Chupacabra - choose knobs for brand new modification

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which knobs fits better to Chupacabra module?

• 1. classic black pointers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. creme pointers

• 3. small black fluted knobs

• 4. black Obelisk knobs

• 5. white pointer knobs

• 6. fluted with chrome tops

• 7. black dome knobs

• 8. chrome dome knobs

• Total voters

salvation

Reaction score
I deicided to do poll on MTS forum and design of Chupacabra needs to be finished "with a little help from my friends".
Module has Noise gate and three 3 position switches.
CLAWS changes gain structure: Heavy crunch - Hi gain - Extra higain)
GROWL changes upper mids - from left to right : Classic (marshallesque mids), open (less mids, similar voicing to some Engl amps), Thick (Rectoish growling mids)
Design is as usually work of Joris aka m0jo and mix of our ideas.
I would like to ask you all, guys on the forum, to help me choose the best knobs for this module.
Remember it is really high gain module, upgraded my 1666 mod, expanded its versatility and tuned into perfection.
So, look at the pictures and please POLL:
here is "naked Chupacabra module"
chupa_naked.JPG

and here is option 1 - classic black pointers:
chupa_blk_pointer.JPG

option 2 - creme pointers:
chupa_crm_pointer.JPG

option 3 - black fluted knobs:
chupa_fluted.JPG

option 4: Obelisk knobs. I personally like them a lot, cool looking, easy to dial, uncommon:
chupa_obelisk.JPG

option 5 - white pointers (on the photo they look similar to creme pointers before)
chupa_wht_pointer.JPG

option 6 - fluted knobs with chrome tops. The same I used on MarkUs module.
chupa_fluted_chrome.JPG

option 7: black dome knobs - little more expensive and more heavyweight, classic, for me it reminds Mesa Recto.
chupa_blk_dome.JPG

option 8: chrome dome knobs. The same as above, but in bright chrome:
chupa_chrome_dome.JPG

Included details of less common knobs, to help your imagination:
Obelisk detail:
obelisk_detail.JPG

Fluted with chrome top:
fluted_chrome_detail.JPG

Before I saw the pics with the different knobs, I was thinking black dome knobs all the way. But, after seeing the pics, I think the chrome dome knobs really fit well. They accent the lettering on the module and really make it pop. I want this module!

I'd say the practical option: white pointers, also pulls out the lettering like the chromes but better.

The designer's option: black domes, it matches the evil-ness I was trying to pull off. :twisted:
Chrome domes also look nice .. but... less evil!

m0jo said:
I'd say the practical option: white pointers, also pulls out the lettering like the chromes but better.

The designer's option: black domes, it matches the evil-ness I was trying to pull off. :twisted:

That's what I was thinking when I saw the module without the knobs on - black domes all the way. But seeing them on the module makes it look insect-like to me, and that threw it off IMO. I think the chrome domes look tough, but really match with the lettering. After the chrome domes, I would have chosen the MarkUS knobs for practicality, while still having the practical ties of being able to more clearly see position and whatnot.

walshinator666 said:
I also picked the chrome domes.Anthony told me this is my modual I believe i'm the first :twisted:

Lucky :wink:

If Antonin doesn't have time to post clips, the great and terrible responsibility will fall to you, my man!

love the look...can't wait to hear it. i have always wanted the 1666...glad i waited...now i can get the new and improved beast :twisted: this and the mash all are at the top of my mod list. just need the money.

I chose the markus style knobs, but i also like the obelisk and chrome domes. classic black pointers look good too. (i am very indecisive).

rhequiem said:
m0jo said:

That's what I was thinking when I saw the module without the knobs on - black domes all the way. But seeing them on the module makes it look insect-like to me, and that threw it off IMO. I think the chrome domes look tough, but really match with the lettering. After the chrome domes, I would have chosen the MarkUS knobs for practicality, while still having the practical ties of being able to more clearly see position and whatnot.
I don't think it looks insect-like at all. Also the background is much more red than it looks on this picture.
(Anthony will have to say how much since I've only seen this design on screen and from my own printer).

On practicality: I personally barely look at my knobs to see the settings, I tweak by ear.
And the moments that I do want to remember them I'm not on a smoky dark stage so I can easily spot them. ;)
So for me it's not a big deal if the marker isn't that visible, of course that's a personal thing so don't get dragged into it by others!

m0jo said:
rhequiem said:
m0jo said:

I don't think it looks insect-like at all. Also the background is much more red than it looks on this picture.
(Anthony will have to say how much since I've only seen this design on screen and from my own printer).

On practicality: I personally barely look at my knobs to see the settings, I tweak by ear.
And the moments that I do want to remember them I'm not on a smoky dark stage so I can easily spot them. ;)
So for me it's not a big deal if the marker isn't that visible, of course that's a personal thing so don't get dragged into it by others!

I don't mean that the faceplate looks insect-like, but that the black dome knobs look like spider eyes on that module, for some reason. Kinda creepy hehe

rhequiem said:
I don't mean that the faceplate looks insect-like, but that the black dome knobs look like spider eyes on that module, for some reason. Kinda creepy hehe
Wow! I just spotted that now!
It's because of the background.. it really comes alive haha

That's actually pretty awesome, since the Chupacabra is a monster and all ;)

Nightdare said:
Obelisks look pretty radical, and fit the faceplate very wel
Disagree. They look very classic, not radical at all to me.
The fact that they're not widely used is not a reason on itself to use them. ;)

Anthony as he said likes these .. as you can see.. I don't! :lol:

They can work on certain designs, but I feel this is not one of them.
There's no angryness, evilness, toughness, none of the buzzwords for this module apply to those knobs.

My personal opinion of course.. many will disagree, including the big chief. :)

Let me suggest:
option 7: black dome knobs - little more expensive and more heavyweight, classic, for me it reminds Mesa Recto.
But you MUST find a way to put red dots on those knobs. For 2 reasons..
1) makes it easier to see whats going on in a dark stage area.. and
2) The Chupracabra has bright red eyes..anyone who sees one up close remarks how the animals looked right thru them with its bright RED eyes.
Go for it Salvation!

PS: I think you had knobs like this in the past..maybe on the black mamba or similar module. btw: the mamba and chupra are both reptilian!