What does the KT88 & E34L/EL34 mix sound like?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p4vl

Reaction score
I don't really crank amps loud enough for power tubes to be the source of gain in my sound. All the same, I had my Peavey XXX retubed with JJ KT77 and they are so meh in comparison to the JJ E34L's that were in there previously.

I've never played an amp with KT88's, they aren't exactly common in stock amps.

So I've noticed that some folks here have KT88 in v2 & 3 mixed with EL34/E34L's in V1 & 4. How does that sound?

I looked, couldn't really find any clips of this setup.

I'll post some clips for you tomorrow to hear. :)
I have some extra KT88s laying around and my RM100 is already loaded with EL34s.

That's how I set up, except I put the KT88s in 1 and 4...and the EL34s in 2 and 3. I sometimes trade out the 34's with 6L6s. It has a great thump bottom end grind under the typical growl of the EL34s.

I have that exact tube combo in my RM100 EL34L's in the middle two sockets and KT88's on the outside! I only have one module at the moment, a Voodoo UG Jose' and this combo is MEAN AS ALL F*CK! Nice Tight Bass and cut that is killer... She shakes the house! The Randall Warhead cab and its Vintage 30's doesn't hurt either :)