Your amp - down to the nitty gritty

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slashnstrings

Reaction score
I find it getting hard to sift through all of the tubes questions and "what do you have in your amp information" So I thought maybe if we just compile it together it will cut down on threads(and yes I used the search :) ). So ladies and gentleman the nitty gritty only;
This is the Tube layout of my amp. (the tubes are labled as found here: http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=4324&highlight=schematics

All Jammed into a RM100 Lynch box
XTC(SOLD)
-V1 JJ/tesla ECC83S/12AX7
-V2 JJ/tesla ECC83S/12AX7

Blackface

SL+

Treadplate(JF mod)
-V1 Ruby 7025SS/12AX7
-V2 Orange 12AX7

V1C - INPUT - Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH Russia 07 03 Gold Pin
V6 - LOOP BUFFER- JJ/tesla ECC83S/12AX7
V5 - PHASE INVERTER - Sovtek 7025/12AX7WA Russia 06 10

Power Section(Right to left)
V1 - E34L
V2 - E34L
V3 - E34L
V4 - E34L

When using 16 Ohms for speakers I run my 2x12 Randall cab with Seventy 80's (these have a tighter sound for apartment jams)
When using 8 Ohms for speakers I run My 4x12 Mesa Cab with Vintage 30's(band practice and gigs)

Effects: BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i in the Series FX loop

theres the complete rundown on my amp, I'm curious to see what you have.

Thanks

I never looked that deeply....jus being honest.
but I dont use seventy-eighties..I use Celestion V30s.
GtrGeorge

Okay you insist:

Randall Lynch Box:

V1: JJ ECC83S (I had a Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+ and found it too bright)
V2: JJ ECC83S (loop)
V3: JAN GE 5751 (PI)

Power: Ruby =C= 6550s

KH1: JJ ECC83S and a used Brimar Mullard 12AX7

Deluxe: Telefunken 12AX7 and a Brimar Mullard 12AX7

JTM: JJ ECC83S

SL+: Penta 12AX7M and JJ ECC83S

Brahma: Tung Sol RI 12AX7 and a Marshall (white label) ECC83 -- Chinese

Mr. Scary: Penta 7025 and a JJ ECC83S

Grail: Ruby 12AX7A5 HG.

Speakers: 4 Celestion Greenbacks in Avatar Contemporary 212 cabs.

Sweet a fun thread!

RM100M Mesa Boogie 6L6s in all the tube slots.

1086: 12AX7 EH in both
XTC: Ruby 12AX7s in both
Blackface: 12AX7s EH in both
SL+: Ruby's
Ultra XL: ruby's
Modern: EH 12AX7s

4x12 Randall Cab loaded with Eminence Texas Heats Gigging
4x12 Marshall Cab loaded with Celestion GT75s Recording

Randall RM100 Combo 2x12 Celestion GT75s Gigging

Guitars: Wasburn Nuno, Dimarzio DeactivatorX
Edwards Les Paul Custom, EMG 81 85
ESP Eclipse, Seymour Duncan Blackouts
I wanna put a set of Eminence Governors in my Combo, but not sure yet? I heard they are the V30 killer....
CHEERS!

RM100M

Amp V1: JJ 12AX7 (switching to Tung Sol eventually)
FX Buffer: JJ 12AX7 (same)
PI: Jan Phillips 5751

Power Section
V1: SED =C= EL34
V2: Sovtek 5881/6L6GC
V3: Sovtek 5881/6L6GC
V4: SED =C= EL34

Soon to buy a full quad of Svetlana EL34's after hearing my friend's GT EL34 quad in it :D

Blackface
V1: JJ 12AX7 (soon to be Tung Sol 12AX7)
V2: JJ 12AX7 (soon to be Jan GE 5751)

Ultra Lead: Selling to a friend later and getting modded into GigMark, and it should have a Mesa high quality 12AX7 and Tung Sol in it, or maybe the Mesa and a Penta.

SL+
V1: Chinese Sino 12AX7 (soon to be Tung Sol 12AX7)
V2: Chinese Sino 12AX7 (soon to be Penta 12AX7)

Ultra XL
V1: JJ 12AX7
V2: EHX 12AX7

Vader 2x12, stock. Wanna get either a Marshall Vintage Modern cab, Framus Cobra cabinet, or make a custom cab with Eminence Private Jacks to run it through.

RM80

V1: Tungsol 12AX7
V2: EH 12AX7 (fx loop)
PI: JAN Phillips 5751

Power: Ruby 6550C's

1087 (earlier version of mod, when it was dubbed the "mailman mod.")
V1: Penta 12AX7M
V2: Tungsol 12AX7

Ultra Lead (will eventually be a Mark).
V1: EH 12AX7
V2: EH 12AX7

LoneClean (once Anthony is finished with it).
V1: JAN Phillips 5751
V2: Mullard 12AT7 (not sure if this will be the final placement...need to try it first).

Speakers: Celestion G12T-75 (x2)

Effects: NONE. I used to use an ISP, but now it serves no purpose since the switch to the JAN Phillips in the PI made it a lot quieter and clearer. I occasionally use a crybaby. I may get a reverb, delay, and chorus...but not anytime soon.

I am extremely satisfied with this setup. Ever since I switched the tubes (all of them) the amp has sounded 120% better than when i first got it last July. The JAN cleared up the noise drastically. The penta and tungsol in the 1087 sound incredible. What impresses me the most is how great the Ruby's sound. I was using JJ 6V6's b4...and it always felt as if it was missing something. Well the Ruby's in combination with the other tubes added that missing link.

