NEW "Mesa DR mod" Sample Clips. (UPDATED 5-2-2011)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacredGroove

Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEW sample clips of my Mesa DR mod. This clip is Red channel only, and features both, low and high gain. The high gain is where I switched mics. EQ is the same for both.

Gear: ESP Serpent w/ Screamin'Demon pup, RM4, Uberkab V30 IR.

Settings:
Gain--7
Bass--6.5
Mids--5.5
Treble--7.5

1st clip uses an AKG C414
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10597021

2nd clip uses the ever popular SM57.
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10597026

Thanks! :)

Sounds great to me. I see you didnt have to crank the bass to get the right chunk. Thought the gain was dead on. Plenty of juice but still controlled. Well done!

Whoopysnorp said:
**** dude, sounds killer!

Thanks a lot! I've pulled the mp3 to redo it. The conversion was totally inaccurate and didn't sound nearly as clear as the original. Something weird is going on with my software, otherwise, I would've had it converted and fixed by now.

Thanks for checking in!

Be back shortly, I hope! :wink:

Scott's work is the ****...This module is no exception from what I can hear...I appreciate that he focuses in on a make and model rather than a general tone over the years...This one sounds like a cool one for sure...My donor is en route.... :)

Sounds really good,a little more of a vintage flavor than I would expect for a Recto though....

alowerdeep said:
Sounds really good,a little more of a vintage flavor than I would expect for a Recto though....
Same here. I believe Mike P said he'd asked for it to be more like the older Recto's ;) So that feeling would be correct.

I'm missing some of that fizz of the modern Recto tones. I like that to some degree (some prescence)
Scott, is that brought back by the bright switch?

BTW:
What IR is this? Recabinet 3?

m0jo said:
Same here. I believe Mike P said he'd asked for it to be more like the older Recto's ;) So that feeling would be correct.

I'm missing some of that fizz of the modern Recto tones.

BTW:

The high end is missing because of the clip.
IR is Bogner Uberkab V30 w/ Neumann U87 3" off the cap, by Redwirez.

alowerdeep said:

The whole clip is missing the crispy high end, so everything is darker and a little dull. The actual clip is brighter and better, but something is happening to my mixdowns when I play them outside of my DAW.

SacredGroove said:
m0jo said:

I'm missing some of that fizz of the modern Recto tones.

BTW:

The high end is missing because of the clip.
IR is Bogner Uberkab V30 w/ Neumann U87 3" off the cap, by Redwirez.

alowerdeep said:

The whole clip is missing the crispy high end, so everything is darker and a little dull. The actual clip is brighter and better, but something is happening to my mixdowns when I play them outside of my DAW.
I checked the downloaded file, it is 128kbps ;)
Check your MP3 export settings.

m0jo said:

That sample rate is probably standard for free soundclick downloads. I convert all of my mp3s to 320kbps. It's weird issue that I haven't solved yet. :wink:

I am going to try and fix the problem tonight. :D

SacredGroove said:
m0jo said:

That sample rate is probably standard for free soundclick downloads. I convert all of my mp3s to 320kbps. It's weird issue that I haven't solved yet. :wink:

I am going to try and fix the problem tonight. :D
It seems you're right.
Good luck then ;)

SacredGroove said:
BigBrewtus said:
Sounds great to me. I see you didnt have to crank the bass to get the right chunk. Thought the gain was dead on. Plenty of juice but still controlled. Well done!

Thanks! I may repost the original just to have something here.
Yeah I think the first clip sounded more of the modern use of a DR. The second definitly had more of the older DR use of tone. Or fizz as referred to earlier. :) I just noticed the pickups used and see why you didnt have the bass and mids up so high. Nice job SG!

I'm thinking I am just not a Mesa guy. It sounded fine. It sounded heavy without being muddy, but just not my thing.

Latest posts