Boutique amp builder mods?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While on the subject of amps on RT, I'd love to see a Suhr/CAA OD100SE+ made into a module. The custom 3 doesn't quite do it and the closest I've come is a Suhr Riot pedal into a clean MTS mod.

I echo that sentiment! PT100 is killer too.

Kapo_Polenton said:
While on the subject of amps on RT, I'd love to see a Suhr/CAA OD100SE+ made into a module. The custom 3 doesn't quite do it and the closest I've come is a Suhr Riot pedal into a clean MTS mod.

I echo that sentiment! PT100 is killer too.

I find that the PT100 is more on the Marshall side of things and the OD100 is more on the 5150/ Ecstasy side . Both have a unique tone however that the MTS line hasn't captured yet. They also excel at cleans. I prefer the OD over the PT.

The Rossness said:
Both have a unique tone however that the MTS line hasn't captured yet.

This is why I brought this topic up, actually. I haven't got to verify through anything other than clips on the Internet, but I suspected this might be the case. I understand not wanting to step on other amp builder's and modder's toes, but it seems a shame (QQ hehe) that we can't have some of these tones exist in the MTS modder's lineups.

That said, I like that our modders have made a couple signature mods that aren't based on cloning what's already out there, but are their own creations. I need to make a point to try a Chupacabra and an XMG in the near future, and would love to see them able to create a few more sigs and to have us support them by trying them out.

Wow this thread went sideways for a bit there. I want to put in my $0.02

I think that the modified modules can't capture some amps. Your layout is limited to the layout of the module, and you can't do anything to V1, or the power section. I think that is OK. What I like about the MTS is that if the modules are relitively affordable, so you can try a lot of different ones to find what works for you. If you get a Bogner XTC you have that one version based on the revision you get. With the MTS system you can get a stock XTC, JF XTC, Salvation XTC, SG XTC etc, so you have a few options that sound close to an XTC. Which one sounds best will be different for each player.

I personally don't expect, or want modules to sound exactly like the original amps. There are many talented modders with great ears so I would greatly prefer their take on that tone. That way if you like how one modder take on an amp you will probably like their take on other amps because their own signature sound will still be there in the module. I am still quite new to the modded modules, but so far this is my take on things.

I am an electronics engineering technologist, but I haven't done work other than repairs on amps before, and I do know that 90% of amps have a layout that will work on the MTS modules, but some amps Mako, and Peters that I have seen in person have a very different layout, and won't work 100% on the modules. You can probably get close, but not 100%. Plus there are lots of guitarists who are not familiar with some of the smaller builders. I am sure that demand won't be high enough for a Peters, Mako, Splawn etc module to make it worth the effort of developing.

FWIW, I grabbed a Jaded Faith ODS and compared it to my Fuchs, and they are both equally good and very similar. The Dumble feel and controls are very unique, and both have that. Both are essentailly Dumble clones. So one way to look at it is the ODS is a Fuchs, Dumble, Two Rock, etc, depending on speakers and types of tubes used.

Speaking of demand, Anthony is asking this very question to his customers in regards to developing a Cameron CCV module. If you haven't heard of Cameron Amplification, I'd recommend checking them out. They are generally regarded as some of the finest modded Marshall amps around, and are quite expensive.

Here's a link to Salvation's Facebook, where you can voice your support if you'd like to see Anthony develop a module to tackle the Cameron CCV http://www.facebook.com/salvationmods

A few YouTube videos showing off the Cameron CCV-100 if you're curious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41nANYIVB6E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djBdmo7LonA

I've never owned or even heard a Cameron CCV in person, but I'd love to get my hands on a module that Anthony designed around this sound.

rhequiem said:
Speaking of demand, Anthony is asking this very question to his customers in regards to developing a Cameron CCV module. If you haven't heard of Cameron Amplification, I'd recommend checking them out. They are generally regarded as some of the finest modded Marshall amps around, and are quite expensive.

