New MTS manufacturer!?!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
m0jo said:
About "the reveal" from nlstudio .. right. Have fun with that. I don't appreciate it to be honest.
The things you describe don't happen here, or are misunderstandings (it's clear you haven't read Mike P's retorts in those threads). Yes *gasp* my english is good enough to discern that at least 2 of those comments concern him and both are irrelevant because those topics have worked themselves out without this kind of useless sarcasm.

They didn't used to happen here, but it would be a stretch to say they haven't as of late. That was exactly what I was alluding to in my earlier posts. It isn't just my own opinion either. This has been discussed in private via PM and email more and more lately, so it isn't just one or two folks taking note.

nlstudio said:
Thanks mojo for asking the reason for the post and trying to get the thread back on track. I was beginning to think it was permanently hijacked. Obviously, I?m not ready to be a writer for Jay Leno because, as they say, ?if you have to explain a joke maybe it wasn?t all that funny to begin with!? It was just my modest attempt at satire. The company MonoTone is, fortunately, not real. Unfortunately, perhaps, the spirit of MonoTone is alive and well on this forum. Maybe I was too subtle, but I thought some of the attitudes and characters in the story might be familiar and bring a chuckle or two of recognition. So, without naming names or getting into a pi$$ing contest, just let me say this?
? When someone posts ?I asked famous modder A-Mod if his module XYZ could have more gain and he said ?it doesn?t need it? ?, think ?MonoTone?.
? When eager posters say they like the new clip of module ABC?s clean mode and would like to hear how gainy the dirty mode gets and one of the resident experts criticizes them for wanting higher gain when they should be satisfied with the clean mode because it gets ?great Cream and Hendrix tones?, maybe you can have a laugh and say to yourself ?hey, that sounds like the tone czar from MonoTone!?.
? Or, if someone tries to say their opinion is superior to yours because they have better, more expensive, equipment, you?ll remember the tone czar and think ?yeah, right?.
? When someone says module X sounds like crap because it?s not their thing (even if it wasn?t designed for their style of music to begin with), think ?MonoTone?.

The bottom line for me is this. Tone is totally subjective. Just like one man?s ?babe? is another man?s ?dog?, one man?s grail tone is another?s garbage tone. I would personally find comments more interesting and helpful if they went something like ?You know, that module just doesn?t do it for me because I?m hearing this nasty hashy kind of distortion in the lower frequencies. Is that what it really sounds like that in the room? Have you tried doing this?? instead of ?that?s absolutely the worst thing I?ve heard and I ought to know because?blah, blah, blah?. In other words, for me this forum is about the interest we all share in the quest for tone, our own tone, specifically through the use of MTS modules. And, the journey to get there, along with the camaraderie of this group, is a big part of the fun. There?s a lot of enthusiasm and expertise in this group and it?s great when it?s shared in a productive way. It becomes very trite and boring for me when it?s about forcing opinions or stroking our own egos.

So, was the original post a bit over the top? Yup. Just using absurdity to point out absurdity. No offense intended (well, maybe a little :wink: ). Thanks for listening. ? Matt

Nice, makes sense to me 8)

Jaded Faith said:
It is really beginning to cast a shadow on open discussions and dilutes the honest and educational experience this forum once provided with obviously biased opinions.

Eventually that leads to a decline in interest to contribute quality information, engaging in open discussions and posting of clips.

These two statements are direct contradictions: If giving an opinion, whether it be popular or unpopular, "casts a shadow on open discussions", how "open" is the discussion?

nlstudio said:
Thanks mojo for asking the reason for the post and trying to get the thread back on track. I was beginning to think it was permanently hijacked. Obviously, I?m not ready to be a writer for Jay Leno because, as they say, ?if you have to explain a joke maybe it wasn?t all that funny to begin with!? It was just my modest attempt at satire. The company MonoTone is, fortunately, not real. Unfortunately, perhaps, the spirit of MonoTone is alive and well on this forum. Maybe I was too subtle, but I thought some of the attitudes and characters in the story might be familiar and bring a chuckle or two of recognition. So, without naming names or getting into a pi$$ing contest, just let me say this?
? When someone posts ?I asked famous modder A-Mod if his module XYZ could have more gain and he said ?it doesn?t need it? ?, think ?MonoTone?.
? When eager posters say they like the new clip of module ABC?s clean mode and would like to hear how gainy the dirty mode gets and one of the resident experts criticizes them for wanting higher gain when they should be satisfied with the clean mode because it gets ?great Cream and Hendrix tones?, maybe you can have a laugh and say to yourself ?hey, that sounds like the tone czar from MonoTone!?.
? Or, if someone tries to say their opinion is superior to yours because they have better, more expensive, equipment, you?ll remember the tone czar and think ?yeah, right?.
? When someone says module X sounds like crap because it?s not their thing (even if it wasn?t designed for their style of music to begin with), think ?MonoTone?.

The bottom line for me is this. Tone is totally subjective. Just like one man?s ?babe? is another man?s ?dog?, one man?s grail tone is another?s garbage tone. I would personally find comments more interesting and helpful if they went something like ?You know, that module just doesn?t do it for me because I?m hearing this nasty hashy kind of distortion in the lower frequencies. Is that what it really sounds like that in the room? Have you tried doing this?? instead of ?that?s absolutely the worst thing I?ve heard and I ought to know because?blah, blah, blah?. In other words, for me this forum is about the interest we all share in the quest for tone, our own tone, specifically through the use of MTS modules. And, the journey to get there, along with the camaraderie of this group, is a big part of the fun. There?s a lot of enthusiasm and expertise in this group and it?s great when it?s shared in a productive way. It becomes very trite and boring for me when it?s about forcing opinions or stroking our own egos.

