Which modules would be closest to a mesa studio pre

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a rack composed of a randall RM4, a mesa studio pre and an ADA MP-1. I was thinking of ditching the ADA and the Mesa in favour of a second RM4. It's just that the overdrive channel of the studio pre is very hard to beat. Incredibly thick and warm. Could anybody point me to an mts module that would be in the same "marky" ballpark?

Thanks

I have had the ultra but not the ultra lead. I use the studio pre mostly as a mid gain source rather than high gain. I don't know where I could try a ultra lead but would surely like to have a go at it.

I have had the ultra but not the ultra lead. I use the studio pre mostly as a mid gain source rather than high gain. I don't know where I could try a ultra lead but would surely like to have a go at it.

KH-2? That would be a big surprise as it's supposed to be Marshall inspired but why not!

I have the KH-1 and KH-3 and was planning to get the KH-2 anyway for a try

Steven Latch said:
KH-2? That would be a big surprise as it's supposed to be Marshall inspired but why not!

I have the KH-1 and KH-3 and was planning to get the KH-2 anyway for a try

Well, I owned a Mesa quad for a long time, and I've tried the KH2 a few times.

They were more similar than not. Similar tone.

I think the recto can get you there. Especially with the grail mod. If you are thinking dream theater, Metallica - Puppets, AJFA & Black Album, and LOG. The recto can deffinately get you there.

The Grail is the easy answer for a Mesa sound, but I wouldn't rule out a 1086 either. I have the regular Ultra and no, to me it's not Mesa. I haven't heard an Ultra Lead though.

Well I'm really not looking for a recto sound.

The studio pre at mid gain settings has an amazing vintage classic rock tone. Extremely thick and warm.

The recto , IMO, doesnt really totally nail "the real thing". Dual Rectifiers have hollow (not scooped) mids and no warmth what so ever. The recto module has some mid presense and wamth. This can be dialed in to the "mark/studio pre" territory. A modded Recto with "Orange" ch switch would be something you would want to check out.

Owned Mesa amps and pieces over the years. I actually sold my Triaxis and Studio Pre last year.
I have a Pete modded Ultra lead that can do similar tones to what I did with my TA and SP. The TA's graphic EQ (lack of a real one IOW) sucked IMO, but with the graphic EQ on the SP, I can cop similar tones with the 1086.

My Ultra Lead actually has a premium type Mesa 12AX7 type tube in V1 of the module. Tried other tubes, but always end up back with the Mesa tube in that socket. I prefer the darker side of Mesa; not Lonestar gain dark, but somewhere between that and IIc(+). I owned a Quad years ago (solid touring piece, survived years of road abuse), but been too long to compare by memory.

I received the KH-2 yesterday and I'm impressed!

So far I like all my randall modules but was never blown away by their versatility, they tended to be good at one particular sound (and then nothing wrong with with that since it's the whole concept).

But the KH-2's tone control are very sensitive. The middle and treble can get that marshally trashy tone especially with high gain. But I could dial quiet easily the 70's marshall meets mesa tone I was looking for.

The KH-2 fills the gap nicely. I has the marshally plexi bite of the brahma but in a smoother, fuller and less brighty way.

The Mesa is great on its own so it's not a "what's best" contest. But they get me in the same ballpark of sound and I would rather ditch the mesa from my rack and get another RM4 for an 8 modules rack. That's just what I will do.

Steven Latch said:
I received the KH-2 yesterday and I'm impressed!

So far I like all my randall modules but was never blown away by their versatility, they tended to be good at one particular sound (and then nothing wrong with with that since it's the whole concept).

But the KH-2's tone control are very sensitive. The middle and treble can get that marshally trashy tone especially with high gain. But I could dial quiet easily the 70's marshall meets mesa tone I was looking for.

The KH-2 fills the gap nicely. I has the marshally plexi bite of the brahma but in a smoother, fuller and less brighty way.

The Mesa is great on its own so it's not a "what's best" contest. But they get me in the same ballpark of sound and I would rather ditch the mesa from my rack and get another RM4 for an 8 modules rack. That's just what I will do.

I really like my KH2. I agree, it is very usable all throught the gain spectrum! turn the gain low, and it has a very nice lighter drive, but still retains that meaty sound, turn up the gain for a nice thick lead or drive. Just gotta watch the bass on that module, but I realy like the sound of that module.