Brahma Module..."Tried it/Played it" thread!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey Khing...glad to hear that you're digging the modules.that's a good thing.i'm not a big vintage marshall/plexi guy,but i can definately appreciate it's tone.i'm more of a higher gain-type guy.i purchased the Grail,a few weeks back,and keep on liking it,more & more.it's growing on me,every day,that's for sure.i was never really big on the recto tone,maybe because of its loose(r) bottom end,but with its tightness & clarity,the Grail is really starting to do it for me!!! on the other hand,the Mr Scary is an excellent module,also.definately has that smoooooth Soldano tone,that you mentioned,and i do love Soldano tone.i've already got an SL+ module,which i absolutely love.it's got that raw-er,crunchy,low-mids grindy hot-rodded Marshall vibe to it.i'm still always tempted to buy a Mr Scary module,to add to my collection.not to mention that GL is one of my fav axemen of all-time...i'm sure i'll end up getting a Mr Scary down the road...btw,i think i hear it calling my name,at night,when i sleep..."Ned...Neddy...Nedster...buy me,buy me,wake up,dont eat for a week,go to a music store & buy me now!!!" LOL!!! enjoy the modules,man!!!

LMAO... it is that way tho is'nt it... gear calling you at night while your trying to sleep.

I had the recto on loan while I was waiting for the other mods... the Tweed aswell... Tweed is very cool, the recto left me flat tho it had some cool tones jus tnot as cool as the Grail for sure.

I love high gain too but have allways had a place for vintage Marshall tone.

Question for you Ned... the SL+... is this something I should be taking a serious look at? Whats you take on this module? I know you love it... it's SLO inspired right?

Khing

well,no,the SL+ is a hot-rodded Marshall tone,more in the tradition of a older Superlead with a boost in the gain...here's Randall's description about the SL+,from their website: * SL +
(Based on the preamp circuit of a hot rodded Marshall? Super Lead. We give the classic Super Lead circuit a bit more gain and punch. It will handle anything from Zeppelin to Zakk.)...now,with that in mind,the SL+ and Mr Scary are pretty similiar.here's my take on the two...gainwise,about even..tonewise,Mr Scary has a smoother tone and a bit more mids(with more on the upper-mids also)than the Sl+.whereas,the Sl+ has a real grindy,lower mids focal point & it's more of a crunchier,raw,aggressive tone to it.the Mr Scary has a bit more refined tone,overall,to it,hence the Soldano texture your hearing.you can find many clips of the SL+ on the mts forum,in the "Rigs & Tones" section,if you're interested in hearing it...both modules are quite similiar,yet each does have its own distinct tone.not sure if i can justify spending the cash to have them both,yet,being a huge George Lynch fan,i'd really like to have his 80's dokken-tone emulating signature module in my collection...other than that,i know lots of forum guys love their SL+ module!!! ...ahhh,decisions,decisions???

Sounds like the SL+ would be a good unit to have in the same head as the Mr Scary... SL+=Rythm... Mr SCary=Lead... may be a viable option.

Khing

yeah,that's how some guys are using both modules...SL+ for rhythm tone & Mr Scary for lead tone...definately cant go wrong there!!!

Well, I was just checking out the Brahma with George's settings according to Gerry and it definitely sped up my learning curve on that thing--esp. turning the bass up to 10. It had been sounding a bit ice picky to me at first but cranking back the presence helped. I've been checking it out with a DS1 and then a Tonebone mid/gain boost. Very classic Marshall tone... nice!

As for the SL+, On the way home from work today, I was listening to Toni Iommi's tone on the song "I" from Dehumanizer. At least to me, that reminded me of the SL+.

yeah,the Dehumanizer album has that SL+ tone in it.the song "I" is my personal fav on the album.i just caught the "Heaven & Hell" tour,both the Chicago & Detroit shows,back to back weekends...man,i absolutely love Dio-era Sabbath...it was a spiritual experience at both shows!!! ...sorry,off topic,a bit there!!!

Off topic also but, hey, I was at the Detroit show also. What an outstanding performance. I saw them on the Mob Rules tour also back in the day and Ronnie hasn't lost a thing since then. 65 years old? Wow. Ronnie was in perfect voice. Anyway, the tone on Dehumanizer is great and I was just thinking the other day how it reminded me of the SL+.

