New Clips: Salvation Stonerverb, SG MK22, SG Fisch!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my SG MK22, fresh off the mail truck! Now I just have to endure the rest of the workday before I can get home and spend the rest of my night enjoying some new tones. Plus, in the same box was my Diablo with Scott's latest revision. Can't wait!

HOOOOOLY ****, this thing sounds soooooo good! I am sitting here playing licks through it with a big stupid grin on my face! This is everything I hoped it would be and more!

Thanks to Disciple and his misfortune, sorry bro, I got my Fisch in the mail today at work. I hope to get home and have the same stupid grin on my face when i plug mine in.

As for Mike P's post on the FET power amp I have been posting a bit lately about using the power section of my Uberschall lately and Mike gave me a great idea to break out my old Carvin FET 450 power amp with the FIsch in my RM4. Will give that a try.

So is the Fisch what is commonly thought of as the go to module for the early alice in chains tones? I was under the impression that a modded 800 was used on that Facelift album. Also surprised to hear that Lynch recorded through one of those for the 2nd Lynch Box album?

Kapo_Polenton said:
So is the Fisch what is commonly thought of as the go to module for the early alice in chains tones? I was under the impression that a modded 800 was used on that Facelift album. Also surprised to hear that Lynch recorded through one of those for the 2nd Lynch Box album?

Lets be honest here, what amp hasn't been used on a Lynch recording? He probably used just about anything around the studio and stuff of his own. I thought he was using Soldano back then with modded Marshalls.

Sure likes his Marshall's.

http://georgelynch.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/george-lynch-his-guitars/sacredstudio.jpg

Lets be honest here, what amp hasn't been used on a Lynch recording? He probably used just about anything around the studio and stuff of his own. I thought he was using Soldano back then with modded Marshalls.

So true! I don't know why I even asked about Lynch... I think we cn safely bet Soldano and modded MArshalls were his go to and STILL are his go to. Now he's onto the Friedman amps but they are essentially a hotrodded Plexi/JMP anyway...

Friedman are by far the best Marshall amps I've ever played. Just amazing. But that's a lot of $ for a single channel. 2nd place would be the Cameron. A little less money and you get multiple channels. So until the day when I can afford and have space for multiple $3K amps, my MTS rig will do just fine. 8)

Kapo_Polenton said:

Facelift was a 1982 Reinhold Bogner modified JCM800, just after they gone from the JMP master volume to renaming the 2203/2204's to JCM. It doesn't matter much anyway because Reinhold made so many changes.

Dirt was the Fish with a MOSFET power amp coupled with a "First 500" Dual Rectifier, which was used mainly to fill out the bottom end.

And yes, the entire second Lynch Mob album was the Fish. George liked the Soldano amps and X88 preamp but only after they'd been modified by Reinhold. Which of course led to the Ecstasy head.

ibenhad said:
Sure likes his Marshall's.

http://georgelynch.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/george-lynch-his-guitars/sacredstudio.jpg

Most likely, those were all rentals.

And I don't know about you guys but I think Genz-Benz cabinets sound like *ss.

Yuck.

Kapo_Polenton said:
So true! I don't know why I even asked about Lynch... I think we cn safely bet Soldano and modded MArshalls were his go to and STILL are his go to.

His tone on the last Lynch Mod record, IMO, was his worst over the years. I don't know what he was using, but it was very undefined and fairly toneless. Nothing like the Wicked Sensation record, which were his best recorded tones IMO.

Kapo_Polenton said:
Now he's onto the Friedman amps but they are essentially a hotrodded Plexi/JMP anyway...

Dave builds them from the ground up and while they're based on the 1987, 1959 & 2204 heads, they're multi-channel and have different transformers. They're quite awesome sounding heads. He offers upgrades to the RM100 to get it closer to the Marsha because the BE & HBE don't sound exactly his amps.

Mike P I'm going to have to disagree. I think the Purple Plexi has been used on most of that stuff and from what I remember when an acquaintance of mine wanted to borrow my Marshall cabs for backline he has used lots of amps in the studio and would never just use one through an entire session. His Singer for a bit was also the acquaintances brother so I may have more of an insight into the background.

Here is a video of the first record and I think the purple Plexi is up high on the right and of course Soldano's everywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWntxpcq9FI

As for the second record I'm sure it was a plethora also. The Fish was probably in there somewhere. Not saying your wrong just not 100% correct about what was used.

Wish I had that purple plexi. George has owned many Marshall's over the years and even tried to steal one owned by Warren De'martini as did Jake E Lee. Everyone wanted that head. Anyways. It is what it is. George is the only one who knows what he uses and what mods are done or not.

OH YEAH!!! Now I remember why I was here. The Fisch... All I can say this is a good catch. I won't be doing the catch release program on this module.

ibenhad said:
Mike P I'm going to have to disagree. I think the Purple Plexi has been used on most of that stuff and from what I remember when an acquaintance of mine wanted to borrow my Marshall cabs for backline he has used lots of amps in the studio and would never just use one through an entire session. His Singer for a bit was also the acquaintances brother so I may have more of an insight into the background.

Well, you can disagree all you'd like but it doesn't make your assumption correct. :D

First off, a stock 4 input JMP head does not sound like the Purple Marshall that George used on Wicked Sensation. That's a modified head and it wasn't modified by Mike Soldano.

:wink:

Second, that Marshall was not used on the Lynch Mob album. George used the Fish exclusively on that album and it sounds exactly like a Fish on every single track. His tone does not vary from song to song and it's not a combination of amps. It's one of the first Fish preamps and IIRC, he used it with a VHT power amp.

I was told directly by George and his guitar tech at the time (can't remember his name, Latino dude) that he used it on every track and when I saw them live, he was using the same exact setup in 1992.

ibenhad said:
As for the second record I'm sure it was a plethora also. The Fish was probably in there somewhere. Not saying your wrong just not 100% correct about what was used.

Well, I'm saying that you're wrong. :D

I purchased a brand new Fish at the old Makin' Music in the Valley in early 1992. I know exactly what a Fish sounded like then and I know exactly what a Fish sounds like now. I have dozens of recordings that were extremely helpful when helping Scott to nail the sound of his Phish.

I can tell you without a doubt, George used the Fish exclusively.

ibenhad said:
Wish I had that purple plexi. George has owned many Marshall's over the years and even tried to steal one owned by Warren De'martini as did Jake E Lee. Everyone wanted that head. Anyways. It is what it is. George is the only one who knows what he uses and what mods are done or not.

I hate to bust your balls here but what you've stated has been published in Guitar World magazine over the years. Modified Plexi heads are nothing special these days, as guys like Friedman and Bogner have been building them for years on end. It's pretty easy to plug in a Floyd Rose Strat bodied guitar with a JB pickup in the bridge and any number of modified Marshall amps and get *that* tone.

I just got my updated Fisch back from Scott... WOW!!! It was a great module before, but this is a VERY nice improvement! The brown channel stays clear with the gain allllllll the wayyyyy up. The strato channel is super cool too... I'm gonna be logging a lot of hours on this baby!! 8) I had mine updated with the push-pull knob on the gain control... and I put white chickenhead knobs on it, like the real amp... soooo cool... :)

SALVAGED said:
I just got my updated Fisch back from Scott... WOW!!! It was a great module before, but this is a VERY nice improvement! The brown channel stays clear with the gain allllllll the wayyyyy up. The strato channel is super cool too... I'm gonna be logging a lot of hours on this baby!! 8) I had mine updated with the push-pull knob on the gain control... and I put white chickenhead knobs on it, like the real amp... soooo cool... :)

The white chickenheads rock! :D

Latest posts