Loving my new RM20BP and have some questions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube Head

Reaction score
Hi,

Ive searched the internet extensively and still have a few question for experienced RM20 owners.

1. The phase inverter socket is labelled 12ax7. Is it recommended and what would be the effect of putting a 12at7 in there?

2. Is the FX loop -10db for stomp boxes or +4 for rack units?

3. Ive seen the boost function described as being a tube boost. What tube is used for this?

4. What is the type of power is used to power the fan? If its 9V ac or DC can I power effects with it?

5. Can anyone explain the silent recording out. Where does it get the signal from. Is the Power amp shut of entirely when engaged.

Thanks,
Mike

Tube Head said:
Hi,

Ive searched the internet extensively and still have a few question for experienced RM20 owners.

1. The phase inverter socket is labelled 12ax7. Is it recommended and what would be the effect of putting a 12at7 in there?

2. Is the FX loop -10db for stomp boxes or +4 for rack units?

3. Ive seen the boost function described as being a tube boost. What tube is used for this?

4. What is the type of power is used to power the fan? If its 9V ac or DC can I power effects with it?

5. Can anyone explain the silent recording out. Where does it get the signal from. Is the Power amp shut of entirely when engaged.

Thanks,
Mike

1. I think a 12AT7 is safe. It would clear up the signal some before hitting the power tubes and give you more clarity and bite.

2. Line level.

3. I believe it's essentially maxing the master volume. Others may know better.

4. DC.

5. Preamps. The power section is still on, but according to Bruce Egnater there's a built-in dummy load when the Direct Out is engaged so that the power section doesn't fry.

1. The 12at7 seems like an obvious choice. Ill try it

3. I believe its the rm50 boost tat maxes the volume. My guess is that the fx loop tube (V2) is the tube boost. A 12at7 could be a good choice there too.

4. as anyone sucessfully powered fx from this?

5. So theoretical I could record the amp without power tubes?

Can anyone tell me if the boost is in fact a tube boost and what tube is used?

I think the "tube boost" you heard about is not tube generated. I have a RM22 so I am not sure about the RM20, but there are 2 boosts: gain and volume. The gain boost is more like a "clean boost" pedal in front of the amp. It is sending a boosted signal to V1 so maybe someone called it a "tube boost"?