Brahma Module..."Tried it/Played it" thread!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caine... the Brahma is a top endy Marshall Super Lead for sure... does yours have the Tung Sol 12AX7 or the JJ.
If it has the JJ then I would highly recommend trying Tung Sol or even EH... something with a smoother top end.
I run mine with the Treble at about 9 o:clock and the presence at around 12o:clock, bass all the way up and the mids somewhere between 12 and 3 o:clock the gain is between 2 and 3 o:clock. Depending on the guitar I'll have the brite switch either on or off. Its a great mod for neck posisiton pups too. When I drive it with the Soldano Supercharger GTO I keep the GTO tone to a "as flat as possible" setting with the the gain at just a notch above the Brahma ( so effecctivly it doubles the gain ) and the output is driving the signal to boost for solos and single note rifage. This really thickens up the tone and the presence of substantially more gain brings forth a thick rich lower mid quality that just exudes vintage mid/hi gain singing sustain al; Mississippi Queen.
Lots of fun.

Khing

turning down the treble to 9-10 helped and then adjusting my pedal tone controls. Also, turning up the amp really does make that thing spank out the tone. I'm saying that the DS1 is better then the TS in front of this so far, but I'd like to pick up a Cusack Sreamer or Sparkle Drive later this summer and try one of those also.

Well, I just sprung for a BB Xotic Preamp on eBay. I've been curious about this pedal for a long time and I like that it has the dual eq pots instead of just one tone control (to fatten up the bottom "like an Easter Pig"). I'm really curious how this thing sounds in front of the Brahma--will soon find out. I saw Andy Timmons give an overview of the BB pedal on youtube about 8 months ago and it's been sticking in the back of my mind ever since. This pedal has been getting great reviews on Harmony Central--9.9 for sound quality out of 22 reviews is pretty darn good.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Xotic/BB+Preamp/10/1

Vintage Guitar mag review: http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/xotic/effects/vgreview/index.html

Caine said... I'd like to pick up a Cusack Sreamer or Sparkle Drive later this summer and try one of those also.

You are on to it there bro.

Khing

Eureka!

Well, I'm not qoing to throw away my tube screamer, but it's going to be collecting dust for a long time! I just got my Xotic BB Preamp and put that in front of my Lynch Box--checked out both my Deluxe and Brahma mods with it and WOW! I love this thing and the Brahma is now what I was dreaming it could be!! With the lynchbox settings as discussed earlier, I have my BB with gain at about 2 o'clock, treble 1-2 o' and bass at 3 o'. Now, that's just messing with it for a few minutes, but it sounds pretty SWEET!! I have the bass on my deluxe mod at like 2 (not o'clock--more like 8 o'clock) since it seems to have a lot of bottom--esp compared to the Brahma.

"I love this thing and the Brahma is now what I was dreaming it could be!!"

Sounds like you are happy with the whole thing now... thats great news for sure.

Khing

Right on Caine

I'm playing with the BB Preamp for about a month now and use it in front of my 1086,XTC and it kills!!! I lower the Gain & Bass on the mods and set the BB Gain at 11 o'clock,Bass 2,Vol 2 and Treble just a tad. It just sounds so smoooooth and solo's that your neighbours even mite enjoy.

The BB preamp is way better than any tube screamer I've tryed and is sounds good dirty or clean.Bye Bye to my TS 808.

Caine....How close can u get your 1086 to the Brahma? I really like to spring for the Brahma but I am digging the 1086.[/i][/b]

One thing for sure, the Brahma, unlike "Trix"... it's NOT for kids. It's definitely a grown-up's module and takes time to dial it in right and when it is, it's the ****...

Mike, the Brahma, well, it is definitely a different animal. I did check out my 1086 with the BB--turned the gain back a bit on the mod and stomped on the BB--it does smooth out that module nicely. I would say that you might do a side by side if you have a Randall rep near by. remember to turn the bass up on the Brahma and crank back the treble as mentioned earlier in this tread. Of course it might take some additional tweaking to get a fair side by side comparison. the 1086 does a nice plexi sound with the gain switch boost off and with the BB on but if you're thinking about getting a Brahma, but not sure, try to do a side by side if you can.

For the Brahma owners.... you should try running the following settings and see what you think.