Here's a link to Salvation's Facebook, where you can voice your support if you'd like to see Anthony develop a module to tackle the Cameron CCV http://www.facebook.com/salvationmods

A few YouTube videos showing off the Cameron CCV-100 if you're curious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41nANYIVB6E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djBdmo7LonA

I've never owned or even heard a Cameron CCV in person, but I'd love to get my hands on a module that Anthony designed around this sound.

YES!! If he can capture the sound of this amp- Would be amazing and I would say it would generate some interest for sure!

LockStock said:
FWIW, I grabbed a Jaded Faith ODS and compared it to my Fuchs, and they are both equally good and very similar. The Dumble feel and controls are very unique, and both have that. Both are essentailly Dumble clones. So one way to look at it is the ODS is a Fuchs, Dumble, Two Rock, etc, depending on speakers and types of tubes used.
that's cool to hear.

I don't have anything to directly compare the ODS to - I just like how it sounds :)

Those Cameron CCV-100 youtube clips are interesting. The amp is too harsh sounding for my ears....can't say I'd pay boutique prices for that one.

Obviously, different strokes for diff'rent folks. For me - a fan of hot-rodded Marshall tones - the CCV is a very cool-sounding amp. Meaty, growly, and with thick low end. I don't know that I'd pay the actual price for the amp itself, which even used go for $3000+, but a module I would hop on like *that*.

JD said:
Those Cameron CCV-100 youtube clips are interesting. The amp is too harsh sounding for my ears....can't say I'd pay boutique prices for that one.

Ya, it just doesn't seem right to me to pay big bucks for a something that is basically a hot-rodded Marshall....to pay for that tone in an affordable module is a different story. Is there not a module out there already that would get pretty close to this tone?

Yeah, the Atomica would be awesome to make a module around too! This is what I'm talking about! hehe However, the CCV is pretty iconic in the boutique world, so I can see why Anthony is considering it as a target mod. There are so many good boutique amps, so I'm glad Anthony is considering this one. If the CCV does well, maybe we can convince him to do an Atomica and a Quickrod (which I saw he did at least one of) and a PT100 and, and and hehe

I had 2 Splawn QR's and was impressed with neither. I have a feeling the JF 1955RR, Salv Roadie, and 1987 could cop a feel of a QR.

I've never owned a Quickrod, but from what I've read of user reviews of people who have owned them, there seems to be a love/hate relationship with them. The people who love them seem to do so quite devoutly. I'd definitely like to try a module based on one to see if it would be my thang or not

Btw, Anthony just posted that he is going to be developing a module based around the CCV. Sweet! He's looking for name suggestions, so if any of you have any good ideas and want to be a part of modded module history, go chime in hehe

Mike P wrote :
A Behringer Composer isn't equal to a UA 1176 nor is a MXL condenser equal to a Neumann U47. If you want emulate the sounds that you covet, it's important to use the same exact gear.

Really????? Then doesn?t that blow your whole Randall MTS system sounds 99% out of the water? You do say same exact gear. I agree a module gets you close but a Slodano doesn't have Deyoung trannies like a Soldano for example and about 1000 other differences between the modules/power section of the Randall stuff and the hand wired boutique stuff. There are people call them crazy that can hear a difference in batteries in their foot pedals (Eric Johnson). We all use different cabs, tubes, speakers (some broken in more than others), strings, cables, pickups, bridges and blah blah blah. The main thing is we all also use and posses different ears.

Guys seriously if you wanna hear the differences get in the room with the amp, module or whatever it is you are playing/wanting to play through. Use it alone, in a band situation, record it and just abuse it for some time. Remember this crap is all subjective and the Randall stuff is cheap it's cool and gets some decent tones. Should the modders create boutique modules? Maybe just like it's a courtesy to them to not let their mods out they should contact guys like Trace (Voodoo), Scott (Splawn) and Ben (Fargen) to see if they mind a module. That seems like the right thing to do. Who knows maybe those guys and others want a piece of the pie?

Carry on....

Latest posts