Which mods are the closest to the real thing?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
While many are close (and yes, I know there are other variables) which the closest to your ear? Since people like to use percentages, let's say 95% + accurate...

For me, it's gotta be the Salvation Stonerverb, Salvation Baseman, and the Friedman RSC Plexi. Those, to my ear, are literally indistinguishable from the real thing and I would argue better in some cases as quality control is better with the mods than the big amp manufacturers...I'm saying that these mods sound just like the best of each brand name amp I've played...

What about you guys?

I've never had much experience on any of the real amps after which my modules were designed. I demoed an XTC once, but that was a long time ago, and I've briefly played on a late '70s JMP master volume head. However, I can tell you that one of my favorite things to do is play along with Cardiacs' "Special Garage Concerts" vols. 1 and 2 albums using my MK22. I was at those shows, and lead guitarist Kavus Torabi was using a JMP master volume head--not sure if it was a 2203 or 2204. The MK22 sounds EXACTLY like the recorded tone.

Back in the day in Austin, it seemed like everyone was playing a 4X10 Bassman. I had a lot of experience with them. Believe it or not, I found that Rob's base mod on my stock tweed did it up right. The fad of the day was either an MXR micro amp or a tube screamer into the bassman. This one is spot on w/or w/o the pedals. It has the right amt of Fender warmth and enough grit when you want.

+1 on the stonerverb. The JF VHT came very very close to and old 50cl I had. My old self modded plexi also came really close to my buddies vintage plexi (thankfully without the volume). The grail module certainly nabbed the sound of a Tremoverb I used to own.

Well, the Salvo XTC was so close that it made me sell my Bogner head.

I've compared a Stonerverb to a real Rockerverb Mkii. It's not perfect, and doesn't have the air of the original, but is pretty darned close. I just wish it was squishier like the original.

I compared an early version Mash All to a real 70s Plexi head. They were VERY close, only the voicing being different (the Mash All had a touch more mid).

I compared an eggie twin to a vintage late 60s twin. They are pretty friggin close.

Finally is a Mark X from JF. While not able to compare directly, I used to own a Mark IV and it is very similar, but easier to tweak. I actually liked it better than my Mark IV

In the world of modded modules, you really can't go wrong. If they're not spot on, they're close enough. And by that I mean 95% there.

I have two:
1. SG diablo. Me and SG actually had a talk about this the other night. It is almost spot on with the "pre-500" rectos. All the modes, voiceings and tone controls are right on the money. My friend actually has a pre 500 recto and ruing this module thru my mesa 2:90 with the modern engaged it is crazy close. SG said that is what he was going for, not a moded or "better" version but spot on and he did it.
2. Salvation Terrier. I don't have a direct comparison but from the VHT/Fryette I have played it is pretty close. I had a GP3 preamp years ago and it seems to nail the tone I remember it and seems to respond just the way the preamp did from my recolection

I would be interested to hear them all side by side with the real amps,we often tend to fill in the things that are mssing becasue we want them to be so close or because we are so familiar with tones in our heads.Ive had alot of mods and while I liked most,I only found a few to be extremely close,the others approximated pretty well,but there were very noticeable differences,most noteable are the recto mods...they all sounded great,but none could replicate that recto thump/thickness like the real deal,though the mods were all cleaner overall and easier to dial in....Used to play with a band and their guitarist had a Recto,so I am very familiar with the tone....When I played a show using the Salvation DP,one of the guys in aother band that wants a recto said he liked it but to him it didnt sound like a recto,(I didnt tell him until after) and I've actually gotten feedback from non-mtser's on a few other mods and they would say not even close to them....lol......but I guess in the end all that matters is what the actual player thinks....

alowerdeep has a good point. I find most modded modules to be close but in a limited way. They seem to catch a certain part of the sound but not the full spectrum of the original. Not that this is bad in any way, but it is what it is.
BUT the love I showed for the diablo in my previous post, I stand by it totally. However it really only nailed the tone with the mesa power amp and only with the modern engaged. I would have loved to try it with a mesa 2:100 since that is supposed to be the rack version of the recto power section.
I always wonder if the modders only cloned a single channel of an amp if that would get them closer to the original. Cause almost all the modules come with plenty of bells and whistles. Which I totally love, but if they held back the versatility would that get them spot on?

I don't know anything about amp design, but it seems to me that the hardest thing would be to capture the characteristics imparted by the real amp's power section in the preamp circuit. I'm sure their options are limited there. If an amp's power section is what imparts the depth, chunk, or other signature characteristics (like with Diezels or Rectos) then the best a modder can probably do is use some tricks to emulate it in the preamp, no matter how many bells and whistles they do or don't add to the module.

yeah,I think that is the point of the modules,to get close and to have more tone shaping options that the real amps do...kind of a "I Like this tone,but think it would be cool if you could do this" approach....I mod stuff is very cool....I miss it sometimes.....If we do more shows involving traveling long distance I may sping for a modular rig again with a few of my favrite mods for ease of transport and great tone......they do cut very well and are very articulate....

Salvation: Stonerverb and Custom 3 get very close to the originals.

JF: EV Trilogy/ PV VIL nails a Peavey 5150

Voodoo plexi does a great non-cranked, vintage Marshall.

You are quite correct, and there's is no substitute for the rest of the chain (tube power amp, cab/speaker). MTS modules are merely the preamp portion, nothing more.

If looking to mimic the real thing either have a proper power amp for your modules using the proper power tubes, or use modeled power amp sims like the Two Notes Torpedo or Peavey ReValver (along with the proper cab/speaker etc).

Whoopysnorp said:
I don't know anything about amp design, but it seems to me that the hardest thing would be to capture the characteristics imparted by the real amp's power section in the preamp circuit. I'm sure their options are limited there. If an amp's power section is what imparts the depth, chunk, or other signature characteristics (like with Diezels or Rectos) then the best a modder can probably do is use some tricks to emulate it in the preamp, no matter how many bells and whistles they do or don't add to the module.

Latest posts