Can't wait to get the Loneclean. I haven't been able to play a nice clean tone for about two or three months...but it will be worth the wait. I can't decide what my next mod will be. I really like the Mash-All, but the 1666 and Stonoverb are also great choices. I have been wanting a Jaded Faith Recto for a while...ever since i got to play a Mesa Single Rect. I also like his Tweed mod. So many great mods....but i don't have the money to get any of them. Some day...hopefully.

there we go, got you all working now, lol.

Now when you guys are talking about tones from your amp its a bit easier to match up what you saying with your tubes speakers and so on. plus i love information, hehe its a curse

Okay we've added FX to the list?

I use a Lexicon MX300 (for delay, reverb, chorus, phaser as well as for studio hardware plugins), and a dbx 166xl compressor/limiter/gate in the FX loop.

I've got at Peavey stereo EQ I've got to pull apart and replace the input and output jacks on it, then that can go in the rack.

In front of the amp: MXR M-108, Dano CC Vibe, Fulltone Octafuzz, Keeley Java Boost, Skreddy Screwdriver, Dano CC TOD1, Ibanez TS808RI, EHX Micro Q.

So the amp didn't eliminate the pedal board. The pedals are just some additional paint on the palette.

Ya i figured I'd put FX in there too to make it complete as possible.
I don't think anyone really eliminates effects completely or at least not forever. they eventually miss chorus at least, :) I know i need a chorus pedal soon, miss the thickness it gives.

RM100KH (?=can't remember)

V1 - EH?
V2 - EH?
PI - JanGE 5751

TS 6550's inside
JJEL34L's outside

Egnater single chan DLX
V1 - Ruby
V2 - Ruby

JF Brahma
V1 - Tung Sol
V2 - EH?

JF Mr Scary
V1 - JanGE 5751
V2 - EH?

KH1, KH2, KH3
V1 - Stock Ruby
V2 - Stock Ruby

Effects:
RP1000 4CM
MXR Micro amp --> CCDrive out front
CCTOD --> Tone Press in stomp loop

I rarely use the CCDrive or MXR. I might pull them out. I also very rarely use any effect except for delay. I do have the noise gate on slightly. To be honest, I could probably ditch all the pedals and use the RP1000 for everything. I just haven't really spent any time with it to set it up that way.

slashnstrings said:
Im assuming your running you RM100 at 50 watts right? only two tubes

I forgot to list the power tubes. I edited the original post. Thanks pointing that out.

Rm100 - Hey, ok I finally have tried enough different combinations to make a first post here:

V1 Input - 12Ax7wa - best so far - sounds awesome imo
V2 JJ stock
V3 Jan5751 - best so far *haven't tried anything else here as per reccomendations - far better than stock though

BlackFace
V1 + V2 - JJ Stock best so far - could be clearer but it's very rich, I plan on also getting this one modded/upgraded

* I have been finicky on these I tend to find a preffered combo, then end up switching back - I'd like to find a NOS stock for this duties, I think I'm going to try Jan 12ax7wa here

KH1
V1 + V2- EH12ax7 - best so far not entirely happy though, am continuing to

V1 + V2 Stock Eh12ax7 - nothing better yet, I'm satisfied atm

KH3 - Stock so far

/peace

Ok I'm not very impressed with my treadplate, and I think I'm down to it gotta be the tubes. anyone else have a good configuration with tubes in their treadplate.

I've tried
V1 Ruby 7025SS/12AX7
V2 Orange 12AX7

V1 JJ Tesla12AX7
V2 JJ TESLA 12AX7

V1 Ruby 7025SS/12AX7
V2 JJ Tesla 12AX7

and every configuration of these tubes listed about, just thought about Mesa 12AX7's i guess but would that make the difference. or is at all because of my E34L's? first post shows my amp layout to a "T"

I find it sounds weak and flat, almost like everything on the EQ is at 5.
seems to be lacking gain and bite. sorry i can't explain it better. But I usually get this stuff done myself and for some reason I can't crack this mod.

RM 100
Power tubes: 2 Svetlana EL34s, 2 Gold Lion KT88s
V1 - Vintage TungSol 7025
V2 - Raytheon 12ax7
PI - Sylvania 5751 black plate

Voodoo JMP Module
Voodoo Twin Module
ARS 12ax7s in both positions
(Voodoo does a great job testing tubes)

Gigmods SL+
V1 - Amperex Orange Globe 7025
Raytheon 12ax7 black plate

slashnstrings said:
Ok I'm not very impressed with my treadplate, and I think I'm down to it gotta be the tubes. anyone else have a good configuration with tubes in their treadplate.

I've tried
V1 Ruby 7025SS/12AX7
V2 Orange 12AX7

V1 JJ Tesla12AX7
V2 JJ TESLA 12AX7

V1 Ruby 7025SS/12AX7
V2 JJ Tesla 12AX7

and every configuration of these tubes listed about, just thought about Mesa 12AX7's i guess but would that make the difference. or is at all because of my E34L's? first post shows my amp layout to a "T"

I find it sounds weak and flat, almost like everything on the EQ is at 5.
seems to be lacking gain and bite. sorry i can't explain it better. But I usually get this stuff done myself and for some reason I can't crack this mod.
Here is my configuration:

V1: Penta 12AX7M
V2: Ruby 12AX7HG

I think it sounds pretty good with these tubes. I'm playing it through a RM80 with 6550C power tubes, a JAN 5751 in the PI, and a Tungol 12AX7 in the V1. Settings are typically like this:

Gain: max
Bass: 3 o'clock +
Mid: 3 o'clock -
Treble: max
Level: 9-11 o'clock
Bass Switch: Loose
Mid Switch: Orange

Latest posts