Drop D, C#: Whats the best gauge of strings??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GtrGeorge! said:
JadedFaith,
its amazing the variations going on...
and while on the topic of string tension...maybe YOU know the answer to this puzzle Ive had for 10 years now..
I have a Peavey guitar..its an Ecoustic , which is a solid body acoustic guitar they made for about 2 years. Its quite cool actually..has a piezo system on it..wqorks well for faux acoustic stuff..but the tension is ridiculous. Its 25 1/2 scale and even with .09s on it..it fights like *****!
I tried Dean Markely Zebra strings (made acoustic electrics) made no difference..why is it so hard to bend notes on this guitar (and play chords for any length of time?? I have other 25 1/2 scale and .09 on em..and its NOT like this..any suggestion why the tension is so nasty on this guitar?
GtrGeorge
Sounds like it could just be that particular guitar. We see well over 100 guitars a month in our guitar shops in both stores. Occasionally you will just get a dog in with a neck that just can be made right no matter what you do to it. We actually received a $1700 custom bass in stock that had neck issues right out of the box. No matter what we did it wouldn't set up. One morning we came in to the shop to find the truss rod had actually snapped! Now we are stuck with an expensive "project guitar" we will probably build a custom neck for and try to get whatever we can for it. Fortunately the rest of the instrument is killer and worth salvaging.

So I would say try taking it to a trusted luthier and explain your situation. They will be able to give the best advice based on the instrument.

khingpynn said:
Use whats best for you... you will know only after you have tried whats out there... then make your choice... strings are not that expensive so go for it.

I agree. I personally use EB 10-52 for Standard and Half down tunings. However, I feel like if you're heading down that whole step and whole step-drop tuning road, you should look into getting into a heavier gauge string set. I notice a big difference in my low end tone when I use the 'Not Even Slinky' 12s on a Drop C guitar.

Experiment. It's not the string expense that sucks, its making the guitar playable while trying the bigger strings that's the hassle.

New strings are less than $10. Buy 3 packs, try them out, record with them, and you'll know which sounds best to your ears. Tone is completely subjective.

Yes,

I use .11 - .56 for metal down to D, and .10 - .52 everything else. I wouldn't go smaller than .52 for D or C#.

Good luck!

Experiment. It's not the string expense that sucks, its making the guitar playable while trying the bigger strings that's the hassle.

good point... most guitars come set up for 9's... intonation wise thats a simple fix... nut wise it could be more involved.
still though experimentation is the best way to know whats right.

I just started using Dunlop Heavy Core strings and I have 10's in E flat. I will try them in C# soon enough (my other most frequently used tuning), but they're supposedly capable of handling dropped B. I would, for the sake of keeping gauge low, try the 11-50 set for your dropped tunings. Should be great, especially since I had no problems with 10-52 in those tunings before I decided I wanted more tension for percussive, tight riffing.

I went from worshiping Alexi Laiho and Jeff Loomis to John Schaffer :p

Also, don't be fooled into thinking that string gauge will inhibit vibrato. Talk to Steve Ray Vaughn about that ;) It's all in technique and control.

Latest posts