Has anyone on here ever tried the Xotic BB Preamp Pedal? I'm curious as to how that might sound in front of the Brahma. I might pick one up this summer.

yeah,i missed 'em on the "Mob Rules" tour.i was in jr high school,at the time-a tad too young,but i had the album & was loving it.i did see 'em back in 1992,for the De-humanizer tour,though...that was killer! the 2007 show in Chicago was soooo awesome and,yes,Dio's voice is still absolutely great,especially for his age.the whole band was phenominal.like i mentioned,the concert was a religious affair.so moving,that a buddy & me decided that seeing them once wasnt enough,so we rode our motorcycles out to Detroit,the next saturday,to see 'em again...and it was just great.i was real happy to hear them play "The Sign Of The Southern Cross",one of my favorite songs,in it's entirety!!! ...sorry,off topic,again.last time ,though!!! :)

We saw Dio with Sabbath when they reformed for the first time , about 12 years ago? in Toronto. It was a great show. We were slightly drunk, and we were buying these Polish sausages to munch on before the show. Anyway, I decided to show my appreciation by throwing the sausage at the stage :oops: it went flying right over Dio's head :shock:
T

LMAO... good one bro... I went to see H&H in Calgary... great show. I'm a long time Tony Iommi fan and love Dio era Sabbath so it was something I was waiting to do for 25 years.

Khing

Yeah, man. it was a funny night, considering that one of my buddies has a PHD in Music, he teaches literally down the street. And here we are, in Maple Leaf Gardens, throwing sausages at Black sabbath :lol: I actually got hasseled by security on my way in, they thought the sausage in my pocket was a weapon. I told them I'm just happy to see them :wink:

At the Detroit show, some guy jumped up and ran across the stage, arms flailing... Dio smiled and called him an *******. Was that you Goldwing? JK, LOL!

nah...if it would have been me,i'd would have been running around with pantyhose on my head,oranges over my eyes,and yelling "i'm a bug,i'm a bug!!!" LOL! however,i did get to spill this idiot's full beer in his face,in return for knocking down some harmless,young kid that was standing next to me,causing the kid to lose his full beer,that he just got back from the beer stand with.this moron-guy was some drunkin' wanna-be tuff-guy jerk and plows right through the kid standing next to me,then tells the kid to f**k off.you gotta picture this loser-early 40's,cheesy-weak half-grown mustache/goatee, short,skinny runt with a Harley-Davidson cap on backwards and a nasty,dirty,old black concert t-shirt.justy a drunkin,disorderly troublemaker-type...so,being a native Chicagoan(and fellow mid-westerner),myself,i dont put up with that crap,so i reached in front of this clown's face,as he was walking away from us,and shoved his full beer cup into his face,as he was raising it towards his mouth.this guy went ballistic.the best part was that this happened right at the moment that Megadeth finished their set and the lights went out.this chump didnt know who did it,but he looked like a circus monkey,standing there,waiving his arms in the air,beer foam on his face,neck & shirt,practically about to cry & call for his mommy,like a little school girl!!! this guy was beat-red from anger,yet i had tears in my eyes from laughter...my god,it was beautiful...justice was served.i felt great(so did the little kid)and i kept on laughing for about 20 minutes with my buddy,until Heaven & Hell came on stage...ahhh,comes around-goes around! gotta love it!!! btw,so Caine...when your older brother got home that night,and took off his wet cap,did you ask him why there was beer spilled all over him & why he looked so pissed off??? LOL!!! ...just kidding,man! you know i love all my mts forum brothers,dont ya? -goldwing68nv

but seriously,Caine was right...some idiot runs across the stage,at the Detroit show,right past Dio,between songs.then Dio laughs,shaking his head side-to-side,and says to the audience..."i'd like to congratulate you all,for now you know what an ******* looks like on stage!!!" ...that was pretty funny!!! ...and,no Caine,he's not my brother,either!!! LOL!!!

yeah,seeing them once just wasnt enough! it worked out perfectly that the Detroit show was the very next saturday,a week after the Chicago show.i bought two tickets,for the price of one,off ebay just days before,and the 4 1/2 hour motorcycle trip made it all fun too!!! ...now,i hate to spread an unconfirmed rumor,but two guys that were standing next to us,at the Detroit show,mentioned that they did hear that Heaven & Hell were coming back here,for a second leg of the U.S. tour,right after they wrapped up their European tour.i have not been able to confirm this anywhere...man,that would be awesome!!! i'd love to see Heaven & Hell again.that's how much of a Dio-Sabbath fan i am!!! ...anyone hear anything about this? please let me know!!! thanks!

Their's a DVD coming out of the H and H tour... I had heard that Dio is going back into the studio for a Dio album after the European tour.

As for the Brahma, I guess I'm still experiencing a bit of an ice pick or shrillness on the high end. When I try to clean it up, it loses definition. Maybe it's just that my 43 year old rock musicians ears are fried. The module does have a nice spank to it, I probably just need mess with it some more... In the past, I've contemplated trying out some Weber beam blockers: http://www.webervst.com/blocker.html

Latest posts