Gain 10

Bass 10

Mid 10

Treble - to taste, start about 1 o'clock.

I believe this was the way it was designed to run.

Good thread. I've been using the AC Booster since it came out, the Xotic stuff is just great. what is it about the BB that makes the tone that much better? I'm really interested because I checking one out soon, maybe pick it up.
The Brahma to me sounds like a really good Plexi or a mod JCM800. Coincidently, I'm still waiting for a 1086 so I can compare A/B the two.The mids is really sweet on the Brahma, but yes, you do need to run a gain boost before it to get high gain tones. So it seems like you guys are having success with the BB?
Tung

camitchell said:
For the Brahma owners.... you should try running the following settings and see what you think.

Gain 10

Bass 10

Mid 10

Treble - to taste, start about 1 o'clock.

I believe this was the way it was designed to run.

Interesting. As mentioned in a thread awhile back, I run my Plexi module with bass, mids, treble, and gain all on 10 at times and it sounds great. Sounds like the Brahma and Plexi are somewhat similar so I guess that kinda makes sense.

Here is what I posted last time... "I run mine with the Treble at about 9 o:clock and the presence at around 12o:clock, bass all the way up and the mids somewhere between 12 and 3 o:clock the gain is between 2 and 3 o:clock"

I used the Brahma at a rehersal Friday night and found it was not cutting thru the mix the way I like it to. It had a small sound... not a thin sound but a small sound. I adjusted the gain to max, kept the bass max and run the mids a 2 o:clock and the trble at 12 o:clock with my PRS CE22 with Dragon II pups I had the brite switch on. These settings really gave me a bang on classic rock early metal tone. I am finding that the Brahma loves a kick in the shorts because when I step on the GTO it's PFM.

Khing

Just got my Brahma yesterday! Setting are Gain-4'clock,B-full,M-2,T-9,level at 11. The Xotic BB preamp really pushes the Brahma very well-Like someone said before from Zepp to Zakk.

I A/Bin' the Brahma/1086- Brahma has better Marshall mids... which I like.

Tung-if you are looking to add more muscule to your sound without the color I say try the BB.It even smooth out my XTC :)

I'm running my Brahma similar to what Khing had posted. I had posted George Lynch's Brahma settings earlier in the thread and I've found that I like those settings except for the treble--had to cut back to 9-10 o'clock. I wish the Brahma had a little more bottom. I wonder if there is a way to mod it for more bottom? I have 8 other modules and I've found that they all have a lot more bottom then the Brahma.

well,i got another chance,today,to finally really crank up the Brahma module...and that IS where it "comes to life"...and when it does,it outdoes the Plexi module for classic plexi tone.i do agree that it could use a little more bottom end thump,but the tone is very,very CLEAR,and,as mentioned earlier,"vowel-like"......real sweet,man!!! i had a/b'd,back & forth,between the Plexi & Brahma modules and,no matter how much i tweaked the Plexi,i could,hands-down,claim that the Brahma was the clear winner.the Plexi module is a great module,but there's still a noticeable difference in QUALITY of the tone that comes from the Brahma...when it's cranked hard!!! ...cant even imagine how much nicer it must sound when pushed by a tube screamer,of sorts!!!

I believe that the Brahma sacrafices bottom for clarity. It's an excellent sounding "plexi" there is no doubt about that. Cranked it has a life of it's own with a real organic live "room full or electricity sound" it should be called the Holy Grail... LOL. On the weekend I used it to dial in bang on cranked Funk 49 tones and found it very inspirational.

Khing

mike said:
I A/Bin' the Brahma/1086- Brahma has better Marshall mids... which I like.

Tung-if you are looking to add more muscule to your sound without the color I say try the BB.It even smooth out my XTC :)

Yes, muscle up the tone is always desirable, especially with some of these modules. Thanks for the tip, bro.
BTW I actually tried out your Brahma couple days before you picked it up :lol: don't worry , I was gentle with it, a real tasteful tone in the mids, lacking botttom but I think it makes up for it with a real sweet bite in the mids.

Has anyone tried tweeking the Density for just the Brahma. In general I keep mine a 12 o:clocl but at 3 o:clock there is some noticable difference.

Khing

i usually have my "density" knob set around the 2 o' clock position...seems to give my tone the best low-end "thump".

Latest posts