So, was the original post a bit over the top? Yup. Just using absurdity to point out absurdity. No offense intended (well, maybe a little :wink: ). Thanks for listening. ? Matt

So, Matt, your post and this thread were some sort of dig at me?

Nice use of your time there, Buddy.

:roll:

Mike P said:
These two statements are direct contradictions: If giving an opinion, whether it be popular or unpopular, "casts a shadow on open discussions", how "open" is the discussion?

Approach is everything. Sometimes personalites clash... it just happens. I've always found the "humble/light-hearted/helpful/open-minded" approach works best... people tend to lower their guard & listen better, when they're talked to kindly... but what do I know?! :lol: I only know what I think I know, right? :lol:

Mike P said:
...some sort of dig at me?

I don't know if it was directly aimed at you or not... but just from lurking on the forum a lot, several personalities came to my mind...??

SALVAGED said:
Mike P said:

Approach is everything. Sometimes personalites clash... it just happens. I've always found the "humble/light-hearted/helpful/open-minded" approach works best... people tend to lower their guard & listen better, when they're talked to kindly... but what do I know?! :lol: I only know what I think I know, right? :lol:

No, you're right. Being courteous is always the best course of action. But that said, even with the best intentions, problems can arise because we're unable to hear inflections in someone's voice or the look in their eye, etc. Sometimes, things are lost in translation.

Then again, sometimes they're not. ;)

Mike P said:
But that said, even with the best intentions, problems can arise because we're unable to hear inflections in someone's voice or the look in their eye, etc. Sometimes, things are lost in translation.

The wonderful world of the internet & instant communication... :lol:

Internet communication is so open to interpretation and influenced by so many things...It's easy to fly off the handle for something that was posted with no malice...I know this from personal experience... :wink:

There are some wise posters who exercise a waiting period before posting and that is not only smart and polite but helps becoming part of the "arguing" threads...

Maybe someday I can be among those wise men and women...

It's a fine line because passion also makes these threads interesting and alive...Music and discussions about music have always revved me up as it grabs a spot in my heart immediately...

In the end, this is a forum of good people who are simply smarter than all other musicians because we have MTS! Go us! :D

Mike P said:
Mattfig said:
SacredGroove said:
Go TIGERS! :)

And, it's nice to be able to add - GO LIONS!!!

It's shaping up to be the best Thanksgiving game ever!

Indeed it is! As a lifetime Lions fan I gotta say that I'm already happy with this season - even if we start becoming the "real" Lions again... :lol:

Last Monday, Detroit was as alive as I have ever seen it....Tigers in the playoffs and playing at Comerica Park - then right next door was the Lions on Monday Night Football...I wish it would look like that more...

This thread has been hijacked SO MANY TIMES!!! AHHHHHH!!! I want that freakin' Mono-800 module!!!!!

Mattfig said:
Mike P said:
Mattfig said:
SacredGroove said:
Go TIGERS! :)

And, it's nice to be able to add - GO LIONS!!!

It's shaping up to be the best Thanksgiving game ever!

Indeed it is! As a lifetime Lions fan I gotta say that I'm already happy with this season - even if we start becoming the "real" Lions again... :lol:

Last Monday, Detroit was as alive as I have ever seen it....Tigers in the playoffs and playing at Comerica Park - then right next door was the Lions on Monday Night Football...I wish it would look like that more...

With the team that Martin Mayhew and Jim Schwartz have assembled, I'll be surprised if the Lions aren't consistent Super Bowl contenders for the next decade. Enjoy!

SALVAGED said:
This thread has been hijacked SO MANY TIMES!!! AHHHHHH!!! I want that freakin' Mono-800 module!!!!!

It has...And, for my part, sorry, but I don't think there's much else to add about Monotone at this point... 8) Unless you know of a new module they are working on? :D

Mattfig said:
Unless you know of a new module they are working on? :D

I think they're expanding... something about a "2Tone" line... Oh I sincerely hope they make a RectoVox... :shock:

Haha this thread really went haywire.
I like this.

Still disagree with the idea behind the topic, it seems only like way to start fires and claim it was already there. (kinda what almost happened here).
Anyway, maybe it's good to note that the way you write things influence the way it's read. I try to bring in enough nuance to avoid nastyness, but I'm sure that's not in a lot of peoples heads when they're just writing down their opinion.
So that's also your responcibility as a reader .. not flying off the handle, but seeing how some things might be just unluckily worded or timed.

Maybe the forum has gotten a bit darker over the decline of interest from Randall and by how their fading more and more.. I think we just need to hang in there, and make it clear to Egnater that they have a big and commited community here for their new stuff. Man I can't wait for that!!

Just wanted to take a minute to apologize to the group and especially to those who may have been offended. It was not my intention to start fires...poor judgement on my part in the way things were presented. Maybe this thread can die a slow death and we can get back to discussing modules/music/etc. As far as the many hijackings of this thread...I think you guys were probably doing this group a big favor by doing so!

On a side note, our local Fox affiliate is broadcasting today's Lions game instead of my beloved Packers (didn't make the wife too happy)...they called it "fan's choice". Says something for the Lions and the resilience and dedication of their fans after all those down years!

Latest posts