecstasy design with the XTC mod? Or Fender with the Deluxe and Tweed mods? Or Marshall with the JTM, Plexi, & SL+ mods?

Just because Salvation is a smaller company as well as Cameron, doesn't change the facts. Big company copies big boutique company's amp is the same principle as small company copies small boutique company's amp. Also, it's been noted that the Camerock does not incorporate any of Cameron's power amp designs. They're not the same. People buying them do not expect a Cameron CCV, but rather Salvation's take on that specific design. Will the Camerock threaten the CCV's sales? I doubt it because they're in two completely different price ranges. It's kind of like Soldano and Jet City. They both utilize similar designs, but one is boutique and one is mass produced. The people that want a Soldano do not settle for a Jet City. But the people that want a $500 hot rodded Marshall type amp will purchase a Jet City. So all in all, they're gaining market share by representing two different price points.

How many Les Paul, Strat, 335, Explorer, etc. copies are out there. The copies all sound similar. My deal with any of this stuff is that I have tone in my head and I can get **** close to it with just about any amp or guitar. However, some amps and guitars make it a hell of a lot easier to get that tone.
ricky