Brahma Module..."Tried it/Played it" thread!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys,khingpynn & caine,in particular,since you've each got the Brahma modules...i've got a couple of questions to ask.i just played a Brahma again today,and noticed two interesting things about it...first,the one that i was looking at had Tung-Sol preamp tubes in it and,second,there is a wild arrangement on the "C3" capacitor.it appears that there are two capacitors & two diodes,all soldered together in a series-chain,coming off the circuit board(sorta/kinda like an "upsidedown" letter "U").do you guys have the same thing on your modules,as well,along with Tung Sol tubes??? if anyone can post a photo of their Brahma module,looking down at the circuit board,that would be great??? thanks...

I'm just gonna cut in on this and say that the first batch of BRMA's were made w/ Tung-Sols. Also, the little "u-shaped" contraption is what gives the Brama it's tone. I'm sure Pete will have it figured out in a matter of moments as far as what components were used to do what we do.

chasing shadows said:
what bb pedal are you guys talking about??

Xotic BB pedal. Check out their site. Great pedals, very transparent and true by-pass. I use the AC Booster, it's a great OD pedal to push the front of your amp.

goldwing68nv... here are the pics...

The heart and soul of the Brahma
PhotographsAug1007130.jpg

Mine came with these Tung Sol tubes
PhotographsAug1007133.jpg

Tung... where did you get your Xotic AC from. There is no one in Calgary that carries them as far as I know.
I'm looking for the "BB"boost... but I'd really like to give a few of their pedals a try.

Khing

khingpynn said:
Tung... where did you get your Xotic AC from. There is no one in Calgary that carries them as far as I know.
I'm looking for the "BB"boost... but I'd really like to give a few of their pedals a try.

Khing

Songbird in Toronto carry the full line of Xotic pedals. When they first came out 3 years ago, I paid $300 CDN plus tax for my AC. Now with the exchange rate, they have gone down to about $230 CDN.
I've played all their OD pedals. The AC gives you a distortion that's similar to a good Tubescreamer, nice bite like a Larry Carlton/Robben Ford type thing.\
The RC has less gain, works great as a boost if you just want that extra push on the amp gain channel. A friend of mine have it on in his rig all the time.
The BB I haven't played because they sold it :evil:
You should give them a call, you can get it ship to you, it'll definitely be cheaper than going through the U.S. Ask for Andrew, tell him I sent you.
Tung

I have the BB Preamp. Bought it off eBay like I do a lot of my gear. I was impressed with an Andy Timmons demonstration of the pedal I saw on Youtube several months ago and probably would not have sought it out if I had not seen that video. It has a smoother, fuller, more natural tone then a tube screamer and has separate treble and bass controls which is much better then just the one "tone" control on a tube screamer... Very nice pedal. It's not a super high gain pedal but it has enough to do the job--especially if you are pushing something like the Brahma module.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiW22O914Cg

hey,thanks for the nice "heart & soul" photo,khingpynn! that's her secret "G" spot,alright...LOL! i've got the Tung-Sol tubes also...it's the clarity of this module and the nicely-tweaked mids that i love about it! real sweet...

Tung... thanks for the heads up I'm gonna contact them today.

goldwing68nv... lol the G spot indeed... the Brahma is a really cool preamp it sees a lot of time on my end. If I need to push it I currently hit it with a Soldano Supercharger GTO. It gives it an very EQ transprent boost of smooth Soldano gain.

Caine... I'm not the biggest fan of Tube Screamers... I like the grind and boost but not the EQ tweek they offer. I saw the Andy Timmons and Greg Howe's "BB"vids on youtube plus what I hear on forums from players I know and like. Thats how I got onto the Xotic "BB".
Thanks for the feedback as I'm mainly looking for a warm boost for the Brahma.

Khing

I just ordered a Cusack Screamer - I figure I'll start pushing my Brahma LB with what George does. Anyone try the Cusack?

khingpynn said:
not me but I
m hearing it's very cool... I'm looking for something other than the tube screamer voicing...

Craig, you should really give the Xotic stuff a try. I love them for OD and boost. I also like the Zakk Wylde MXR Distortion pedal, it has a pretty cool gain as well, and it's cheaper now than when it first came out

Tung... I've tried the ZW overdrive... lots of gain and a nice upper mid EQ boost. The YJM DOD overdrive is very similar but warmer.
I'm looking forward to trying an Xotic but man they are hard to find around here. I need someone locally who has one.

I'd like to try a few different ones to see which one's for me... so far from the stuff I've heard it's a BB but ya never no until you got one under your fingers.

Khing

I use an Xotic BB, and sometimes my Eternity to blow into the Brama and it definately screams that way, but still keeps it's open characteristics, not compressed with either at all.

As a new owner of a Mr. Scary mod, I have to say...WOW!! I hope all the Lynch mods are so dead on.

I would like to have the Brahma, but I can never crank my amp up. Oh well. Next up....1086.

I would like to have the Brahma, but I can never crank my amp up. Oh well. Next up....1086

What amp are you using FJ?

The level control on the Brahma like all other Randall mods that I know of has a level dial. Like on an effects pedal.
You can dime you power amp and run the level to desired volumn.
No worries about having to crank a 100 watt tube head like the old days. Just dial in and set the volumn the way you like it. Ofcoarse things allways sound better loud but for when it's no practicle the mod level rules.
I basically run my amp as if it were on about 3-4 on the master. Thats plenty loud for my applications. I actually have the master set to about 7.
Should also mention that eventhough the volumn is attenuated the head is still working like it's master suggests.

The MTS stuff ROCKS!

Hope this helps ya bro.

Craig

Latest posts