Top module that Rob should Create

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know Ty Tabor, but if it is the same Lab Series that BB King used for years, I thought those were solid state?
I also remember them being built primarily for jazz guys...

ricky said:
I don't know Ty Tabor, but if it is the same Lab Series that BB King used for years, I thought those were solid state?
You are correct, thus the need for an amp to study and tune against. The Solid State based tones are always an interpretation as close as possible.

For the record, Rob did a solid state mod of an old Dimebag amp that sounded really good...I miss that mod sometimes...It actually sounded solid state...And angry....

I'm still waiting for someone to desire a solid state bypass for their MTS...Oh wait, they already make the AxeFX...:p

ricky said:
Ty Tabor's sound on the first King's X albums was very unique, you might want to check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8LmDCdTLFI
He used a Fender "Elite" Strat which also had a lot to do with his tone. I believe he only used the Lab Series as a preamp, and ran through a tube power amp.

You are correct on all accounts. I was not intimately familiar with Ty or his rig, but Eric gave me a full schooling and even brought down an Elite Strat with the Lab combo for authenticity.

The story is that the secret of Ty's sound was so sought after he used to replace the logo on the amp with logos from other amps to throw people off the scent. Maybe you should put a fake faceplate on the module in honor of that, ha-ha!

howdy! been lurking here for a while, but this thread made me finally figure out how to join(my first board) I'm ready to "get in the game" - that is send some donors to rob. thanks to all for youir posts. they've been very helpful in figuring out what mods i want!
i'm a huge king's x fan, and i'm probably preachin to the choir, but i believe ty now (or recently) uses egnater modular stuff. isn't it ironic, don't ya think lol

brian said:
howdy! been lurking here for a while, but this thread made me finally figure out how to join(my first board) I'm ready to "get in the game" - that is send some donors to rob. thanks to all for youir posts. they've been very helpful in figuring out what mods i want!
i'm a huge king's x fan, and i'm probably preachin to the choir, but i believe ty now (or recently) uses egnater modular stuff. isn't it ironic, don't ya think lol
Brian,
Welcome to the family and I look forward to working with you! Shoot me an email at [email protected] and we can get you rolling.
Have a great holiday weekend,
Rob

Those are some nice tones on that Kings X tune! I can get that clean tone out of my VAI or SuperClean. The dirtier tones are beautiful. Almost like a solid state amp with a tube screamer or something. Did the Lab have the ability to get the overdriven tone by itself or did he use a pedal?

ricky said:
Those are some nice tones on that Kings X tune! I can get that clean tone out of my VAI or SuperClean. The dirtier tones are beautiful. Almost like a solid state amp with a tube screamer or something. Did the Lab have the ability to get the overdriven tone by itself or did he use a pedal?

The Lab L5, L7, L9 and L11 combos (same electronics, just different speakers) were master volume amps with two channels, one clean and one drive. They were non-switchable, though, so Ty would plug into the drive channel dialed in for his lead sound -- channel volume and mids cranked -- then back off the volume on his guitar for rhythm and clean sounds. He would also tweak a mid-boost on his guitar, an '83 Strat Elite. It had Alnico 2 pickups (bare covers, thought to be early single coil rails), a dummy coil for noise cancellation, a 50k audio taper volume pot, and a precursor of the boost in the Clapton signature Strat. The preamp applied a base level 6db boost to the pickups at all times, then a tone knob allowed you to roll in an additional 6db of mid boost roundabouts 200Hz on the fly. This gave the Strat a not-quite-single, not-quite-humbucker tone as well as further goosing the drive channel for leads.

The chances of getting all three sounds out of a single module are pretty low, even with a Strat Elite, so Rob may have to divvy them up between two modules like with the Carvin Legacy. I'm not much of a soloist, though, so I would be perfectly happy with a single module that nails the rhythm and clean sounds, then rely on a boost and/or eq pedal to get the rest of the way to that sweet, singing sustainy lead tone when/if I need it.

In fact, if I had to have two separate Lab mods, I would love for one to be tuned for the crispier rhythm/clean tones on the third KX album and the other to be tuned for the relatively thicker rhythm tones on the fourth KX album. (The same amp was used on both albums. I attribute the difference in tones to less mid boost on the Strat for #3 and a change from Crown power amps and Marshall cabs to Mesa power amps and cabs around the time of #4.) Call one the Golden Lab and the other the Black Lab. :D

And don't even get me started on the Mesa Dual Rec tones from the fifth album...

Fender Super-Sonic 22

Vintage channel contains pre-gain tone controls and two switchable voices

Burn channel contains dual gain controls and post-gain EQ

Voicing Switch (Normal/Fat)

this would be my next purchase for sure. in fact i am going to look for a donor

I have a pro sonic out in my garage. I bought it in the 90s. It is one of their hand wired boutique amps and has two gain knobs. Do you know if they are basically the same amp? You are right in that it is a killer amp. It has the calssic Fender clean sound and then it takes off into limitless possibilities. I guess they didn't sell too well and from what I've read, people could not get their heads around a Fender amp that could do the gain-y stuff. Let me know if you have one built and if they are the same amp as I would be on board for one also.

the super sonic 22 went to 6V6 tubes and has 3 12ax7 and 2 12at7, for the loop and reverb I suppose. The V custom may be voiced a bit hotter than the regular 22

the Pro was a higher output, no?, yours is a great amp. funny, I first heard of them by using Amplitube.

a mod of that could cover so much ground, add a footswitch on the front panel for channel switching and you've got something deep

Latest posts